Pondering an industrial. ;D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:15 am
I currently have three love piercings in each ear, but I've loved industrials ever since reading Housk Randall's Piercing: A Modern Anthology. I have read that book so many times, and there are many different piercings I want, though I think I'll stay pretty safe for the moment and just get something else in my ear.
I love the look of the industrial, and it's very uncommon here. Even my mother thinks they look amazing! :O

I also have my navel and right nostril pierced (the nose was self-inflicted one insane day in 2003).

I'd just like to hear other people's input - especially from people who have them.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:36 am
I have an industrial 3nodding

Its about 6 1/2 months old, and still not fully healed, it can take up to year in some cases. Its an incredibly bitchy piercing. I can't lie on that ear at all, unless I'm after a cranky piercing.
The cold gets to it really easily too. If you get it done make sure you have a hat for come winter time.
They're also quite prone to hypertrophic scarring. I think mines just starting to develop a little bit of it.

Despite this, I'd still get it done again. I luffs mine <3

Annihilation Sky

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:22 am
Ooh nice. :O

I have been wondering, is it possible to get it done in two installments?
i.e. One piercing done and healed, then the second - or would that mean the final bar wouldn't sit correctly?

I also have healing issues, my navel gunked up with pus for three months before it started to settle down and heal (ice cubes and saltwater = <333); and I think all my others infected as well. They all heal nicely as soon as I can get sterling silver into them, but I hate the idea of switching in new jewellery on a fresh piercing.

I'm fine when the skin's healed though. ninja

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:51 am
It is possible that the holes won't line up properly and you'll have to get a custom bent bar.

Have you tried having it pierced with titanium. Its very rare to be allergic to it.

I wouldn't change it, I haven't changed mine since I downsized the bar. Its not worth it getting cranky.

Are you sure they were actually infected? What colour pus did you get.

Annihilation Sky

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 am
Navel was pierced with titanium. The pus was green. C:

One set of piercings in my ears had to be pliered out because my lobes started eating them.

AND YES I AM STALKING THE FORUM. xD I'm about to go to bed though so my replies after this one will be slow. :B

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:29 am
Bizzare.

What does your aftercare consist of?

Annihilation Sky

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 pm
Saltwater and/or body piercing antiseptic at least three times a day.
CLEEEAN HANDS. C:

I only ever react on open wounds. Healed I can take any metal.
Even when I give blood I can't have them use any sticky substance (bandaids or medical tape) on me afterwards, as I get a fantastic rash from the adhesives.

Oh, and I once had an allergic reaction to something, and no one could work out what it was. :O Welts everywhere! xD

I'm just good like that I guess.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:24 am
Have you tried PTFE as a starting material? I'd suggest glass, but its probably a bit too small a gauge for it.

I'd leave off the antiseptic though if I were you, it kills the good bacteria and microorganisms that you want on your skin. Just stick to good old SSS twice a day.

Annihilation Sky

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:31 am
*googles*

Teflon! I have a ring made of that...
in zOMG. ninja

I'll look into it. :3 It sucks that you can't autoclave silver though. *emo*
The natural anti-microbial properties are awesome.

Maybe I should smear my ears in honey or something. xD JKJK. I love natural solutions though.

I'll need to find a good piercer before I get any of this rolling though. My old one moved away in 2004/05, and I haven't had anything new since then. emo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:37 am
Lol.

It'd be worth bringing up the PTFE when you're searching for a piercer, to be certain as to whether it would be a possiblity they would consider.

Annihilation Sky

Genea

Sexy Glitch

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:27 pm
Will do. 3nodding Thanks for the feedback Sky.  
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:12 pm
I have a corkscrew Industrial, and I have to agree - it can be a very whiny piercing. I a forever catching my hair on the corkscrew ends, and every so often it does flare up and get annoyed because - gasp! - I slept on it for half an hour.

That being said, I love it to bits and I would definitely do it again.

Also, yep, it's completely possible to get it done in two instalments. One of the piercers I visited when asking around for jewelry would ONLY pierce industrials one hole at a time, actually, which is to the other extreme. With mine, I got the top hole pierced and healed it with a ring for two months (by the end of the two months it felt ridiculously well healed, and my piercer also said it was very well healed. After that two months I got the second hole done and the corkscrew put in all at once (She lined up the holes by putting the corkscrew through hole A and twisting it in and out to see where it would be best to put hole B - the added heal time on A helped it to stabilise as well, which was handy.

Erm, be prepared to get hypertrophic scarring on an Industrial - the movement of the bar makes them pretty likely to form. The best thing I've done is crushed some aspirin tablets (use about three) into a powder, added a teeny bit of water to make a paste, and then smeared that on the bump for ten minutes once a day. My scarring was gone in less than a week.  

Nekojin_cat

6,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Berts little black cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 pm
i had an industrial, but the piercer pierced it too low and it was digging in to the area sort of where you would get a rook. i'm not sure how else i would explain that. (EDIT: it's not like... exactly where you'd get a rook. like the bigger "hill" looking area above it)
i went back, and he bent a longer barbell for me and put it in.
it seemed like that piercing did not want to heal whatsoever. i went back in february, 11 months later, and got the barbell taken out and two cbr's put in the holes. i'm not sure if the piercer realized, but he put in 16g cbr's when the barbell was 14g. that might have actually helped the piercings though.
it's june now, and the piercings still aren't completely healed, but i'm wondering if i should look at the change i had in february as getting a new piercing. they are a lot less painful and fussy than they were with the barbell, but i still can't sleep on that ear. when they DO get irritated, it's a lot less severe and the discomfort goes away far quicker. but they still aren't healed and i wonder if they ever will.
i decided i don't like that piercer, and if i ever end up being able to sleep on my right side again (i haven't since march 2008... it has unbalanced my face so i retardedly get way more acne on my right side lol) i think i may try to get a PROPERLY PLACED industrial on my left side.
i didn't know much about the piercing when i got it, if i had known what i know now, i probably could've noticed his mistake when he put the dots on my ear saying where he was going to pierce it.

i have a friend who got hers done and it healed beautifully... she could even sleep on that side before it was fully healed. i am very jealous.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:14 am
I've had 2 done, they were uber painful D:<  

Spydr Skin

Ear Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas