Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Awkwardest Turtle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 am
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=87674

Quote:
I don't know if this has been found already yet, but I noticed a cute little Easter Egg in the DSi's camera function today. Try taking a picture of anything and then open up the "edit" function. Choose the "graffiti" option and clear the screen. Open up the symbol types and choose the music note. Start placing them anywhere on the screen. Here the sound that accompanies it? Pretty cute touch right, but did you know that it's not random?

Try this, clear the screen again. Now place the stylus in the lower left corner of the touch screen and slowly drag it all the way to the right. This should yield eight notes that are escalating as you move to the right. Now place the stylus in the middle left and do the same thing. Now it's gone up an octave. Finally, place the stylus in the upper left and drag. Once again, you've gone up an octave. Cool, huh? Clear the screen again, and place the stylus back in the lower left corner again. Now drag up the stylus straight up. You should get six notes. Each pair of notes represents one level of octave. The middle acts as the starting octave and the ones above and below it represent higher and lower octaves.

I did some experimenting and found that the notes are laid out in a certain sequence that mirrors a piano's layout. If we assume that we have three zones of octaves with eight notes going across, that would give us twenty-four locations for notes. Here is a visual example of what I'm talking about:

C D E F G A B C
C D E F G A B C
C D E F G A B C

The "C" on the far right matches the "C" on the far left on the octave above it. Try it out for yourself. Touch the "C" location on the middle right and then touch the "C" location on the upper left. See, same sound. The same goes for the "C" on the lower right and the "C" in the middle left.

Now for the fun part. Get out a piece of paper, or use something on your computer, and draw out a 3x8 grid and fill it in with the above letters. Now take your DSi and take a picture of the grid so that it fills the touchscreen perfectly. Once you have the picture saved, open it up and choose the graffiti option. If you took the picture right, your screen should have twenty-four squares each with a letter in them. Tap the stylus on the squares to listen to the proper notes.

And he goes on about it in the thread.

Someone with a DSi needs to go try this out.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:37 am
Cool. If I knew what notes were what, I could try and make a song.  

dragn99

Aged Guildswoman

8,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 am
If you go to the sound channel and select one of your recorded sounds, then wait like sixty seconds, it will play it to the Mario theme.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:03 pm
It does. :0 It plays the C major chord. Thats awesome

Now I can play stuff.  

l-Kathulu-l

Versatile Man-Lover

Gamexrocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:53 am
Really? That's so cool! I'm going to try it out at lunch.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:59 pm
Quote:
And he goes on about it in the thread.

Someone with a DSi needs to go try this out.

I did it, and it works.

anyone have anysongs i can play? razz  

Undesired Insanity

Undesired Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:39 pm
working on playing some zelda classics razz  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:31 am
Song o' Storms!
*do do dooooo do do dooooooo*
O, god, rain!  

CodyDudeTm

Desirable Fatcat

11,650 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Champion 300
  • Sausage Fest 200

CYBERPUNK PANDA

Ursine Lunatic

16,075 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:58 pm
....seems like a waist of internal memory or something to have that in there >>;  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:12 pm
Neat. Still not enough to make me buy a DSi, but still neat.
You know, I was so out of it once at 3AM that I discovered the correct sequence to play "Do-Re-Mi" from The Sound of Music with the Badges in D/P/Pt. xd  

Sharkbutt The Orgiastic

Magnetic Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Ennokni

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 pm
Yeah I could see you doing that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:22 pm
I'm gettin' a DSi for my birthday in august
I'll be sure to try it out