Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Tribe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Athena_Ritashe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:01 am
There is a tribe in the Amazon that has a very simple language and only recognizes what they see. They will not believe someone who makes claims based on proxy accounts and they only live in the present. They do not believe in any gods and do not have any myths or historical accounts. They are called the Pirahas and live very contented lives in the rainforest. While they are very peculiar to westerners they are not violent, bloodthirsty savages that rape and pillage as many religions claim mankind is in nature.

A man named Dr. Daniel Everett went to the tribe in the 1970s with the goal of saving them as a missionary. Long story short: they didn't believe him. Since they were living a content and happy life without god and had no need for religion this caused the good missionary to doubt what he believed. He ended up becoming an atheist.

There's an article here: Amazonian tribe turned missionary into an atheist

This makes a case for a claim saying religion is an invention of humanity and not necessarily inherent, or natural. This is certainly a fascinating subject since its an atheist tribe living in the wild, naturally not believing in any higher power. Do you think this gives power to the claim that religion is an invention of man, and not necessarily inherent? Do you think this could demonstrate the natural state of man, a tribe without religion? What do you think?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 am
User Image

I find it terribly sad that he lost his family just because he lost his faith. But aside from that, I think this does seem like a very interesting subject to look further into. With the research that has suggested that we have a genetic predisposition towards spirituality (not necessarily religion or faith), I'd be interested to learn more about this tribe and what makes them tick, and see if they seem to have any predisposition towards a more empirical sort of spirituality.

I really want to read this book.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:38 am
I absolutely love when he says:
"The Pirahãs have shown me that there is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comforts of heaven or the fear of hell, and of sailing towards the great abyss with a smile."

I think that it proves that you don't religion to be happy and that this tribe exists with out any foundation of religion gives me even more reason to think that all religions are man made.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 pm
This is amazing. Thanks for the article. biggrin

I feel bad though that it cost him his family...  

Henneth Annun

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff