Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Help me with the Chinese New Year?!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What chinese animal is your origin?
Year of the Rat
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Year of the Tiger
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Year of the Dragon
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Year of the Horse
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Year of the Monkey
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Year of the Dog
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Year of the Ox
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Year of the Rabbit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Year of the Snake
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Year of the Rooster
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

teamaiden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:14 pm
Hey I heard that there's Chinese new year. I don't know why there's a chinese year starting in early febuary or in late january. How comes there's a new year and a Chinese New Year? Do they celebrate both??Can you explain to me how you guys celebrate Chinese New Year?Where you get the red cards? confused confused (If you live in NYC, tell me!)
*In the poll there's no sheep and pig just comment if your chinese origin are one of them!*(sorry gaia wont let me add no more than 10 options)  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm

There's Chinese New Year because we have a different calendar. Or something.
        /horrible at explaining.
        . 3.;

What red cards?

Princess Rhode
Crew

Wingedvalkrie

Business Fatcat

7,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 am
26th January, it goes for 2 weeks.
Chinese follow a different thing from western. Celebrate by praying [but i cbb hehe], seeing relatives, red packets, give cards and crazy feasts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm
The Chinese generally follow the lunar calendar, which sometimes varies from the solar calendar considerably. Thus Chinese New Years can take place on different dates depending on the year involved. Red cards are usually given by friends and relatives to other friends and relatives. It's all very complex.

I assume that you must be non-Asian, or at least non-Chinese, because all Chinese should be familiar with the New Year customs.  

Minielf

Blind Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:36 pm
yeah, chinese have a more complicated calendar. new year is different each year and is either in january or febuary. apparently, next year's is the same day as valentine's day. and by red cards i assume you mean the red envelopes. you can buy them in most chinese stores, even supermarkets. they are given out by married people to the younger, unmarried generation. if i recall correctly, it usually contains money in which the the tens digits must be even(but not four. example: 20,60, etc.). i think red envelopes with odd numbered amounts of money is given at funerals, but i'm not too sure. but as of now, amount doesn't usually matter.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:35 pm
hmm... currently I'm obsessed with food. Everyone tell me what you eat during new years and holidays. I usually have seafood or whatever's available since we don't have an asian market close by TT  

mymiridon

Riza Hawkeye 100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 pm
You don't have the sheep or the boar in your poll.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games