Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
Foreign Interest? (for lack of better name...)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

machibito

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:00 am
As you can tell....I really had no idea what to call this topic...but I noticed that most of Kaori Yuki's works aren't set in Japan (with the exception of Angel Sanctuary and some others, but then AS was mostly set in Heaven or Hell anyways) I thought that was quite interesting because most other manga that I read is ALWAYS set in Japan - I think it's kind of cool that Yuki has an interest in foreign material ^___^ because to be honest, I don't really see that much with other mangaka (but hey, prove me wrong because I probably am wrong....)

Well....a bit random....(actually, REALLY random) but I was just thinking about it then and felt like sharing my thoughts...not that you want to know, but hey sweatdrop does anyone else think the same as this? Or is it just me....  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:10 pm
yeah, I see what you mean!

We have 'boys next door' in the USA.
then we have Cain in London.
then we have 'Gravel Kingdom' in a fictional Arabia.  

alicelights

alicelights

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:30 pm
Thats a good point, manga-ka don't tend to do it alot.
Then in a rare oppotunities that they do... it's 'glamourised' and 2D.
A Japanese person telling a Japanese story in another place with foreign things.

I think Yuki-san handles this better than most manga-ka. Take Cain for example, Yuki-san shows clear study of the history but she does invent things... However, she does it in such a way as to make that fact irrelevent. For she is a teller of tales, a creator of character. It is better than historically correct. She also mentions real historical themes from the Victorian era. Again, research.

I wonder if she'll make another foreign story.

I believe her most recent works are set in Japan. Blood Hound, Death Knock, etc  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:50 am
alicelights

*nods* And don't forget about Ludwig. I know that it doesn't really take place in any existing country, but since the brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales in Germany, they're most likely originally set in Germany and maybe some other European countries.
And Neji might be set in an other country than Japan too, in his memory Neji and his girlfriend(well... more or less...) don't seem to wear school uniforms, and there are many people with blonde hair in the manga.  

Katinchen012

machibito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:52 pm
Very true very true everyone 3nodding I was just thinking about all the manga I have - and there's not one that I can think of besides Yuki-san's works that aren't in Japan (with the exception of Fushigi Yuugi, which is set in China) I think it's cool that she has an interest in things outside of her own country as well, and I think it's something that adds to the unique-ness of her work.

But then, that's just my opinion sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:53 pm
er....I think I just repeated myself.....sorry....  

machibito

alicelights

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:16 am
Katinchen012
alicelights

*nods* And don't forget about Ludwig. I know that it doesn't really take place in any existing country, but since the brothers Grimm collected the fairy tales in Germany, they're most likely originally set in Germany and maybe some other European countries.
And Neji might be set in an other country than Japan too, in his memory Neji and his girlfriend(well... more or less...) don't seem to wear school uniforms, and there are many people with blonde hair in the manga.

Quite so, also I'm pretty sure Wilhelm and Ludwig are German names 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:41 pm
alicelights
Katinchen012
alicelights

Quite so, also I'm pretty sure Wilhelm and Ludwig are German names 3nodding

Yes, they are. In one of her comments Kaori Yuki herselfs states that all names are German, except of "Blache Neige" (I suppose for foreigners this sounds much better than "Schneewittchen" ^^').
And, well, I can't remember having heard the (nick-)name "Idike" before, but... "Ludwig", "Wilhelm", "Friederike" and... Argh, I don't remember the other names, and my friend borrowed Ludwig... Well, these names are German, and maybe some others I can't remember by now also...  

Katinchen012

alicelights

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:47 am
ah, she comments on that herself. I must have missed that sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:10 pm
Ack, just noticed it now that you mentioned it. Although, I can't remember where Cruel Fairytales was set. Was that never mentioned, or did I just miss it completely?

At the moment, the only other mangaka that I can think of that sets alot of his stories in other countries is the author of 20th Century Boys and Monster. 20th Century Boys does have alot to do with Japan, but there are several times when the characters are in other countries, while Monster is set completely in Germany.  

Bemused Dreamer

Vi Sparklemist

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:06 am
Bemused Dreamer
Ack, just noticed it now that you mentioned it. Although, I can't remember where Cruel Fairytales was set. Was that never mentioned, or did I just miss it completely?

I don't think it's mentioned anywhere. You get to know that Julian and Martin live in Aluked Castle, but never where it is located. At least that's what I've written when I roleplayed as Julian, so I might be wrong - but I believe I reread the story several times to get any clue of where it was.

I think we can exclude that it's set in japan though. In my opinion the setting reminds more of England; maybe France - I'm not that good to differ european countries in history, and especially not around 1700-1800 when it seems to be set. But I'd say England, though we'll probably never know for sure.  
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:34 am
I've noticed that, too. It's just another thing that makes her manga more individual and different from others out there.  

The Lady Eyeball

Yuuasa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:36 pm
yah i love how she does that but in the begginging of angel sanctuary its in japan and then it goes to her saying shes going to london (thares another place for you) but then it goes to heaven hell and hades~! and in count cain and cruel fairytales as well as gravel kingdom its in another country~! its really cool (but also you higure seems to be this way....my second fav)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:56 am
I haven't even heard of Boys Next Door. It sounds like it's yaoi or something, though. I hate stuff that's all "romance-y." gonk  

The Lady Eyeball

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff