Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"Devotees Say Teen Is Buddha Reborn"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think?
  An obvious lie. No one can go for 3 years without food/water. [Insert some other outrage here]
  It could happen...
  I don't
  Those 300 million people are idiots
View Results

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:10 pm
Quote:
RATANPUR, Nepal (Nov. 12) - The teenage boy revered by many as a reincarnation of Buddha sat silently in the jungle as he blessed his devotees Wednesday with a light tap on the head, which they consider the touch of the divine.
His face was still, his long hair spilled over his white robe, and he never said a word.
The followers of Ram Bahadur Bamjan, 18, believe he has been meditating without food and water since he was first spotted in the jungles of southern Nepal in 2005, when believers say he spent months without moving, sitting with his eyes closed beneath a tree.
Bamjan re-emerged this week to meet his followers, who have come by the thousands to see him in the jungles of Ratanpur, about 100 miles south of Katmandu.
"I got a chance to see God today," Bishnu Maya Khadka, a housewife, said after receiving Bamjan's blessing Wednesday. "They say he is Buddha, but for me he is just God."
Bamjan was expected to address his followers on Nov. 18 and then retreat again into the jungle for meditation, said Kamal Tamang, a Buddhist priest.
Bamjan received the pilgrims from atop a podium covered in yellow cloth and placed before a massive tree. He looked healthy and strong and showed no signs of starvation or dehydration.
Buddhism, which has about 325 million followers, mostly in Asia, teaches that every soul is reincarnated after death in another bodily form.

http://news.aol.com/article/devotees-flock-to-buddha-reincarnation/244051?icid=sphere

So, this 18-year-old kid is believed by about 325 million people to be the reincarnation of Buddha, as the article states.
Is this true?
Evidently he has been "meditating without food and water since he was first spotted in the jungles of southern Nepal in 2005, when believers say he spent months without moving"
Three years without food and water? That's quite a claim.
So, what do you think? True, or false? Is this fellow really the reincarnation of Buddha? If not, how did he get 300 million people to follow him?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:13 pm
Impossible.

We learned about it in chemistry.
The guy that went longest without food lived like, sixty something days (or maybe weeks, I forget).
3 years would be rediculous~  

[The Looney Bin]

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 pm
People who are already predisposed to believe in buddhism will follow anything endorsed by the temples. The two times I've been to Thailand it was overwhelming how hardcore some of those people can be.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:39 pm
Oh, this reminds me of this guy who supposedly lasted months on nothing but 'the energy of the sun'. Where he spend an hour or two meditating in front of the sun. Many scientists argued with him, until the guy said to lock him in a room for nine months with only the view of the sun. It didn't happen. Everyone knew he'd die, so they didn't want to be responsible for his death.  

Ozraptor

Arios V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:33 pm
3 years without food or water...that's not physically possible unless you were dead or in hibernation. I don't think he's the reincarnation of Buddha, just one of his followers who's probably let "The Power of The Universe" go to his head.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 pm
Clearly he's used up all that buddha fat in the three years he's eaten nothing.
But I say he's sneaking hot pockets.

josiv

Loiterer

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:32 pm
Those blessings he was giving better have been free. Although I'm sure he must have received a crap load of donations that day. I have more respect for Buddhism then most religions because Buddhist's tend to be non violent and not extreme. But in this case, Its probably just going to turn into a money grabbing scheme.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:12 pm
The person is BSing, and the followers are ignorant to buddism.

According to the philosophy, and history, Buddha reached Nirvana (broke the circle). So, he cannot be reborn and the followers of this fake Buddha is an idiot, taking advantage of people.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff