Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
The F bomb

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saga Shadow

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:31 pm
Anyone else notice a lot of cussing going on in just about everything? I understand if you use a cuss word every now and then to emphasize a point or to get attention, but come on!
In the hallway at my school, you can often hear people that use F**k every other word in a sentence. and that's THE ONLY curse word they use in a five minute rant! I prefer not to use cuss words unless necessary, and I don't entirely understand why someone would say a sentence like this at the top of their lungs in a highly populated area:

Mother ***** ***** in his ******* *** with a ***** **** **** *** in ***** with ******* *** **** and then you'll have to **** sideways!

It doesn't make sense to me. and it gets very tiresome to block out such an assault upon the ears every five minutes.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 pm
Personally I never use words like that. I just find them very unflattering.

Some people can get away with it, for instance my brother uses them every once in a while to add a comedic flair to what he is saying - and that doesn't bother me.

Listening to people when I am just walking around as they use swears every three words just makes me want to face palm - do they not realize how dumb they sound?  

00Shoe
Captain

Barakiel9909

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:32 pm
My theory is that cuss words are just like any other word, and I use them as such. Not more, not less than I would any other. They're great for emphasis or a synonym, not an entire sentence.  
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:50 am
Quote:
- do they not realize how dumb they sound?

Oh please. :/ Why do they sound dumb? How is saying "s**t" any worse than saying "poop"? It's not, really. These words only become so crude because people allow their minds to register it that way. I think the "f-bomb" is just as innocent as any word. If we all ran around pointing fingers at every little offensive thing said, then Nazi, abortion, and oh my gosh even religion should be ban! Do you know some of the emotions those words can stir? Some worse than when someone utters a pitiful little swear word?

It's only bad because you allow it to be. Any word can be thrown spewed out of someone's mouth and given any intention. Somtimes it's for emphasis, for insult, or it just comes out naturally and used lightly as though it was just another common word in the dictionary.

Oh, and don't give me the intelligence crap. There are tons of intelligent people- and not just book smarts- out there who will unleash the f-bomb at the drop of the hat.

Here, how about you watch what good ol' Stephen Fry has to say. The Joys of Swearing. It's only two minutes and thirty-two seconds long.  

Freiflug

Punching Bag

Saga Shadow

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:13 pm
I didn't say that only unintelligent people cuss. I cuss every now and then, and my IQ is at least 125. I'm just saying that when ONLY ONE cuss word is used in a sentence, and used three, four, eighty-two times over and over and over and over and over again, it just makes it sound as though the person saying the sentence sound like they don't have a very large vocabulary to use. It makes it seem as though they don't really have anything prroductive to say and are just shouting obscenities at the top of their lungs.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:05 pm
Nathaniel_Thomas_Black
Anyone else notice a lot of cussing going on in just about everything? I understand if you use a cuss word every now and then to emphasize a point or to get attention, but come on!
In the hallway at my school, you can often hear people that use F**k every other word in a sentence. and that's THE ONLY curse word they use in a five minute rant! I prefer not to use cuss words unless necessary, and I don't entirely understand why someone would say a sentence like this at the top of their lungs in a highly populated area:

Mother ***** ***** in his ******* *** with a ***** **** **** *** in ***** with ******* *** **** and then you'll have to **** sideways!

It doesn't make sense to me. and it gets very tiresome to block out such an assault upon the ears every five minutes.

I swear on a moderate level, and only when appropriate. These people sound like they're swearing because it makes them feel tough or cool.  

The_Gadfly

12neowolf34

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:14 pm
I like to think I'm pretty intelligent for my age, and f*ck happens to be my favorite word. Although I dont use it in every word of every sentence, I think f*ck is a meaningful and versatile word. There are times when it is inappropriate, but when possible, I thoroughly enjoy whippin' out with a good old-fashioned "motherf*cker".  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:25 pm
In a general study done by yours truly I manged to break down the F bomb into it's minimalist uses.

Lost the game / messed up: *soft spoken* F*

Screw up: *Blurted* F*!

Comical: *accidental pause* F*

Exclamation / Command: *aggressive* F*! / F*ing!

other than these uses I find it used out of context and therefore just vulgar and used to take up space, time, and well brain cells that aren't used in the first place, social darwinism I suppose...  

Kage-Taisen Twilight
Crew

Desirable Rogue

10,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Kaito Kajuji

Friendly Lunatic

7,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 pm
I swear on a regular basis but only when I either 'A' hurt myself, 'B' Want to add a crude comedic twist to something or 'C' hurt myself.  
Serious discussion & Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games