Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
What should I use this fabric for?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:02 pm
Ok, so a little while ago, I got a bunch of fabric from a teacher of mine. I'm going to use a bunch of it to make a rag quilt. But I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it. There is a ton of fabric. Its just a simple cheap cotton fabric with a floral print. Anyways, I'm not sure what to do with it all. So anyone have any ideas?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:06 pm
Do you have a picture?

You could make a cute skirt, grocery bags, pencil cases, dice bags (okay, that one... i'm a gamer, what can i say?), stuffed animals... the list goes on.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 pm
No, I don't have a picture of the fabric. But thank you for the ideas. I thought of one other thing I could maybe do with some of the fabric. But I don't know how well this would work, but we have these Lilac bushes in the yard of our farm, and I just love the smell of them, what I thought of doing was drying a bunch of it and make those little scented things, or whatever there called. My mom also has a ton of other flowers in her garden too. And there's also a mint plant and a lemon basil plant, both of which smell awesome.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 pm
Scented bags would be very nice, I think. Another option might be to make hot/cold pads, too, particularly if you have access to dried lavender. All you need is rice, a few pinches of a scented herb/flower (lavender is best for relaxation), and cut out whatever size rectangle or square you'd like as a pattern. You can make them using other shapes, too, but I find rectangles to be easiest.

If you decide to make a hot pad, just make sure that whoever uses the pad doesn't overheat it in the microwave. My mom did that and burned the one I made her. sweatdrop  

Aranka Taine

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:47 pm
That would work well, since it is thin.

Hot/cold pads are great. And make wonderful gifts to teachers, relatives, and stressed out people.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm
I just saw this cute tutorial on Sew, Mama, Sew for this cute floral top that seems to use different prints of fabrics. Simple yet cute too! heart
Spring Ruffle Top Tutorial
Not sure if your fabric has been cut into small pieces or not.  

kittenishness

Woodlandgypsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:10 pm
I am somewhat of a Hippie at heart although i didn't grow up in those times. But many of the styles are coming back and you could make patch work purses with the use of added material as a liner to make it stronger, patchwoek skirts or dresses. some cute tops or one of my favorites...take a pair of old jeans or courdorys and split each side of the bottom of the pant leg and add whatever colors you want to fill in the opening. basically your making bell bottoms. You can also take a smaller sizes pair of pant and run the floral fabric all the way down the sides of each pant leg. You can also use a skirt to do that or take a short jean skirt and make it longer...that's just a few...i can keep goin on..lol  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 am
Kay-VW
No, I don't have a picture of the fabric. But thank you for the ideas. I thought of one other thing I could maybe do with some of the fabric. But I don't know how well this would work, but we have these Lilac bushes in the yard of our farm, and I just love the smell of them, what I thought of doing was drying a bunch of it and make those little scented things, or whatever there called. My mom also has a ton of other flowers in her garden too. And there's also a mint plant and a lemon basil plant, both of which smell awesome.
Sachets are a great project for leftover fabric. I also love the hippy-inspired ideas.  

Sachiko13

I_WEAR_THE_TAG_666

650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 am
i made an outfit for my mums dog (its a little dog)
if you have pets maybe they like to be stylish?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:05 pm
Donate it to your local humanitarian office. they need people who are wiling to cut u fabric for projects.  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

Karma_Snow_Chic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm
do something like a purse or headband. or even look sewing magazines, those have great ideas!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:17 pm
you could also make simple cute decorative pillows  

noodle_tml

Dapper Dabbler

gemini6184

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:59 am
An apron? Little girls dress? Scrubs for a nurse you know?

Many possibilities with cotton 3nodding  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff