Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What makes a good Atheist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Athena_Ritashe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:22 pm
I've got youtube subscription to people like The Amazing Atheist (best a*****e around) gogreen18, tootime9901, patcondell, and others. Whenever I listen to these people I get the impression that Atheists are intelligent, eloquent individuals who generally have an extraordinary grasp on science and philosophy.

There is one show online called "The Atheist Experience" which is a cable access show in Texas that airs every sunday. They receive calls from across the country and answer questions about all things atheist. This can range from "how did the universe begin?" why stops you from going out and killing people?" and sometimes even threats like "You're going to hell and if I was there I would punch you in the face" They have a great sense of humor, and have a sensible answer for everything.

I know I myself am not as eloquent as these guys, and certainly could use some lessons in basic science and other subjects Are most atheists like these people, expert in intellectual subjects and well spoken, or are atheists relatively normal, just lacking in belief in god? While I'm asking questions I was wondering.... What makes a good atheist?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:02 pm
Atheists are people too, so naturally they come extremely varried. (Much like chocolates and insects do.) Some are intellectuals with everything well thought out and logic on their side, and others are just "average" people who just don't believe in god.

Being educated in science/philosophy would certaintly give you more ground and "hard copy back-up" for your non-theistic beliefs. If you're arguing with someone over the existance of god, it's better to have reasons backed up by "logic" and "facts" (science) than you just saying "well I don't think he exists because I don't think so."

So being an intellectual like The Amazing Atheist only helps you, but it doesn't mean you're an illegitimate atheist if you're not one (an intellectual...)

Some people just dig deeper than others. You can call the ones who digs deeper the "better" atheists than the ones who only dig small holes, but they both dig.

There's no real criteria for a "good" atheist like there would be for "good" Christians/Muslims/Buddhists, ect...people will look at you more in terms of whether or not you have good reasons and can at least argue your lack of belief in a higher power intelligently.  

Henneth Annun

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 am
XWraith_LordX
Atheists are people too, so naturally they come extremely varried. (Much like chocolates and insects do.) Some are intellectuals with everything well thought out and logic on their side, and others are just "average" people who just don't believe in god.

Being educated in science/philosophy would certaintly give you more ground and "hard copy back-up" for your non-theistic beliefs. If you're arguing with someone over the existance of god, it's better to have reasons backed up by "logic" and "facts" (science) than you just saying "well I don't think he exists because I don't think so."

So being an intellectual like The Amazing Atheist only helps you, but it doesn't mean you're an illegitimate atheist if you're not one (an intellectual...)

Some people just dig deeper than others. You can call the ones who digs deeper the "better" atheists than the ones who only dig small holes, but they both dig.

There's no real criteria for a "good" atheist like there would be for "good" Christians/Muslims/Buddhists, ect...people will look at you more in terms of whether or not you have good reasons and can at least argue your lack of belief in a higher power intelligently.

I agree.

User Image
And there are some dumb Atheists. I know an Atheist who doesn't believe in atoms simply because she can't see them. No offense to her, but I wouldn't call her intelligent or educated, but she is an Atheist because she won't believe in anything she can't see for her self and that includes god, souls, heaven, and hell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:23 pm
An antheist is just someone who doesn't believe in gods or deities.
You don't have to be really smart or knowlegeable about science or cultures to be a good atheist.
You just have to be nonbelieving.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:54 pm
Dathu
XWraith_LordX

I agree.

User Image
And there are some dumb Atheists. I know an Atheist who doesn't believe in atoms simply because she can't see them. No offense to her, but I wouldn't call her intelligent or educated, but she is an Atheist because she won't believe in anything she can't see for her self and that includes god, souls, heaven, and hell.
She doesn't believe in atoms because she can't see them? neutral Atoms? Of all things, atoms???

Well since she can't see her brain I guess, by her logic, she doesn't have one.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:50 am
XWraith_LordX
Dathu
XWraith_LordX

I agree.

User Image
She doesn't believe in atoms because she can't see them? neutral Atoms? Of all things, atoms???

Well, I can kinda see her position. We put a great deal of faith in science. How do I know that the sun is 92 million miles away? I trust that someone made pretty accurate measurements. The point that she is wrong on is that you can look up how these researchers came to the conclusion, learn the method and do the experiment yourself. You can redo the experiment and draw your own conclusion.

With religion you have to pretend that the Bible (or other sacred document) is telling the truth, you cannot double check it. I think she is taking the saying "I won't believe it until I see it" to far.

Seriously, if I was her friend I would ask her if she can even trust what she sees. Our eyes can play tricks on us, our brains can come up with conclusions that are contrary to the truth. She shouldn't trust what she sees either.  

Athena_Ritashe

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:14 pm
Athena_Ritashe
XWraith_LordX
Dathu
XWraith_LordX

I agree.

User Image

Well, I can kinda see her position. We put a great deal of faith in science. How do I know that the sun is 92 million miles away? I trust that someone made pretty accurate measurements. The point that she is wrong on is that you can look up how these researchers came to the conclusion, learn the method and do the experiment yourself. You can redo the experiment and draw your own conclusion.

With religion you have to pretend that the Bible (or other sacred document) is telling the truth, you cannot double check it. I think she is taking the saying "I won't believe it until I see it" to far.

Seriously, if I was her friend I would ask her if she can even trust what she sees. Our eyes can play tricks on us, our brains can come up with conclusions that are contrary to the truth. She shouldn't trust what she sees either.

User ImageI do mess with her head when I can. She is a nice girl, just a little simple. I met her through an Atheist group at my college, and I actually hung out with her a lot since we were both into playing a variety of sports without expecting to be good at them. Anyway, I just mentioned her to expand on the idea that there are "dumb" Atheists, which I think we can all agree on. Hell, there are Atheists in this guild who believe in magic, no offense. But it is nice to know that you are part of a group whose stereotypes revolve around the intellectual genre. But as for me, well, I just like being silly. dramallama

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:27 pm
User Image

I don't think that believing in magic necessarily makes someone dumb, though if they believe in theatrical Charmed-type magic, I would wonder. XD

I don't think there's anything that necessarily makes a "good atheist" other than lack of belief in deities. Atheists aren't unified by any particular positive beliefs, only the lack of belief in gods.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:28 pm
Dathu

User ImageHell, there are Atheists in this guild who believe in magic, no offense.

From an anthropological perspective, prayer is considered magic. Therefore, the Pope does magic.

I just thought that'd be interesting to bring up. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:45 pm
User Image

Atheists being intellectual is a type
of a stereotype.
I second XWraith_LordX's response.

And about that girl who doesn't believe
in things she can't see,
does she not believe in the existence
of air, either, since she cannot see it?

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:18 am
I don't know what you think a good atheist is, but here's my answer.

I don't belive in magic. :
D

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces