Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The holiday stressor- No christmas?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are my parents justified?
  yes
  no
View Results

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:49 am
Ok those familiar with my past posts...(Granted it has been awhile since I last posted.) know my school is ignorant and my parents unaccepting. well being "out" as it were to my parents for this christamas has been hard on them. Of course I've been an atheist for most of my life but only in the past three years labeled myself as such, This year my parents knowing made them angry. When we started disscussing christmas plans...the verdict? I won't be getting a christmas this year.

This to me doesn't seem fair, I'm still excpected to buy everyone else things while I will be overlooked. Christmas started as a religious holiday but nowdays it's about love, family, giving ect...not so much religion in the right households. My family has always been fairweather...(or holiday christains.) So now being holier than tho, ripped one of my favorite holidays from me.

I fought my parents on the fact and their reaction...freeze my debit card. I'm still 17 so they are legally able to do this, but over the most giving holiday of the year? Seriously? WTF?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:05 am

User Image

: /
My parents have been saying this kind of stuff for awhile, but they are only joking...
That's really harsh. But I don't really have any good advice for you though...sorry.
Hopefully your parents will be nicer and give you a Christmas.

User Image

Marukar

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:01 pm
Let us both hope then.

Plus side my friends are kiddnapping me for a tre lighting cerimony...I'm still getgting some christamas. LOL  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:05 pm
So much for Christmas being about love and giving. Sorry about your parents doing this to you cry  

Zambimaru

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:58 pm
Keep fighting the powah, sister. For one day you shall conquer >:l

Maybe they'll come to understand that not everybody must have the same beliefs, someday, say... when you move out of your parent's? xd

Well, mine won't let me have my own life until I start working for a living myself. If I dare contradict them they are capable of kicking me out of the house, and I really need to get a degree... so, if I ever want to stand against them, I must have somewhere to go in case I got kicked.

rolleyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:04 am
The best thing you can do is find ways to give. Continue to be a good person...and that alone will show something to your parents. That even though they chose to exclude you from the holiday, you did not exclude yourself from the true meaning of it.  

Sanguvixen

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 pm
User Image

Well, I hope your Christmas ended up better than you were anticipating, OP.

I actually came out to my mother just the other day. We had a discussion about exactly what my view of 'god' is and why that view renders me a non-theist. She was surprisingly non-converty about it. And I went to church with her for Christmas Eve and picked up my old altar duties that I've been doing for fourteen years. It ended up being fairly entertaining because a friend of mine that I've known from that church since we were small children was there doing altar duties too. We both used to be equally devout and involved in church functions (both of our mothers are as well) and now we're equally atheistic and we snickered and made jokes quietly through the service. Plus we had a bottle of brandy and benedictine that we snuck out a few times to share with my mother and some of the other people who were there. XD

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 pm
That is just ******** really... I could NEVER do that to a child of mine - if I were to ever have any.

My brother has really been an a** lately and I really considered keeping what I got him but I just didn't have the heart to do so.  

Goddess of the Coulee

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 pm
What was the end result?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:38 pm
My mother would never withhold xmas gifts from me, she knows it's always been about me wanting crap (Jesus, who the hell mentioned Jesus???)

But to be fair, when I have kids there won't be any of that xmas nonsense in my house. That way they'll never expect it or have a reason to whine.  

Lemon Jally

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:59 pm
So much for the spirit of Christmas. A holidays of joy and giving and friendly "let's spend time together and be happy" feelings ruined by your parents acting "holier than thou." Who are they to deprive you of this? sad

Your parents sound like mine. They do the same things to me, but they only suspect that I'm athiest. (Imagine what they'd do if they knew for sure). They have given me very strong indirect warnings that if I ever contradict them in anything again, (religious matters included), I can expect an "accident" and a trip to the hospital, a religious boarding school across the country, and no support from them in anything I ever do.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games