Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheism + Friendship/Love Life = ? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JohnnyRingo45

350 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:40 pm
When I started exploring other ideas about the whole religion thing(I was about thirteen) a friend of mine somehow thought i was a satanist. He was one of those kids who was always told what to think, so when he was presented with an anomaly(myself) he went the only way he could and immediately assumed I believed the opposite of what he did. To him that would make me a satanist. So he bailed on me. Which is alright, the guys still a moron.

My parents hate that I'm atheist but aren't even religious themselves.

My wifu is kinda atheist, but it's hard for her because her family is full hardcore bible-thumpers.  
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 pm
I personally think I'm too young for a love relationship, but I will say that being an Atheist WILL effect my love life. I guess because most people here are some kind of Christian.

Quote:
I once went out with a guy who was a very strong Christian but he knew I was and Atheist but he told me that it didn't matter and for that time that we went out it never became a problem. Eventually we went our separate ways only to get back together a little while later. This time around however, after only three days he called me up and said that he had to end it because the bible forbid him to go out with me. It just broke my heart, because I really liked the guy and I felt that he was being way to serious about something, that to me is a load of crap.

eek
That jerk!  

I Am A Mountie

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 am
I just had a dream about this last night. In it, my best friend found out I was Atheist, so she showed me a passage in her bible that said something like, "I do not believe in God, therefore I am insolent and will go to hell." She asked me if that changed my mind, and when I said no she shot me a look as though I had just killed her puppy. I laughed and said, "Well what do you expect?! I don't believe in this stuff." To which she responded, "Well, then... That's your choice, but we can no longer be friends."

It was a rather somber dream, but thankfully, that's all it is. She and I don't talk about religion very often, and when we do, I'm rather passive and simply listen. She has a strong belief in God, so I try not to rock the boat too much. Even if I did directly state I was an Atheist, she would not respond saying we can not be friends (though I do sometimes wonder if we would be as close, which is rather sad).  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:36 am
Let's see... both of my close friends are religious in some way, shape or form. I'm a hardcore atheist. Most of the time, the subject doesn't come up, but when it does, I try to keep a level head and learn from the experiences.

One of these girls I know, or wanted to be closer to, was highly religious. It drove me INSANE, because she would always post these bulletins on myspace about how wonderful god is and the things he's done for her. I sent her a message, basically telling her off, saying that I'm an atheist and would prefer not to see all these bulletins about that (because it's annoying.. -.-.) She messaged me back saying that I was attacking her beliefs and she's hurt now (because her beliefs are important to her)... and that she's scared to hang out with me.. O_o She goes to my college and I've seen her a couple times since, but yeah.. -.- Uhg..

I'm a nice person, but jeez.. -.- Just because I'm not all about religion doesn't mean I wanna hurt you.  

Flaratia

MahouTragicQueen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:35 pm
Matt Dilahuny (of the Atheist Experience/Atheist Community of Austin) told this story about a friend of his who was an atheist who was married to a Catholic. They were fine about being different religions, but they decided to end their marriage for other reasons, still on good terms. During the divorce the Catholic decides that he want custody of the kids. He takes her to court and tried to say he didn't think she was fit to raise the children because she was an atheist. When Matt told us this, the trail was ongoing, so I don't what happened.

I couldn't be friends with someone who couldn't discuss religion. That's why all my religious friends are crazy religious. I think it is more consistent that moderate religion. Most of my friends I met either at the place where the street preachers preach, atheist club or a religious club.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:26 pm
Aw crap Jehovah's Witness?? They drive me crazy! stressed They go too far trying to "save" people and they are beyond strict! (Well at least thats what most of the Jehovah Witnesses I've encountered and heard of are like) I'm not trying to trash talk here but I can't help it. I get riled up just thinking about them! As for religion affecting my ties with other people.. Yes its kinda depressing that they'd let their religion take their life over and shun me for being an Atheist.. In fact right now I'm undergoing a ton of stress and depression at the moment because I have a boyfriend (2 years of dating him without breaking up) who puts God before anything else... First comes God, then comes everyone else, then himself last.. It kind of discomforts me a lot and it hurts too. He always said he'd love me no matter what and would never leave my side but deep in my mind I know that if he knew how much I truly hated religion especially that non-existant God of his or that I was an Atheist... He'd turn his back on me for sure... It seriously tears me to shreds inside knowing he'd throw me aside and turn completely against me if it were a choice between me or this God that people made up long ago... Just before I joined this guild I asked him if he'd be uncomfortable if I started associating with Atheists more and he said yes. Now I felt really uncomfortable about joining on the first day.. So what I told him was that I was just going to be here to ask a few questions for some research I'm currently conducting. (When really I just wanted to be here to hang out with other sensible Atheists who will understand my opinions and beliefs much better than an any religious person can.) He was then put a little more at ease when he heard this but still couldn't help adding a little "becareful they might influence you" which made me feel like I had just been kicked in the stomach. That was probably the first lie I had told him in a very long time.. For now this problem is just being kept at bay.. But sooner or later this will become a huge issue that will cause even worse problems and eventually ruin us... Thinking about it depresses me a lot.. crying  

Lordress Viper

Beloved Goat

13,075 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Kurai Keiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:23 pm
Friends, not so much. Love interests? Psh. I think I could stand it if we never talked about religion at all.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff