Reply Home
Election

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fireyforce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:50 pm
Any idea how the election occuring today could affect American history?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:13 pm
Well, first and probably foremost, is the real probability that Obama's election will do a great deal to improve race relations and provide minorities with a very concrete example of what opportunity really means in this country. Given his ideology as a more calm and reasoned thinker and one who does not warmonger, as well as the rather refreshingly uncowboyish behavior he displays, his election was seen the world over as a good sign. I expect that America's global reputation - in shreds, thanks to The Shrub - will probably improve.

But aside from the obvious history Obama has made as the first African-American president-elect, I think there's even the shot he has at being the FDR of our time - a good goal to strive for, given our current economic crisis. He's already been compared favorably to Roosevelt, and has some of the key things in common with him. He's already proven himself a great communicator with a keen understanding of the power of current technology and the way people use it, as well as one who not only realizes that he's merely a cog in the national machinery, but also says as much to the public. During his campaign, while McCain filled his speeches with "I will do X and I will reform Y," Obama kept saying "we." "We can do this; we can change things." It's empowering to a nation that has long felt apathetic and disenfranchised, as sheep and cattle to be led, not as humans who have a say in these things, and it's empowerment that's long overdue. At the very least, he's made us care and hope again, given us the sense that we're in command of our own destinies. Not that I expect miracles of the man, but what his campaign alone has done is pretty electric.  

Lhuv-Kerapht

4,000 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Nasuko-San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:06 pm
Regardless of what he does, he'll be remembered in the annals of history as--first and foremost--the first black president of the United States of America. Not the president who fixed the global economy or pulled the troops out of a war. He'll be remembered as the black guy who got to the top.

Which is really sad.  
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff