Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:27 am
Why fear death when you are able to live life to the fullest without the bonds of religion telling you what you can/can't do, what food you can eat, and so on? If you are able to just live, death should not be a fear.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm
I'm not afraid of dying, simply because I am grateful for the living I have done.

If I were to die tomorrow, I'd simply accept it as the next great adventure.  

Alphabet Whore

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:20 am
I'm not afraid of dying because I have a regeneration mutant ability.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:04 pm
[Lucas]
So, basically, I figure that a major part of being agnostic/atheist is not working towards a life after death, because of the lack of fear of death. So, why are you unafraid of dying?
Not really, if one couldn't think of a logical reason for god to exist, or can see how anything could happen, it doesn't matter if they're scared to death of death (no pun intended), they still don't believe in a God/are agnostic.
In fact, I have a belief of my own that every atheist and agnostic falls into one of the following 2 categories:
a) Is scared of death, or
b) Denies their death.
Most fall into category b. In fact, by looking at the couple of posts above mine, most either show that they either believe in a sense of consciousness after death (see: Mizz_Sexy_Bunny66), or avoid the problem of what happens after death altogether (Yur-Yur-Yuri, Arc Ravynsteel, Radical Hypocrisy, &c.). Moreover, we can actually provide a logical basis. The goal of any species is to continue the species, according to natural selection. Hence it should apply to an individual organism too. Even if we know for a fact we will die, we'll still try to create the illusion of either it never happening, or still having some kind consciousness after death (usually this is a religious group).

Oh yes, sorry if I seem demeaning, I fall into group b too myself.

Incidentally, I applaud the post above me.  

RandomnessAndMiscellany

7,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Koravin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:10 am
Er, I am afraid of death. Sometimes I'm not, because death itself doesn't seem so bad, it's the dying part that sucks. After death, there's nothing, so no worries. But I like existing, and I want to continue doing that. Although I suppose more than death, I fear living badly. Like when I get older and have dementia. Losing my mind entirely is far more terrifying than death.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 pm
I want to live forever.  

Prince Rilian

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:26 am
Prince Rilian
I want to live forever.

I must agree with this statement to the fullest.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 am
I'm afraid of dying because I'm afraid of being in pain (in other words, I fear a painful and/or slow death). Being dead, I don't fear; rather, I feel sadness knowing that there will be so much that I'll never do or see or know and people I'll never meet. I think I've come to terms with it, but once in a while I do get a little melancholy about it.

I would also agree that knowing (or at least being reasonably certain) that the end of my life is the end of all things me makes me appreciate life in a way that someone who thinks they will continue after bodily death never can. Here, now, this is it. Seek happiness and beauty and love and compassion in this world, because this is the only chance to do so.

Pirate Captain Sushi
Prince Rilian
I want to live forever.

I must agree with this statement to the fullest.

I reiterate this sentiment. I used to think that living forever would be tortuously boring, and maybe it would be, but as I've grown up and seen and learned more, I want so much to see what will happen next, and after that, and after that, and so on. Even if I couldn't participate, I want to know what happens.

This is, by the way, the same answer I would give to anyone asking why atheists even bother living (a shockingly common question from theists): I WANT TO KNOW!  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:08 pm
Glamarama
I dont see why just dying and there being nothing after that is such a scarey concept for a lot of people. I've told people my point of view on the matter and some of them seem genuinely shocked that I have no fear about there not being an after-life. The only thing that scares me about death is the pain before you die. I imagine dying would just be like going to sleep permenantly, without dreaming, of course. Sleep isnt scarey, so why would death be?
It's scary because you never wake up.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:16 am
User Image

This may be a little pessimistic of me, but the fact is this world is pretty shitty with a lot of problems and intolerant people, lots of brutality and injustice going on. Dying sounds kind of like a liberation from these worldly things for me (okay, I sound very pessimistic and maybe even suicidal, but I assure you, I am not suicidal). If leaving this world means I don't have to go on witnessing the shitty things some people put other people through, heck, I bear no fear for that.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas