Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Errata for Bill Whitcombs' "The Magician's Companion"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:23 am
Howdy, folks. Although doubtless many of you with this book will have noticed this before me, I've discovered that there're a bunch of inconsistencies and errors in the volume. I'm wondering, does anyone know of a source that might list and correct the errors found inside the book? If not, does anyone have notes on which material in the book is incorrect?

So far I've found a few hrough crossreferencing - page 290, in the Vau section, last row, 4th to last column, there's a "2" instead of a "Z" (Or maybe the angel really is called "Ihia2el"). On the same page, second He section, middle row, second to last and last columns, the "B" should read "V", and the "V" should read "B". Also in this section, the last row, first column "H" should read "M". I'm getting these from a table from Lon Milo DuQuette's "Angel's Demons and Gods of the New Millenium".

The next errors I found are in the Runes section on page 231 - The rune Ansuz's image should read "Odin" instead of "Loki", I think, though traditionally I believe the rune simply meant "A God" or the Aesir. Next up on page 234, the Rune Symbols for both Dagaz and Othila have been switched around.

If I'm incorrect in any of these, please do tell me. If we can't find an errata source, perhaps we could end up making our own.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:03 pm
Not sure on the runes myself. I keep hearing rumors there's going to be an updated release. Ironically a friend of mine in publishing knows Whitcomb, so I'm passing your link along to prod him a bit wink  

DragonScholar

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:40 pm
DragonScholar
Not sure on the runes myself. I keep hearing rumors there's going to be an updated release. Ironically a friend of mine in publishing knows Whitcomb, so I'm passing your link along to prod him a bit wink

Whoa, thanks very much, chief! It's appreciated! =]  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:00 pm
No prob. I like Whitcomb's work.

Unfortunately it appears the publisher Llewellyn (sp? I NEVER get it right) has the rights. The "Magician's Reflection" is being republished sometime in the next year or so under another publisher.  

DragonScholar

Alkhemi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08 am
I hope they do release a corrected 3rd edition. I really like the book, but the inconsistencies and the other assorted errors are bit annoying.  
The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games