Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
School Boots Boy Over Jesus Costume

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was it nessicary to send him home?
  Yes, it was disruptive and offensive
  He dressed up as Jesus... what's the big deal?
  I'm laughing right now
  I don't care
  The moron who made this poll left out something witty for me to vote
View Results

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:23 pm
http://news.aol.com/article/school-boots-boy-over-jesus-costume/235134
Quote:
School officials in Paramus, N.J., weren't impressed when a student chose to pose as the Chosen One on Halloween.
Alex Woinski, 13, told WCBS-TV he was inspired to dress up as Jesus Christ because his friends say his shoulder-length brown hair makes him resemble the prophet. The teen completed the getup with sandals, a robe, a fake beard, a sash and thorns.

The principal of West Brook Middle School said that the boy was sent home because the costume was disruptive to other students. "Children were [asking], where is the boy who is Jesus Christ?" principal Joan Broe told WCBS-TV. "It was disrupting the education process."
Alex said school officials told him the costume was "offensive to some students."
Alex, whose mother is Catholic and father is Jewish, has developed an interest in religion, according to WCBS-TV. He recently celebrated his Bar Mitzvah.
"I think the whole freedom of speech and expression has definitely had a damper put on it, and this is proof of that," said Kim Woinski, Alex's mother.
Alex went trick-or-treating as Jesus on Friday night.

So, what of a child being forced to go home for dressing as Jesus?
A step in the right direction?
The religious fundamentalists overreacting?
Or just an obnoxious kid?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:36 pm
User Image

It's a bit excessive... his costume wasn't hurting anyone.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:01 pm
Wait, were other students dressed in costumes that day?

If the school lets students wear costumes to school on Halloween, then it's ridiculous for the school to send the student home for dressing up as Jesus. To be offended by someone dressing up as Jesus is overreacting.

On the other hand, if he was the only one in costume then the school officials do have a point in that he might be "disruptive".  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:13 pm
A kid in my highschool dressed up as jesus for halloween one year, it was really funny. although it didn't cause as much controversy as the really ugly chick who dressed as a hooker. that was just plain nasty!  

Jackbedead

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:01 am
Jackbedead
although it didn't cause as much controversy as the really ugly chick who dressed as a hooker. that was just plain nasty!

Reminds me of the song "Slutty Halloween" by Jill Sobule. What an idea. Never mind all the revealing costumes, just dress up as a hooker. stare  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:04 am
The MoUsY spell-checker
Wait, were other students dressed in costumes that day?

If the school lets students wear costumes to school on Halloween, then it's ridiculous for the school to send the student home for dressing up as Jesus. To be offended by someone dressing up as Jesus is overreacting.

On the other hand, if he was the only one in costume then the school officials do have a point in that he might be "disruptive".

I believe that all of the students were allowed to dress up.
And hey, the kid's even interested in religion. Or so the news article says.
Are we to take that to believe he's actually Christian, or just curious?  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:15 pm
I think the School overreacted. It was just a costume and I doubt he was was causing a disturbance like the School said.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:58 am
How could they claim HIS costume was disruptive if all the students were dressed up? I'm pretty sure some chick in a sparkly princess dress is just as distracting.  

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:33 pm
Wow...that's sad.

It's a costume...who is it hurting? Really?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:58 pm
Oh, that makes sense...
His Jesus getup was distracting to kids while the guy in the chicken suit blends perfectly into the background.
I've seen kids come to school dresses up as Biblical characters all the time and no one seriously gives a crap.
I guess it's just those darn New Jersey residents...

cup_noodles

Slimy Hats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 pm
Dumb as hell, imo. My brother, who has long brown hair down to the middle of his back and is known throughout almost the entire high school as "Jesus", dressed up as Jesus for his Senior picture, and the photographer and entire class of 2009 went along with it. Yet this school can't let one kid wear a Halloween costume on Halloween?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:25 pm

User Image

That is really stupid.
We used to have a Mormon principal at my school and people dressed up a Jesus and no one got sent home.
One was preaching to me because I was a vampire, it was funny.
XD

User Image

Marukar

Arios V

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 pm
I wouldn't care if I saw some guy dressed up as Jesus. It wasn't hurting anyone so I think this was just a little excessive, but hey at least he didn't get suspended  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:30 pm
Who was the idiot who thought it was serious business? >:l

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash