Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)
Religion and Magic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maewyn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:57 pm
EladrinStarmist
Zadkiel
I'm not a-religious. I think organized religion is the evil.

I, however, have a deep spiritualism... Or whatever the word is.

Thing is, while i don't go to church or pray "as they teach you in sunday school", i however, seem to have some kind of relation with god... He's mi compadrito :>

Heh, i dunno. I just don't see much anything "holy" or "special" about this whole business... It's just normal and simple. We like to make things complicated, though..

You don't see anything holy or special about being able to effect change in the world simply by using your own will, either through spells or prayer or a combination of both? Interesting. Anyone care to comment?

you appearently want too...

There is nothing special about it if everyone has the ability to do so.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:57 pm
In my faith/religion, particularly the Christian Catholic faith, religion is faith in God and in His works and in His power. You put all your faith in Him that He will provide for you, as long as you do your best under the guidance of His Words and His Will.

Magic/Sorcery [sors is the Latin word for Fate] is taking things into your own hands, inflicting direct influence onto your reality and your existence and your environment. That's entirely going against faith, because you don't trust God enough to do what's best for you.

God has a plan for all things, and inflicting an individual change in His interwoven, interrelated and web-like plan, disrupts the scheme of all things and may put the entire plan and system into disarray.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is how I view it to be. Magic, when manipulated by people such as you and me, can become self-serving and ultimately selfish. Even if you weave magic in the benefit of someone else, doing so may ultimately change the fate of another. And you cannot make everything alright or work perfectly so that everyone benefits from what you did because you can't. It takes a universe of magical ability to do that and we, the humans in general, have no such kind of power and neither does any other entity than a Higher Existence such as God.

So, having said it that way. It's better to leave the works to One who can deal with it properly.  

animagenic

Dapper Phantom

7,300 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Vengeful Elegance

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 11:58 pm
animagenic
In my faith/religion, particularly the Christian Catholic faith, religion is faith in God and in His works and in His power. You put all your faith in Him that He will provide for you, as long as you do your best under the guidance of His Words and His Will.

Magic/Sorcery [sors is the Latin word for Fate] is taking things into your own hands, inflicting direct influence onto your reality and your existence and your environment. That's entirely going against faith, because you don't trust God enough to do what's best for you.

God has a plan for all things, and inflicting an individual change in His interwoven, interrelated and web-like plan, disrupts the scheme of all things and may put the entire plan and system into disarray.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is how I view it to be. Magic, when manipulated by people such as you and me, can become self-serving and ultimately selfish. Even if you weave magic in the benefit of someone else, doing so may ultimately change the fate of another. And you cannot make everything alright or work perfectly so that everyone benefits from what you did because you can't. It takes a universe of magical ability to do that and we, the humans in general, have no such kind of power and neither does any other entity than a Higher Existence such as God.

So, having said it that way. It's better to leave the works to One who can deal with it properly.

but what if god gives you the ability to do things. Like a god-given ability to heal. Does that not affect the design?  
The Round Table (Discussion and Debates)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games