Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So... Talk to me about the Middle East

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:38 pm
As you've probably have seen all over the news these days, there is a huge crisis in the Middle East between Hamas and Israel.

I don't really feel like typing too much so here are the questions:

1) Who do you support as of now.
2) Do you think there is a solution in sight?
3) Are either sides justified?
4) What should the country you live in do about it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 am
Palestine
More or less, but my solution isn't the same one as the politicians that want to get re-elected by the Jews.
As far as I know, no.
Stop giving our tax dollars to fund foreign occupation.  

[The Looney Bin]

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:57 pm
I support palestine.... how many ******** dead civilians does israel need to realize that rocket's are STILL BEING ******** FIRED AT THEM. I've had other discussions with some other guys on the internets that say: well you shouldn't play with fire if you don't wanna get burned. Or stuff like: Most of those 600(don't know recent estimates) people dead were people who was fighting or shooting rockets at us. Against the 9 Israelis (5 of them killed by friendly fire and or MILITARY casualties) i find those arguments bullshit.

Then again... i've heard somewhere that these guys are going thru re-elections... and yes, it only makes sense to look "tough on the terrorists" for your re-election campaign. Either way, they're still gonna force them to go thru the ******** checkpoints; they're still gonna be the ones that are in control of the water supplies; and they're still gonna occupy parts of palestine no matter what.

There's nothing, anyone, anywhere can do about it. Not necessarily because Jews make a good percentage of votes (they don't, i mean even without florida Obama would've won), but because the US makes too much money selling all the good guns to isrealis. Hell, by now they can nuke whoever the ******** they want too. I like to picture Israel as the US' little brother with an attitude.

Neither side is justified... or so does the Politically Correctness laws tell us. But ********, i sure as hell understand why the palestinians have NOTHING ELSE to look up to.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:29 pm
I support both.
If they would look at it from a secular standpoint
Unfortunately, both have compelling historical claims to the land they live on. I think Israel is going way too far against the Palestinians and that the rest of the Middle East should learn to live with Israel in their midst.
Encourage a two state solution  

Athena_Ritashe

Lemon Jally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:43 pm
Palestine.

Not really.

Both are but they take it too far.

Cut funding to Israel. It might help if our next president isn't trying to suck up the religious vote...  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:02 am
User Image

I find that following international news tends to make me unnecessarily angry about things over which I have no control. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth, therefore I unfortunately choose not to keep close tabs on conflicts like this.

I have been aware that there is a conflict, but I am not aware of any specifics. Would someone be so kind as to give an overview of this event, or link me to an article that will do so in a succinct manner? I tried to read up on this conflict once a few weeks ago but everything was so bogged down in information which wasn't pertinent to my understanding of the big picture that tbh I got bored and went to read something else instead.

I find the entire Israel/Palestine situation ridiculous to the point that when this sort of thing comes up my brain sort of shuts itself off. I don't understand how people can be such utter children that they can't shut up and agree to share things. It's really sad that most of the world tends to operate this way to at least some degree.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 am
Palestine the most.
Realistically, ethically, no.
They both have their claims, but I think the whole thing is sort of ridiculous.
Grow some, and stop doing what they're doing to be "politically correct" about it.

---

Just because my ancestors used to live in Sweden does not give me the right to go over there now and kick the people currently living there out under the claim that "I was here first" and that "it's my homeland".

Ever since humanity began people have been migrating and moving, due to whatever cause. If we all want to go back to our "origional homeland" then why don't we all just go on in and set up shop in Africa? I don't think so. There are people living there now, and no one has a right to get rid of them or say they can't be there. I don't what horrible tragic circumstance forced your people to move somewhere else a thousand years ago, that doesn't give you the right to now come back in and take that land from people who've been here ever since you were kicked out. By that token we might as well re-draw the medieval boundries of the world and set those as our new lines, or send everyone back to Africa.

I don't care what book you have that tells you that you belong in a certain piece of land or that it's been promised to you. To me that's as legitimate as me saying that by the power of the FSM, it's my right to have pasta carbonara every night for free from the local Italian restaurant.

May I remind you of the era in which Zionism came about in, and that the two world wars both sprung out of what ultimatley was nationalism.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games