Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
OMG! I forgot a VERY IMPORTANT question......

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

irydessa star fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:14 pm
What is a Wyvern Exactly?? I mean I know what the websites say, but I really don't think it's a dragon. It's meaner than a dragon from what I know of it. so for anyone who knows please let me know in full detail of your information..... please and it would be much appreciated. also the legend behind the wyvern would also be appreciated. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm
Generally, a wyvern is a dragon wings with claws on the ends, with only two legs. Commonly used as emblems on coats of arms, and such. One info link and another (not so sure about this one... ninja . The site's not meant to be factual, but you may find something interesting.) The wyvern sometimes symbolizes envy, viciousness, pestilence, famine, war, and hatred.  

Larial Istari

irydessa star fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm
Ahhhhh.... So it is a dragon of the vicious variety.... I see. hmmmm..... thanx.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:57 am
According to Animal Magick by D.J. Conway (who I think is a great author).
The wyvern is a creature of teh Western world, and it resembles a dragon in some aspects but it is a separate magickal creature. it has a head like a dragon, a body of a serpent, a barbed tail, wings, strong talons but only two rear legs like those of an eagle.
It is much more aggressive than a dragon.
It is attributed to revenge, retribution, creating proctive barriers of fear as a defense.

A lot of other people agree with this information.  

Underworld Priestess

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:44 pm
Do they have a historical background? I thought they were created by Anne Mcaphrey or whatever her name is  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:55 pm
According to Wikipedia:

A wyvern or wivern (pronounced /ˈwаɪvərn/) is a legendary winged reptilian creature with two legs and a barbed tail often found in mediaeval heraldry. The word is derived from Middle English wyvere, from Old North French wivre "viper".[1]  

Underworld Priestess

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:26 pm
I think that wyverns are more of a cousin to than a true dragon. Like a heron and an eagle are both birds and share many similar attributes, but in the fine details they are different. Historically, wyverns are thought to be smaller, more vicious, and less intelligent than dragons. But, that could also be "bad press", so to speak. Wyverns are not to be confused with wurms, which if I remember correctly are legless but can have wings. Sorta like a huge flying snake.

Why do you want to know, if I may ask?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:11 pm
I use to consider them to be more like a drake which also is a cousin to the dragon, but drakes don't have wings and wyverns are more aggressive.  

Underworld Priestess

The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff