Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Why washington was the best president

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How good of a president was Washington? (out of ten)
  1-4
  5-7
  8-10
View Results

SynysterGatesRules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:12 pm
I believe G. Washington is the best of all the presidents is because he not only was the only man to take on the job and duty as commander and chief. He a set the example for the other presidents. He was a man that didn't have to cheat or bribe people to vote for him. Yes I know what your thinking that is because he didn't run against anybody but he won the office by winning the war. To this day presidents look up to him and some like others don't. In a time when rebellion meant death by hanging a man that would take on such a position in power was almost unheard of and deserve much more than a little respect. It may that he didn't do anything important in office but when a country has just finished the first fight that while be remembered forever in American history it isn't the best time to be telling people what they can and can't do left and right. I know that they didn't have problems like should we pull troop out and oil, etc. but he faced almost more problems and possible attacks then ever in history. England was one of the superpowers of the world at the time and they weren't the people to mess with. In my mind it will take a lot to beat what G. Washington had done is his years as president.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:38 pm
There is a case to be made for Washington, but some significant critiques remain in your argument. You mention, for example, that he didn't have to cheat or bribe people to vote for him. It bears mention that in 1789 and 1792 there was no popular vote. Electoral slates were chosen by the state legislatures and were fully uncommitted. That the body could decidedly choose Washington the first time around is more a reflection of Washington's contemporary popularity than wisdom on the part of the EC. Remember, Thomas Jefferson was certainly a well acccomplished president, and he lost the EC vote once to John Adams, and then nearly lost a second time to Aaron Burr.

I'd also mark in contention that Washington had no particular accomplishments of note in his presidency. He certainly had a great many. He and Hamilton established the First Bank of the United States, which provided the early US with a credit line and promotoed the growth of industry in the US. His response to the Whiskey Rebellion firmly grounded the federal power to levy taxes on the US. He helped craft the Jay Treaty which helped strengthen a peaceful relationship with Britain lasting beyond his own presidency. And I'd say his decision to step down after a second term prevented the infant United States from falling prey to an imperial presidency, a real concern that could have been easily materialized with a man like Andrew Jackson. So you can certainly make a case that his actions while in office merit a rating of greatness.  

Lord Bitememan
Captain

The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces