Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Making hair look like...well...hair. XD

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:55 pm
What techniques are best for rendering hair and givin' it that shine?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:52 pm
Well, it kinda depends. Actually, it depends a lot on what you are using to make the hair. Pencil and paper? A digital art program? A 3D program? Tiny colored grains of sand on the floor? @__@  

Kitsuta

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 am
Kitsuta
Well, it kinda depends. Actually, it depends a lot on what you are using to make the hair. Pencil and paper? A digital art program? A 3D program? Tiny colored grains of sand on the floor? @__@

Well its a mix of traditional sketching and digital editing. I'm looking for what method are best used to color in hair and make it as realistic as possible.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:37 pm
well it really depends on the program you use... :

one of the methods i use:

1. you choose color pallete you want and place it roughly on the picture to see if it looks good, and you correct any highlight/shadow placing mistakes...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*start with middle color as a base and use 1/4 to 1/7 from each light and the dark end...
**making a pallete remember to make it from very dark color to very light one, you won't use them much probably but they'll give the depth to the pic...

2. add mid colors to get that soft gradienty feel - but don't yet use (one or two) darkest and lightest colors...

3. now the details; for this you really have to have at least mediocre control over line path; you take the thinnest brush and you first take the base color and start making some lines (folow the hair direction!) in the highlights area and shadows area, then take lighter color and make some thin lines in the highlights and all the way towards the shadows, but less and less as you get closer, and the exact oposite with the darker colors - and at the very end use the lightest and the darkest color...

4. few more tips:
- try to imagine 3d and where the light would hit first (closest to the light source), that will be most highlighted
- hair shine more where they are bent...
- you can try doing step one and too with a gradient, it's not easy but is doable...
- experiment

and that's all in this method, everything else is practice...
*thats just one way of soft style hair, prolly not the best... =_=

or if you find that method to time staking you can make highlight painting over hair with: big brush, low opacity, light colour - doing a zigzag or a line around the head...

Catani

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:36 am
Thanks for the tips, though it sounds like a tablet would be a big help in the process. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:52 pm
Koiyuki
Thanks for the tips, though it sounds like a tablet would be a big help in the process. xd
it really would xp
but there are many people that do those things with a mouse ( eek )
try serching for pentagram tablets - dunno if they are avalible in states - but i got a 8x6
for about 80$

i warn you it's not wacom but it's a tablet and works fairly good....

Catani

124-C

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:57 pm
Well, for the traditional pencil and paper method (my personal favorite...) this tutorial is probably the best I've found! As for the digital, I found this one, it goes over the process of painting in photoshop and goes into a little detail of the hair...

Hope it helps!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:57 am
Tsujigiri-san
Well, for the traditional pencil and paper method (my personal favorite...) this tutorial is probably the best I've found! As for the digital, I found this one, it goes over the process of painting in photoshop and goes into a little detail of the hair...

Hope it helps!

Catani

Lyaeko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:40 pm
Catani
well it really depends on the program you use... :

one of the methods i use:

1. you choose color pallete you want and place it roughly on the picture to see if it looks good, and you correct any highlight/shadow placing mistakes...
*start with middle color as a base and use 1/4 to 1/7 from each light and the dark end...
**making a pallete remember to make it from very dark color to very light one, you won't use them much probably but they'll give the depth to the pic...

2. add mid colors to get that soft gradienty feel - but don't yet use (one or two) darkest and lightest colors...

3. now the details; for this you really have to have at least mediocre control over line path; you take the thinnest brush and you first take the base color and start making some lines (folow the hair direction!) in the highlights area and shadows area, then take lighter color and make some thin lines in the highlights and all the way towards the shadows, but less and less as you get closer, and the exact oposite with the darker colors - and at the very end use the lightest and the darkest color...

4. few more tips:
- try to imagine 3d and where the light would hit first (closest to the light source), that will be most highlighted
- hair shine more where they are bent...
- you can try doing step one and too with a gradient, it's not easy but is doable...
- experiment

and that's all in this method, everything else is practice...
*thats just one way of soft style hair, prolly not the best... =_=

or if you find that method to time staking you can make highlight painting over hair with: big brush, low opacity, light colour - doing a zigzag or a line around the head...

Wow, that's gorgeous! O.O
- must take notes -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:02 pm
Lyaeko
Wow, that's gorgeous! O.O
- must take notes -
thank you ^^ - though lines are not by me they sweatdrop are by: ItoMaki-chan  

Catani

Krystal_digitaliS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:36 pm
User Image
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/hula_kitty743/more-hair.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/hula_kitty743/wig.jpg

not my best example but i'm about to make one for you, so hold on til my next post while i open photoshop. I'll be using a doll base, mmkay?

i forget who the first bse is by, unfortunatly  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:44 am
Is there a certain mode it has to be in for it to look like that? I have it on 1 px in Ptohoshop CS2, and it keeps comin' out blocky and pixely...

._.  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Krystal_digitaliS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:38 am
Koiyuki
Is there a certain mode it has to be in for it to look like that? I have it on 1 px in Ptohoshop CS2, and it keeps comin' out blocky and pixely...

._.

well what i do is use the smudge tools and the blur tools and lots of dodging and burning

here are the steps:

ONE:

on a NEW LAYER Draw the outline of the hair in the darkest shade you want the hair to be with the ONE PIXEL PENCIL!!! not brush... PENCIL!!! ok

Two:

Choose a slightly lighter colour and fill it in (phwoar, easyness)

three:

OK tricky-ish part now., get the magic select tool (i think its called), and select the hair, , then copy and paste that onto a new layer. on this layer choose a few colours that are darker and lighter than the origional shade and using the no.14 natural brush, draw in the strands on hair in the direction you want the hair to look like its growing.

four:

copy and paste previous layer , then get out the trusty dodge and burn! highlight and shade where it looks right.. you should know this.

five:

get the smudge tool and use the no. 14 natural brush again, to smudge GENTLY in the direction of hair growth, do this until you get the desired effect.

if it looks crap.. don't kill me  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:18 am
Krystal_digitaliS
Koiyuki

._.

well what i do is use the smudge tools and the blur tools and lots of dodging and burning

here are the steps:

ONE:

on a NEW LAYER Draw the outline of the hair in the darkest shade you want the hair to be with the ONE PIXEL PENCIL!!! not brush... PENCIL!!! ok

Two:

Choose a slightly lighter colour and fill it in (phwoar, easyness)

three:

OK tricky-ish part now., get the magic select tool (i think its called), and select the hair, , then copy and paste that onto a new layer. on this layer choose a few colours that are darker and lighter than the origional shade and using the no.14 natural brush, draw in the strands on hair in the direction you want the hair to look like its growing.

four:

copy and paste previous layer , then get out the trusty dodge and burn! highlight and shade where it looks right.. you should know this.

five:

get the smudge tool and use the no. 14 natural brush again, to smudge GENTLY in the direction of hair growth, do this until you get the desired effect.

if it looks crap.. don't kill me

Thanks for the help! I'll try it with my next commission. Anyone have some pointers?  

Koiyuki

Mind-boggling Codger

1,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items