Shakespeare

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:38 pm
I'm putting this in this subforum because Shakespeare wrote in many genres, but even so his work couldn't really be categorized very easily. I haven't read many of his works in their entirety, but I've done monologues from Twelfth Night, As You Like it, Hamlet, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. I've read all of Romeo and Juliet and am studying Macbeth in English right now. I also did the famous witches scene from Macbeth over the summer and got to say "By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." That was fun. I've also read a couple of sonnets. Anyways, I really do enjoy Shakespeare, although his plots may not seem applicable to our times (or even his). The complexity of his language and the images that he paints with words are absolutely lovely. I don't like his sonnets as much as his plays, and so far like Macbeth more than Romeo and Juliet because more actually happens. The characters are more complex too.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:26 pm
The only Shakespeare I've read is Romeo & Juliet and No Fear: The Tragedy of Julius Ceaser... I should really read more! gonk  

Stephano Hungary

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:04 pm
Let's see... I've read Romeo and Juliet, Antony and Cleopatra, Macbeth, Twelfth Night, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and A Comedy of Errors. I've seen As You Like It and A Midsummer Night's Dream (I may have seen more, but I can't recall anything else at the moment.)

Shakespeare's comedies are too similar for my taste - mistaken identity gets old for me. I like his tragedies more, although they always depress me. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 pm
I already mentioned this in the Chatterbox, but I'm currently obsessed with Shakespeare. I blame Kenneth Branagh - I saw Hamlet on Sunday and it was one of the best movies I have ever seen, mainly because of his acting skills. My English class is reading Hamlet right now and I can relate to everything a lot more after seeing the movie. The soliloquies are beautiful when Kenneth performs them. I get emotional just thinking about it. xd  

dragongirl187

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:22 pm
Well... since no one feels like talking about Shakespeare... I'm going to post my favorite quotes from Hamlet.

"But break, my heart, for I must hold my tongue."

"To die, to sleep - to sleep, perchance to dream."  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:12 pm
Ha, I have to write a paper on Macbeth now. I'm actually kind of excited for it because I really like to analyze Shakespeare and my paper topic's pretty good. I'm such an English geek. mrgreen  

penandpaper67
Captain

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:59 pm
I have to write a review of Macbeth since I saw it at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival last month. I also get to write an essay on Hamlet pretty soon, which I am really excited for! I am going to write an essay in which my love for the play oozes from the ink when my teacher reads it. wink  
Other Genres

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games