Submit

should i stretch up to an 8g?
  fersure, n3n
  for the love of bodmodding, no!
View Results

cosmicqueer

Sparkly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am
    okay, I'm really new to this stretching thing.
    i've got 10gs in my lower lobes and 12gs in my upper lobes,
    and i'm planning on stretching up to an 8g but it looks so big in comparison.
    i'm pretty sure it would hurt and i know that it's not supposed to hurt.
    everyone's talking about tapers and a bajillion other things that i have no clue what they are... i'm going to attempt to find a list of terminology for stuff like this and figure out what the heck is going on...

I can assume that tapers are gauges that you -tape- to help go up a size slowly, correct? also, when i first started stretching my ears, i had a size 18g in (from the time I was 2 months old until august of 08') and i stretched to a 12g in two months. is that too fast? @w@~ i never felt like my ears would rip or anything, but i just need to know a good pace to set for myself. i also plan on going to the mall today. unfortunately, the only piercing store i have within 20 mile distance (which is as far as my mother is willing to take me) is not a piercing store at all... it's a hot topic in the mall. .__." i need to know what i should and shouldn't buy if i wanted to stretch up to an 8g,

OH! one last thing. the few sets of gauges i got for christmas said they were 10s but my friend's 10s are bigger. another weird tidbit is that they're bigger than my twelves and smaller than my friend's 10s... are there "inbetween" gauge sizes?! the package said ten and, i'm not sure what i should do. .__." helllp?!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:01 pm
I never really noticed how many people have stretched piercings, i myself dont have any whatsoever, I think I'll be watching along with this to get any information about them i can too.  

Lance Castle
Crew

Cayliin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 am
'Kay so I know Shout went to the board about this. But Lance since you seem interested you, join us  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:19 am
Perfect, thanks for the link  

Lance Castle
Crew

ViviSectionist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:42 pm
Okay, I'm going to try to clear this up. xd

First, Tapers are long plastic or metal pieces that thin off on one end. They are used for stretching. You put the thin side in and slowly stretch until it's at the full thickness of the taper.

Like this
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Gauges are the sizes of tapers/plugs/tunnels/etc. They go in increments of 2, starting at 20, 18, 16, 14, etc, until 00, and then it is continued with imperial measurements. 1/2", 5/8", so on.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Now, the act if TAPING is when you wrap layers of tape, most commonly electrical tape (The black plasticy stuff) to move up in size without over stretching at a time. You start by adding one layer of tape, not overlapping, and lubing it up and sliding it in. Personally when I'm taping I leave it for at least 12 hours before adding a new layer. So one in the morning, and if I feel up to it, one before bed.

As for going to fast, you may have gone a little bit, but it shouldn't have any major damage. Once you get in to larger sizes you'll want to slow down. I'm at 1/2" right now, and I'm waiting 4 months until my next size, just to be sure. For going from 10 to 08 you should probably wait a month or so? But it's all about a personal pace.

Also, BEWARE OF HOT TOPIC EARRINGS. They very often miss mark their sizes, so what you may think is the next size up and an easy stretch, could be as much as two sizes to big. I bought was was marked as a 00, but was actually a 0, and when I took it back to be exchanged (I hadn't even opened it, I saw through the box on the way home) I was given a ton of s**t from the snobby employees and told that I was wrong, and it was the right size, and whatever.

As for sizes varying, a lot of plugs are hand made, and aren't exact. Mostly naturals like gemstones, wood, bone, and horn are hand made, so it's good to double check. I can't remember the name of it, but there are these things used for measuring and it gives you an exact size. They're normally used in carpentry and plumbing, so you can pick them up at any hardware store, but not essential.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:10 am
I always heard that electrical tape was bad?
Something about the chemicals in it?
I've always used bondage and PTFE.

Gore Shock

wowippyiscool

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:45 am
Yeah, electrical tape or scotch tape or
anything like that will irritate or infect your ear.
The kids on YahooAnswers were militant about Teflon tape,
so I used that and I've never had any problems.

It's less than a dollar anyways.
Can't complain.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:01 pm
I've never used anything but electrical tape, and I've never had a problem with it, and I'm fairly sensitive to most things.  

ViviSectionist

wowippyiscool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:05 pm
A friend of mine actually uses scotch tape
and claims that he doesn't have any problems.
I guess in the end, it depends on your body.

But as far as I know, Teflon doesn't have the harmful chemicals.
I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Ear Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff