Welcome to Gaia! ::

Neon Love

Back to Guilds

A place to hangout and be yourself among friends who Love you. 

Tags: Friendship, Love, Activities, Craziness, Anime 

Reply Philosophy & Life
Random Trivia Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have u played Trivia Pursuit?
  Yes
  No
View Results

LittleTnCo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 am
Thanks Anii; I never thought of dat. You ish right. It would be flippin' amazing!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 am
I read this in a astronomy article, they have deduced that there is something extremely massive just outside the observable universe. Kinda wild.  

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Vicious Mockery
Crew

Friendly Browser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:45 am
Gweener
Square Watermelons

Japanese grocery stores had a problem. They are much smaller than their US counterparts and therefore don’t have room to waste. Watermelons, big and round, wasted a lot of space. Most people would simply tell the grocery stores that watermelons grow round and there is nothing that can be done about it. But some Japanese farmers took a different approach. ”If the supermarkets want a space efficient watermelon,” they asked themselves, “How can we provide one?” It wasn’t long before they invented the square watermelon.

The solution to the problem of round watermelons wasn’t nearly as difficult to solve for those who didn’t assume the problem was impossible to begin with and simply asked how it could be done. It turns out that all you need to do is place them into a square box when they are growing and the watermelon will take on the shape of the box.

This made the grocery stores happy and had the added benefit that it was much easier and cost effective to ship the watermelons. Consumers also loved them because they took less space in their refrigerators which are much smaller than those in the US - which resulted in the growers being able to charge a premium price for them.

User Image

User Image

Commentary:
The images are genuine and have not been manipulated.

In fact, square watermelons have been grown in Japan for a number of years. According to a BBC news article published in June 2001, a Zentsuji farmer came up with the innovative idea for a space-saving square watermelon some twenty years earlier. Since then, the square fruit has been sold in various selected outlets across Japan, but they are prohibitively expensive to buy and their potential market is therefore quite limited. The BBC article noted:
Today the cuboid watermelons are hand-picked and shipped all over Japan.

But the fruit, on sale in a selection of department stores and upmarket supermarkets, appeals mainly to the wealthy and fashion-conscious of Tokyo and Osaka, Japan's two major cities.

Each melon sells for 10,000 yen, equivalent to about $83. It is almost double, or even triple, that of a normal watermelon.

"I can't buy it, it is too expensive," said a woman browsing at a department store in the southern city of Takamatsu.

According to another 2001 news article about the square fruit, it was doubtful that there would be much of a potential market for them in the US. However, in 2006, British supermarket chain, Tesco announced plans to sell square watermelons in the UK at much more affordable prices than those sold in Japan. An August 2006 Food Business Review article noted that the square fruit was being produced in Brazil especially for Tesco and was grown using wooden boxes rather than glass containers.

Garden hobbyists have also dabbled in square fruit production. A North Carolina resident has even grown square tomatoes after hearing about the square watermelons grown in Japan. And an August 2007 Lansing State Journal article offered gardeners instructions for growing square watermelons using cinder blocks.

Oh I have heard of them! I even poked one....xD. They're really cool...but they look hard to eat.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 pm
Are FRENCH FRIES Really FRENCH???

It turns out the answer is actually no.

They are Belgian.

Historians state that potatoes were being fried by at least 1680 in the Meuse Valley of Belgium. Locals would eat small fried fish with their meals, but when the river was frozen over, they cut potatoes lengthwise and fried them in oil to use as a substitute.

So why are they called French Fries?

There appears to be 2 main lines of thought on this one. The first is that 'French frying' is the name given to the way in which it was prepared, so regardless of it being potatoes or anything else, if it is lightly fried in oil as such it can be referred to as French fried.

The second is that of a Belgian legend which claims that when British and/or American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, upon tasting the fries they referred to them as 'French', as the official language of the Belgian Army at that time was indeed French.

Gweener

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 am
That is very interesting, I kind of wondered, because I knew it wasn't french.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:16 pm
Hazumu-san
I read this in a astronomy article, they have deduced that there is something extremely massive just outside the observable universe. Kinda wild.

Omg, really? That's so cool!! Absolutely love all that Universe stuff, so cool.
Did you know that most of what we see as stars are really galaxies?

Music of Insanity
Vice Captain

Witty Lunatic

7,650 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Pet Trainer 150

Jade Shark
Crew

5,350 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:24 pm
Ummm. GOLDFISH ONLY HAVE A MEMORY OF THREE SECONDS!!!!!!!! Just thought that I'd put that out there. ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 am
Ha! That's funny!!! No wonder they'll eat til they pop!  

Gweener

Gweener

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:52 pm
I read somewhere that Barbies' full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 pm
There are things called super fluids, they can crawl up the containers they are in. weird!  

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Philosophy & Life

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash