Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars
Book Series Review: The Dresden Files

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blue Atsushi-Kai

6,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:22 am
I gotta say I'm obsessed with this series. I started because my wife got me to watch the TV show that was supposed to be a kind of "Alternate Dresden" but Sci-Fi Channel didn't pick it up after the first season.

The first book is called Storm Front. Give it a read. You won't regret it.

While waiting for the 11th book, I came across a similar series (goes by a few different saga names) written by Kim Harrison. I'm just gonna call it the Rachel Morgan series. Just do a gender switch and move everyone from Chicago to Cincinnati, and you've got this series.

But....back to Dresden. Harry Dresden is a PI in Chicago and the only person listed under "Wizard" in the yellow pages. Every so often he is called on by the city's Special Investigations department to advice on an especially suspicious murder case. Unfortunately, Dresden can't really show the local LEOs what he can do or why he can solve their weirdest cases.

12 years ago, Harry killed someone to save his own life. because of this, he's been cast under the "Doom of Damocles", a kind of probation for wizards, by the mighty White Council. The White Council is an intimidating order of law keepers who police the globe and execute anyone who uses magic to kill. In extreme cases, they'll spare the guilty...but will forevermore watch them. This is the Doom. Once the Doomed slips up, a Warden beheads them on the spot. No trial.

So, how can Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden beat the bad guys, save his only real friend, not get killed, keep dark secrets, AND pay his rent on time? Not even he knows.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 am
I've read Storm Front and enjoyed it quite a bit. Harry was just such a likeable character, and I love the mix of detective work and fantasy. If I should ever come across another one of those books I'll gladly pick it up and read it, for sure. (: However, I wasn't too interested in watching the series. Maybe I will watch it someday, maybe, but the seeing the actor for Harry sort of ruined the lovely image of the character I had in my head.  

Freiflug

Punching Bag

Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces