Good General Info Websites/Sources

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:43 am
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where people can post good general sources for basic information on any topic. Obviously there's Wikipedia, which is only sometimes reliable, as we all know. No repeats please.
Here are two others that are kind of obvious:
Dictionary.com
About.com (not my favorite, but whatever)
I could keep going forever, but I won't. And like I said before, the sources you post here don't have to be websites, but they have to be general information sources.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:57 pm
You already have dictionary.com, but I prefer to use Merriam-Webster to look up words. Here's a few links which might help you in research, but are good for just browsing, in case you haven't already heard of them:

Books/Written:
The Modern Library
Project Gutenberg
American Library Association
The University of Adelaide Library

Grammar:
Purdue Online Writing Lab  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

5 to midnight
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:37 am
Hey, I know this is kinda obvious but Ask.com is a good search engine for questions. Hmm but if you want to look up a picture, or just general info I think google is better. I'm not sure if this is too helpful but...yeah.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:16 pm
Well, I hope the obvious choice would be an encyclopedia or a dictionary. As for websites:

Cryptozoology (like Loch Ness monster, werewolves, el chupacabra)

Japanese Translator

Daily History (famous births and events)

German Translator

Also, picking up a copy of THE TREASURY OF THE FAMILIAR would be a good idea, but I wish you luck finding one anymore. Also, your good friends here in the guild are not stupid people! Use us! Abuse us!  

Colonel T-Bone

Charitable Lunatic

10,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Generous 100

Hybrid Defect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:01 pm
I like about.com but sometimes the information you need isn't there or it's real hard to find.
I've found interesting websites through google so I consider it a good resource for finding information.

I have a hobby for study and I have come across some nice websites for information.

If you like sword fights I recommend this site.
http://www.thearma.org/
It is a website that aims to recreate Medievil Fighting arts that were lost due to disuse because of gunpowder. There are several essays and other material.

For a decent amount of information on the Roman Empire with several chapters with tabs that go into greater detail on subjects.
http://www.roman-empire.net/
I love this site because Rome is involved in biblical history and this website has a decent amount of information on early Christianity.
In whatever I am studying, if I have a suspicion that the Romans were involved in some way, I can usually find more detail on this website.
I will use this as a study companion or cross reference.

A guy I see on History, History International, BBC and some others is Mike Loades. Here is a youtube video on British swords in which he gives a brief history lesson and how a sword fight would have actually been. It's in nine parts but it's very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEMwcSGauY8

I've used this website before for assistance with reading older books like Leviathan. I guess it was originally used as a cliff notes knock off.
It defaults to the literature subject but it has several categories on the left.
http://www.sparknotes.com/sparknotes/
It's something to look at for quick notes on some random subjects.  
The Ideas Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games