Where do I go? **A Guide For New Guild Members**

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:39 pm
Since the guild has grown to such a great size, I'm putting in a sort of directory for any new members or someone who's lost. I'll update it as needed. It will include guides to all of the subforums, events, contests, etc as well as official updates and new rules. It would probably be helpful for old members to look here for updates, but I may just create a regular update thread separate from this in a little bit.

Since it might take me a little while to complete, I'll lock it for now. I'll probably reserve about ten posts, and then have it open for any questions about the guild.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 pm
Table of Contents
1. Intro to the Guild
2. Forums and Subforums
3. Events and Contests
4. Tips to Get Started
5. Reserved
6. Reserved
7. Reserved
8. Reserved

penandpaper67
Captain

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:51 pm
Intro to the Guild

Hello all! Penandpaper67 here with a few words about the guild for newcomers. Although I'm sure that you've already been to the Welcome thread (*cough cough*), I thought I might as well have an explanation here as well. This is clearly a place for readers and writers, hence the name, but it has expanded to include movie buffs, music-o-holics, and pretty much anybody who wants to have a conversation with some intelligent people. I'll explain where to put what a little later on, but there's basically a subforum for everything now (and if there isn't, we can make one). As of yet, you're not obligated to be active, although you're more likely to be included in guild activities and events if you are. Everyone here is very congenial and interesting, with great opinions to share on the latest novels. There are also some amazing writing critiquers out there, some of which give a little more guaranteed personalized attention in the writing workshop. So join the throng, and you'll come to enjoy the wonderful people as well as the topics discussed in the guild! Oh, and if you're wondering, I'm captain and creator of the guild! I'm around pretty often, so if you want guild help or just a chat, I'll be happy to oblige!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 pm
Forums and Subforums

We have many different subforums in the guild which can make life quite confusing. I'll go over ever guild-related forum so that the confusion will end here.

MAIN FORUM - This is the first forum page you come to in the guild. It's the only place where you can access all of the subforums in the guild. This is where the basic guild information is posted. The first thing you should look at when new to the guild is the Welcome sticky; please post in there so that other members can get to know you and I can recognize your username when you post afterwards. wink After that, the world is yours! The main forum is mostly for general discussion about books. This is the stuff that cannot be narrowed down into a specific genre and is not about one book/series/author. I would also appreciate if you'd post whatever topics you're not sure where to put here, so that I see them right away. This is also where I'll post guild business. I suggest looking at announcements and stickies every time someone posts; they often contain critical information about guild events.
STICKIES -
Welcome! (PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) - This contains the basic rules for the guild. You can also (and should) introduce yourself here. Please do not skip by this sticky, it's the most important in the guild. It's the first or second sticky you should visit and ideally the first thread you should post in.
Banners - This is where the official guild banner and member made banners are posted for you to put in your siggie. If you wish to make a banner for the guild (we could use some new ones), feel free to post them here.
Suggestions Anyone? - This is where you can make any suggestions for the guild. This can be for an event or contest, a subforum, or a way in which you think the guild should be run.
Affiliations - This is where you can see who we are affiliated with and find links to those guilds. An affiliation is basically a friendly alliance between multiple guilds who help advertise each other. To suggest an affiliation please PM me.
Where do I go? **A Guide For New Guild Members** - Do I even have to say? It's the sticky you're in right now!

WRITING SUBFORUM - This is where you can post whatever writing you wish to be critiqued or critique others' writings. You can also discuss more general topics relating to writing, such as choice of writing utensil or the use of pen names. This is probably the most popular subforum because it covers the widest range of material.
STICKIES -
Writing Rules - This sticky contains the basic rules for the writing subforum. This is one of the only subforums in which the rules are slightly more specific than for the rest of the guild.
Past Contest Winners - This contains entries of past contest winners. These are only writing contest winners. If there was a joint art contest, those winners might be there as well.

FANTASY/SCI-FI SUBFORUM - Get your daily dose of fantasy here! You can discuss any fatasy/sci-fi books, short stories, etc. here. There are a couple of more general fantasy threads in there (and you're welcome to start another), but this subforum is mainly for book discussion. There are a lot of posts, but make sure you look through them before starting a new topic so that you're not repeating.
STICKIES -
Fantasy/Sci-fi Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

REALISTIC FICTION SUBFORUM - You can discuss any realistic fiction here, as well as general topics relating to realistic fiction.
STICKIES -
Realistic Fiction Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

MYSTERY SUBFORUM - You can discuss any mystery here, as well as general topics relating to the mystery genre. These discussions can relate to fictional or nonfictional mysteries.
STICKIES -
Mystery Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

OTHER GENRES SUBFORUM - If you wish to discuss a book that does not fall into any of the other categories (Horror, Historical Fiction, Nonfiction, etc.) please place your topic here. You can also discuss authors who write in multiple genres here.
STICKIES -
Other Genres Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

ROLEPLAY SUBFORUM - This is where you can roleplay with your fellow guild members. We have quite a few good roleplays going and you are welcome to start many more. Just make sure you read the rules first and follow them. If you're not sure how to roleplay, look at the ones already in existence for examples. It's basically like writing a story with multiple people, all looking at it from different points of view.
STICKIES -
Roleplay Rules - Please read these rules before starting your own roleplay! I still recommend reading them if you're going to join somone else's, but in that case they'll probably have their own set of rules as well.

GRAPHIC NOVELS SUBFORUM - This is where you can discuss your favorite graphic novels, manga, or even comic books with other obsessed Gaians.
STICKIES -
Graphic Novels Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

MOVIES SUBFORUM - This is where you can discuss your favorite movies with your fellow guild members. You don't have to discuss solely book based movies; you can discuss any movies you want as long as they are appropriate.
STICKIES -
Movies Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

MUSIC SUBFORUM - This is where you can discuss your favorite music or post your own original lyrics. You can also discuss music in general here.
STICKIES -
Music Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

WRITING WORKSHOP - This subforum is run by crew member Veiled Seraph. You can find out more about it by visiting the subforum, but basically you get prompts for different writing exercises, post your writing based on the prompt, and get critiques on your writing selections.
STICKIES -
Looking for Workshop Crew! - Want to become one of the critiquers? Look here for details.
The Official Participant's List - If you've posted and become a participant, your name will be here.
Writing Workshop Rules - The rules of the Writing Workshop are located here.

CHATTERBOX SUBFORUM - This subforum is the only subforum in which you can post whatever you'd like (as long as it follows the general guild rules). You can get to know your fellow members here, play games, or just post about whatever. This is also where you can advertise websites, arena entries, or pretty much anything else.
STICKIES -
Guild Art - This is where you can discuss art in general. You can start another thread about it too, this is just one of the original threads from the beginning, when we only had twenty people or so.
Chatterbox Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

FANFICTION SUBFORUM - In this subforum, you may discuss already written fanfiction or even post your own for critique. It's basically the same as the Writing Subforum, but with a more narrow focus.
STICKIES -
Fanfiction Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular. There are a lot of specifics to this one, so I suggest you actually read it.

AROUND GAIA SUBFORUM
- Here you may discuss Gaia in general. Whether you wish to advertise your entry in an arena, brag about your house, or ask advice about something Gaia-related, this is where you go.
STICKIES -
Around Gaia Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

THE IDEAS CENTER SUBFORUM - This is where you can ask for advice or help concerning your writing or really anything else. Essentially your personal wikipedia, this is where you can get information about anything.
STICKIES -
The Ideas Center Rules - This is just a basic review of the guild rules and how they apply to this subforum in particular.

ADVERTISING THREAD - We have an advertising thread in the regular Gaia Forums. Here's the link: Click here! Stop by sometime and give it a bump!  

penandpaper67
Captain

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 am
Events and Contests

We'll often times have events or contests running. I'll post the current ones right here so you can get the gist of what's going on.

Contests:
1. There's a writing contest running. See the announcement in the main forum for more info.

Events:
1. Hopefully a more successful posting event will be starting soon! I'll put up the details later today, so keep posted.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:56 am
Tips to Get Started

I'll update this once a month with a few new tips, but these are suggestions about where to go to meet people or get involved. These are applicable only after you've read the welcome thread and have gotten aquainted with the guild (if you don't know what I'm referring to in a tip, you should look through the guide again). They'll change with the guild, so be sure to rely on the most recent ones. Many of them are pretty general too. Some of them are more specifically for people who are new to Gaia in general, but all relate to the guild.

December 2008:
1. Join a roleplay. They're a good way to meet other people, and then you have a steady place to post. This is great for people who feel like they're visiting the guild, but never posting; then you can always have a place to post, providing that someone has posted since you last did. If you've never roleplayed before or aren't confident with your roleplaying skills, try out one without a character profile requirement. Feel free, however, to jump right in and get involved in one of the already existing roleplays, or even create your own.

2. Enter the avi contest. There are three reasons for this: you get in my good books, you'll get known by those fellow members who are smart enough to vote (hem hem), and you get gold. Must I say anymore?

February 2009:
1. Check out the Guild Quests. You might get gold for things that you never knew you could get gold for. You might've already done some of them without knowing; then you could just PM me and get the gold.

2. Start a new thread. It really helps people get to know who you are if you take the initiative to start your own stuff and actually participate in discussion.

3. Talk to someone outside of the guild. Not like a stalker, of course, but maybe PM someone to continue a slightly off-topic conversation or check into the stuff people advertise in the Chatterbox subforum. I'm always open to PMs from people who just want to talk! biggrin

March 2009:
1. Post in the new subforums. We just got a bunch, and besides boosting activity, this will lead to more discussions in these areas (as there's very little right now) and you have plenty you can post about. Plus, I'll remember who you are for sure because you'll be one of the first to post in a certain subforum.

2. Participate! There are plenty of things going on right now. There's the writing contest and another event coming up very soon. Also, I'll be sending out a mass PM starting today, and if you volunteer to help with that, you'll be in my good books for life.  

penandpaper67
Captain

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:57 am
Reserved  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:02 pm
Reserved  

penandpaper67
Captain

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:18 pm
Reserved  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:20 pm
The Guide is open! If you have any questions about the guild or suggestions directly related to this thread, please post them here!  

penandpaper67
Captain

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:09 pm
I've added some updates, so yeah... Make sure you take a look if you need it!  
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 am
Hey Penandpaper67! I'm new to this guild, thank you for the invite! But I have a question, I have to type properly when I talk to you, like I am now?
Since I've joined, are there specific days we have to come by here?  

xotrishatoxo

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm
You are never required to look at a specific thread or the guild in general on a specific day. And you should type in full sentences and such, so yeah... It doesn't have to be perfect though.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games