Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Reviews
Legend of the Seeker [TV series]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  magicgold
View Results

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:06 am
This is one of those shows that I don't know why I like it. It's sort of unoriginal. I know it's based on a series of books, and it's really just typical sword-and-sorcery stuff, with a bit of Hercules and Xena-style save-the-villagers stuff thrown in. But somehow it both caught my attention and sucked me into a vortex of curiosity and addiction. xd

The Seeker of the title is a dude who is supposed to save the world from the evil tyrant, according to a prophecy (of course). He travels with a women known as a Confesser who has the dubiously helpful ability to permanently hypnotize anyone into being her willing slave (her victims always end up dying by the end of the episode so as to avoid having some moony-eyed servant following them around after that). Most of the time, they also have the world's most powerful wizard with them, who, unbeknownst to the Seeker, also happens to be
his grandfather.
Besides being the Seeker and naturally being able to woo any woman in a five-mile radius, this dude also has the *victory music* Sword of Truth! Which is just a sword that makes an intimidating ringing noise when he uses it.

They all run around trying to find some magical books and boxes that will help the Seeker defeat the evil tyrant. There are soldiers to fight, creatures and wizards to defeat, strange magic to decode, random villagers to save, and sexy dominatrices to avoid. That's right, this show has a little of what would be called BDSM in our world. In their world, it's just a bunch of well-trained pretty ladies with no human compassion whose sole purpose in life is to enslave, torture, and brainwash anyone their boss tells them to and to look good in leather bodysuits while doing it. The only thing unusual about them is that they rely a lot on literal pain sticks that magically hurt people just by touching them. I think these people must have been created to embody all the innuendos that the writers were itching to include in the show but couldn't because of the censors. Luckily, we don't usually see much of them, so we can make up our own innuendos.

Of course, there's the requisite sexual tension between two of the lead characters, and of course, I'm not talking about the old dude. And of course, the tension is maintained by the fact that if the Seeker and Confessor consummate their unrequited love, her magic will accidentally turn him into a lovestruck but mindless slave, which would, of course, be really bad for the world. Of course, that doesn't mean they can't make eyes at each other and hint about what they'd like to do. Of course.

Like I said, it's not a very original show. Maybe it's the good acting, maybe it's the fun of the old-fashioned sword-and-sorcery adventuring, but I still really like it. When I figure out why, I'll let you know. Until then, feel free to join me in my addiction. xd

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:50 pm
You know I've actually seen a few episodes of this series. My mum likes it when she can catch it. Me I thought she was nuts the first time I came in on her watching it cause I caught the end of the show with a weird dominatrix like woman, going to kill this other kind of pretty princess looking woman...no it was the dominatrix man that was going to kill the pretty, pretty prince, in my eyes, and the dominatrix woman was torturing the man. Or something like that. Then the "Pretty pretty Prince" told him not to give in or something and some how the dominatrix both died, yet they really didn't and I looked at my mum like she was nuts.

However, I've seen a few other episodes and the crazy old wizard is a hoot to watch at times. It's an interesting show to say the least and I think it's a combination of the not your typical medieval show and the combination of Xena meets Hercules that makes it good. Of course the good acting is a total must too. Other then that don't know why it's interesting but it is. I can't say I'm addicted to it, but that might be because I don't know when it comes on exactly and what channel and I don't watch much T.V. anymore. sweatdrop  

Moonracer
Vice Captain

Demonic Gatekeeper

50,640 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Shady Hands Squad 250

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:51 am
I don't watch much tv either; I just sorta happened upon this one. Yeah, the old wizard is funny. He's my fave character, I think. xd There are definitely some parts of the show that would be confusing if you didn't see the whole episode or know the history of it. But I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks it's good without knowing why. In Wichita, it's on at 11 pm on Saturdays on the channel that used to be called UPN. I can't remember what they call it now. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:37 am
I finally caught the first episode the other day. It was good. surprised  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Iakun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:40 pm
Don't know why I'm posting in such an old thread, but I actually watched the entire season. Personally, it has nothing on Hercules/Xena. It's a book adaptation and from what I've heard, a pretty poor one at that. The books, apparently, are much much better.

But strictly speaking of the show, it was alright. The highlight for me was the main character at the beginning of episode 6, sword training with his shirt off. SEXY lol

But I felt Xena was a much more emotionally gripping saga with the main characters having much more chemistry and a much tighter bond.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm
I have to agree about the main chars on Xena working so well together and having better chemistry. I loved Hercules and Xena, but one thing that I think Seeker has that they didn't is a seriousness that makes the story more worth an emotional investment, IMO. The goofy, almost spoof-ish quality of the Hercules/Xena stories, supporting chars, and sometimes the acting, I sort of got tired of sometimes. But I do agree that the main chars themselves were done extraordinarily well.

I knew that the Seeker was based on a book series, but I haven't read it. That's a little unusual for me, actually. xd

And don't worry about posting in old threads. Sometimes a new perspective can renew a convo. And some of the threads in this subforum could use a few replies of any kind. xd

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Emanation

Romantic Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:18 am
Never heard of it, but then again, I only recently got a tv which actually works. gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm
Emanation
Never heard of it, but then again, I only recently got a tv which actually works. gonk
eek Wow. xd  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

purpleravenhawk
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:22 pm
So I got the first season on dvd so I could watch the whole thing, and it is ********! xd I think it may be my fave series of all time. And the season finale was perfect! A happy ending that wrapped everything up! I'm hesitant to check out the second season because the first was such a perfect ending. And the network canned the show after the second season, which ended in somewhat of a cliffhanger. xp But the first season is well worth looking into. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 pm
I watched the show and was shocked when I heard about the books! I loved the show so much I bought the first 9....out of 15......I haven't finished them (mainly because I got sucked back into my Tolkien kick....) but GREATLY enjoy and recommend them.  

Quirken

Reviews

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff