Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Everyday Knitting: Treasures from a ragpile.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Supertheory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm
I found this book at the store today, in a pile of books that were covered in dust and hadn't been touched for years. The price tag is weathered and printed by hand on a small sticker. This book has been sitting for 7 years, unnoticed because it doesn't hold patterns. When I looked into the publication a bit more, I found that the book is now discontinued (which is probably why it's so expensive: $67CAD)

What is it about? Historical knitting. The author, a Norweigan woman who bought and worked in a "Shoddy" factory (a factory where old woolens are torn up and recycled into fibre), and how she began collecting examples of knitware as far back as the 1800's. This book covers fashion trends, new development in knitting technology, and even the origins of knitting.

I've only read the first chapter or so, but it's really really interesting, so check it out!

Everyday Knitting, Treasures from a Ragpile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:30 am
All of this can be yours...
My mother would LOVE that book.

For only 4 easy payments of Ninty-Nine Ninty-Nine Ninty-NINE!

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

tamaja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:22 am
Wow!! It sounds like I book I would enjoy too. I have History of Knitting in America, and the Encyclopida of Knitting, that talk about knitting history. I really think it is a wonderful art and I am sad that so many people think it is stupid. I am still a beginer knitter but I love to collect books on it. I have some magazines with patterns dating back to 1939. One of my cleints let me have them. I love some of the patterns in them.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:57 pm
I have some crochet patterns form the 1700 and 1800's download on my computer, but it would so much coller to have an actual book of them.

That book sounds fascinating.  

Silver Mist

Sachiko13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:33 am
Oooh. I need to get that.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items