Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Cutting Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:04 pm
H'okay.
I have personally been here, and yes I have the scars to prove it. One night on the phone with my ex-boyfriend... yeah...

But I can tell you one thing; you can stop if you put your mind to it. I was so addicted to it. It was my way of escape. Things got hard, I would slice down my arm. Why? I had to concentrate on the physical pain that I was doing to myself, and that took my mind off the emotional pain that was going on in my life. And surprisingly enough, I didn't feel anything at all when I had the blade running down my arm.

I took care of my cuts. I would let them bleed a bit, and then put some bandages on them pretty quick. I was not trying to kill myself, I was just looking for a way to escape from the pain that OTHER people were giving me. And the only way I saw that happening, was to cause pain to MYSELF.

But as time went on, I was always doing it. It would take over. Something minor happened, and I had to run something down my arm. I saw that I was no longer in control of anything, and that I had to put my mind to it to stop. It was hard, but I was slowly regaining myself.

I told some people about it, and they all just kind of hugged me and said that they would always be there for me if I ever needed someone to talk to, or a shoulder to cry on. But they also said that after I took the initiative to take control, I was a much happier person. They knew that something was wrong with me when I would get upset over just about nothing. And now, they all know me as the happy one.

Trust me, you need to find someone that you can TOTALLY trust. And when you feel the urge to cut, you call them and tell them what;s going on. They'll understand. Also, remove all sharp things from your room... yes... everything. I know, it sounds odd. I had to remove pencils, pens, scissors, anything that could puncture me.

But believe me, after you regain control of yourself and your emotions, you will see how stupid it really was.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:49 am
I almost completely forgot about this thread. I thought it was about cutting in line. sweatdrop

Anywho, I still don't agree with it.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Niveous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:44 am
My humble opinion:

From what I learned over time, there is A LOT of grey area n this topic.
consider these factors.

1) Cutting is taboo (who cares why) society has already pre-determined it to be"bad" and "wrong" so you have new generations growing up believing this is so without question. Long winded preachers...people becommong disgusted in you for no other reason than because you cut.

2) You are only hurting yourself. But it helps you in a way. Should our morals interere with anothers life if you're the only one directly...DIRECTLY linked (for anyone who doesn't understand the diff between indirect and direct..i capped it so you will think long and hard before picking apart my words)

3)"It is just and exit or escape from reality" Okay hot shot..what IS reality. and who are you to pick and chose coping skills. You may tell this person who cuts to take up writting or sports, but this too is an outlet/escape/comfort zone. So how dare you pick and chose which one a person "SHOULD" do based on YOUR ideals.... This isn't logic anymore...it is opinion vs opinion.

I'm glad at a lot of people's responses here, you're lucky to have so many people trying to offer help and advice. I think personally cutting is okay (within the conetext it is used) In your case...it is fine. You are venting out inward pain through physical pain.

You must realize this is only a coping skill, though it's not "evil" you will never be rid of this inward pain unless you talk things out, act upon your true feelings. The joy of cutting will always be temporary. The probem won;t go away, it merely calms down for a while.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:49 pm
Well, i don't consider myself a cutter, since i've seen pics of the sick bastards who really get into it and go deep... and i mean s**t, the few scratches i have using a kitchen knife don't really count. BUT, cutting and making patterns with the scars is kinda fun. and since i don't go deep the scars fade away in a few months.

But i completely understand why some kids still do it. It almost feels like the chemicals your brain releases to deal with the scratches/cuts really helps out in some way to think clearly, or slightely more optimistic about things. i mean, that's how it goes for me, but since i have long accepted the fact that nothing or no one is unique, i'm sure some do it for similar reasons.  

AnonymouZ

RandomFunctionality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:46 pm
The best I can do is just find a place for yourself, and just think, meditate whatever, keep away from your parents for a while each day, and come to terms with yourself, go back, confident, and opmtimistic, and dun let them get in your way. Addiction, is just not good, chances are if you are doing something not vital to living, and you can't stop doing it at any moment, its something you have to work on, and controlling desires is something that some private meditation will help you with.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:35 pm
heheh, indeed.

Meditation is great smile

I did that with green tea (warning...green tea not for eveyone) lol
And yeah.....it really helps out.

Good suggestion.

I will say this though....some things you can do..that are potential addicting...... depending on that exact moment....and it will be fine/okay/good for you...in a warped way.
Not to confuse with drugs...those will totally hook and ruin you...I've seen enough friends go that way to know its true....

Don't beat yourself up for it. It's totally cool. But everyone is right in saying..it is ...potentially addictive.

Like I used to bottle anger up. Then one day...some bully kept pushing me and pushing me...i told them to please leave me alone...they laughed when i started to tear......but i wasn't crying cuz i was sad...its cuz my rage was boiling over....

I think....no...Im sure they would be dead if my friend didn't pull me off that poor bully. lol (he had welts for a week ....looked more like a raisen than a face.)

Is it addictive....just blowing up on people after years of abuse...hell yes.
Does it feel good....yes.....very..very...very good
Does it solve the problem....absolutely not.

Do I regret that one time...part of me did..until I relaized....none of me actually regreted it. It was something that just happened...I did what I felt I had to.....if I was wiser....and stronger then..maybe..but I wasn't...so theres absolutely nothing I should feel bad about...Same with you ^-^

Anyway, hope stuff gets better.  

Niveous

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:04 pm
cutting? I had a similar problem. I liked to bang my head off things for the joy of it. then came the bumps and bruises and the lack of brain cells which caused the stupidingness. self abuse is no way to calm yourself down. I suggest listening to Black Hole Sun. that always works for me. or a bonsai tree. whatever you want but cutting isn't as great as those kids at Hot Topic say it is. trust me. you can relax using other methods.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:57 pm
I've never cut myself but I've done somthing somewhat similar.

Ever stick a really rubber band around your wrist and pull it really far back? Do that a couple hundred times. You get a nice welt on your arm.

I just loved doing that for some reason. And it wasn't even because I wanted to escape something. I just did one day and it sort of progressed.........self-mutilation's addictive in a sense.

I gave up on rubber bands......my friends came and
1) Took scisors and cut all my favorite rubber bands up.
2) Gave me hugs heart

I guess people is the the answer. Have people who care about you and hurting yourself becomes more and more of a stupid thing. Hugs Not Drugs!

cup_noodles

Yami_Ichi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 am
Fenky
cutting? I had a similar problem. I liked to bang my head off things for the joy of it. then came the bumps and bruises and the lack of brain cells which caused the stupidingness. self abuse is no way to calm yourself down. I suggest listening to Black Hole Sun. that always works for me. or a bonsai tree. whatever you want but cutting isn't as great as those kids at Hot Topic say it is. trust me. you can relax using other methods.

Hey now. Hot Topic is my favorite store. I get near all my clothes there. And I am no cutter.
:[

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:14 pm
Yami_Ichi
Fenky

Hey now. Hot Topic is my favorite store. I get near all my clothes there. And I am no cutter.
:[

the mention of... that... store makes me very irritable sweatdrop
I had the cutting habit for many years. It was an escape as my parents marriage dissolved, an escape from negative delusions and anxiety which needed to be medicated. But while I was doing it, the conscious thinking was not about escape, it wasn't about how bad I felt -- it was directed at myself. I was incredibly angry with myself. I was lashing inwards.
After six months of going without it, I ended up in the hospital with a slit wrist. The whole thing is a downward spiral. I sympathize with you, I do. I'm glad it seems you've been able to control it.
My whole body is covered in scars that won't fade. Raised ridges form a web on my arms and legs. I have to live with that.
Usually cutters are able to release the negative energy through their habit. Cutting is often an indication that the person is not likely to try and kill themself. I was an exception.
It is very addictive. This is true. I really urge you to find a constructive way to deal with your problems. Some day, you'll be glad you did. biggrin  

Ignorance is Your Disease

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces