Greek Mythology Question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kandie_kissies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:14 pm
I have a few questions pertaining to the Amulet of Aphrodite:

1. What special abilities or talents did the wearer gain?
2. What did it look like?
3. Can you get me a link or something where I can go to see the myth where it was given to Aphrodite from Zeus?

Thank you, any answers would be greatly appreciated!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:04 am
I have never read that story! If you tell me the name, I can find it though.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

kandie_kissies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 am
Priestess of Neptune
I have never read that story! If you tell me the name, I can find it though.

I don't know the exact name of the story, but I do know a basic summary. When Aphrodite was "born" from the ocean, the amulet was given to her by Zeus. I'm not an expert on Greek mythology, or anything, so I don't know any more about this. emo  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:15 pm
All I know is from Suite Life of Zack & Cody. I Googled it... but one of the links that came up was the link to the topic on Gaia where you asked about it in mythology. I figure enough has been said. I can help you by looking up information on the girdle if you want...  

dragongirl187

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:36 am
I looked it up too, but didn't find much of anything. Here's a link to the wikipedia page on Aphrodite in general, but it didn't have anything much about her "amulet." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 pm
Okay, I found the passage you are talking about. It's on page 373 of Edith Hamilton's Mythology (The Royal House of Thebes). I'll quote the relevant bits:

"Cadmus made Thebes a glorious city...His wife was Harmonia, the daughter of Ares and Aphrodite...and Aphrodite gave Harmonia a wondrous necklace which had been made by Hephaestus...but which for all its divine origin was to bring disaster in a later generation."

I looked for more references to the necklace until I got to the Seven Against Thebes, at which point I stopped.

D'Aulaire has a possible origin for the necklace, on page 30 of Book of Greek Myths (I'll skip to the relevant bits again):

"Aphrodite...had neither mother nor father... The West Wind had first seen her...he blew her to the flowering island of Cythera...The three Graces...became her attendants. They dressed her in shimmering garments, bedecked her with sparkling jewels..."

But later, we learn that:

"Zeus...gave her to Hephaestus... and he [Hephaestus]... used all his skill to make the most lavish jewels for her. He made her a girdle of finely wrought gold and wove magic into the filigree work."

Yes, it mentions only the girdle, but it is possible that Vulcan could have made the necklace for her as well.

D'Aulaire has an image of a female (could be either Aphrodite or Helen) at a battle involving Paris [During the Trojan War (page 185)]. I'll scan that in and put it on photobucket, then link it to here. In the image, she is wearing a necklace. In my Mythology book, the Trojan war is before (in terms of chapters) the Seven Against Thebes, and I'm too lazy to think and figure out which one came first, so I will assume that the necklace you see could be what the one you are after looks like.

I am also too lazy to look through all the references to Zeus in D'Aulaire's book, so we don't know about Zeus giving the necklace to Aphrodite.

Here's the link to the image (I hope it works):

User Image

EDIT: I can see it on my computer. If you can't see it on yours, change your picture viewing settings here on Gaia, or let me know and I'll PM you the link.

EDIT2: I just realized that Mythology states bluntly that the necklace was given to Aphrodite by Hephaestus. If you still think it was granted by Zeus, let me know and I'll look some more, but I think that Mythology is correct in this case.

EDIT3: I found a picture of Hephaestus making something, presumably for Aphrodite (in the background) that looks like a necklace or belt. I'll scan that in for you too. It's on page 29 of D'Aulaire's book. If you want an image to base your guess from, I suggest this second picture.

User Image

EDIT4: Where did you hear about this amulet? It might help in searching if I know.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Colonel T-Bone

Charitable Lunatic

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 pm
If I remember correctly, I'm not saying I do, but if, the Amulet of Aphrodite was supposed to be a pendant worn by Aphrodite and forged by her husband Hephaestus. It may have been the divine equivalent of a chastity belt, but please don't just trust my word on this! I beg you to verify it! dramallama  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:21 pm
I should have been a pair of ragged claws

Zeus gave Aphrodite the amulet when she rose from the sea.

According to Homer's Iliad, it was supposed to make the wearer irresistible.

Basically, from what I know, it's just an aphrodisiac, and nothing more. There isn't a lot to it.

Scuttling across the floors of silent seas

Vodou von Prettypants

Vodou von Prettypants

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:26 pm
I should have been a pair of ragged claws

@ Colnol & Priestess of Neptune: You are referencing the Golden Girdle that Hephaestus forged for Aphrodite. It gave her an irresistible allure.

So, perhaps that's not what the amulet did? I can't find many resources for that particular item.

Scuttling across the floors of silent seas

The Ideas Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff