Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Furry Critters Guild TFCG

Back to Guilds

This Guild is about Animals, You can Chat, Ask/Answer Questions, Role Play, Post Pics and lots more! 

Tags: Animals, Pets, Interests, Creatures, Chat 

Reply ~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~
Do you watch The Dog Whisperer?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you watch the Dog Whisperer?
  Yes
  Nope
  No But I will check it out :)
View Results

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:09 pm
Do you watch the Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan? I do, its a great show! Its on the National Geographic Channel, and He really does know dogs. Maybe people here would like to check that show out? Have you seen it? blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 am
I have seen him, but do not regularly watch his show. I did recommend some of his techniques when I was seeing dogs for problem behavior. Some of his techniques may be a little over the top for average dogs, but are good for those who need strong leadership. Might overwhelm the average GR.  

Xana44
Crew

3,750 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:59 pm
Xana44
I have seen him, but do not regularly watch his show. I did recommend some of his techniques when I was seeing dogs for problem behavior. Some of his techniques may be a little over the top for average dogs, but are good for those who need strong leadership. Might overwhelm the average GR.

Thats cool, yeah some of his teachings are for dogs who need strong leadership, its really interesting how he knows so much about dogs though smile and he just understand them, and their actions and everything. Ive tried a technique of his on my aunties puppy, a little Labrador, she gets abit hyper and tears things apart lol, but she knows how i am lol, so she just ignores me, she's so cheeky, but i luv her biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:00 pm
I've watched nearly every episode. Most of his techniques are pretty good, espcially the technique of how to deal with distractions - jerk and release even if your dog LOOKS at something that will cause obsession/barking. I have, however, determined that some of his techniques such as keeping the dog behind your hip very difficult and unnecessary, it honestly depends on the dog...and as a recent graduate with a degree in psychology (woot) I have learned and found a better way for reducing pulling: Silky leash training.BTW, I personally don't enjoy the sound of the clicker, so I make a kissy sound instead. I've only been using the technique for a few weeks and my dogs have CONSIDERABLY gotten better at walking along side me and now look at me when there is a distraction approaching...it works wonders! The Dog whisperer technique is pretty difficult even if used consistently, remember I have danes; also, silky leash is more motivating for the dogs

Silky Leash training video

Ceaser deals with some seriously aggressive dogs and has some very effective techniques, but I can also imagine a lot of people attempting his techniques themselves and causing their dogs to become fearful, which leads to various unwanted behaviors and psychological damage.

Positive Reinforcement is the best way to go in the long run, yet there are still some behaviors that I personally think punishment (such as gag reflex technique for obsessive barking) is ok in moderation when deemed necessary.

Ahimsa is a dog training center in Seattle, WA that emphasizes humane dog training techniques...boy I wish I lived up there!

Here is an article by Ahimsa regarding the Dog Whisperer, it's worth a look smile
Dog Whisperer techniques deemed inhumane and outdated!

I learn something new everyday, and nothing is ever a complete science. If you have a dog that is not food motivated, the silky leash method is confusing...life is confusing too. confused  

Wickefisto

Shameless Pyromaniac

14,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:12 pm
Wickefisto
I've watched nearly every episode. Most of his techniques are pretty good, espcially the technique of how to deal with distractions - jerk and release even if your dog LOOKS at something that will cause obsession/barking. I have, however, determined that some of his techniques such as keeping the dog behind your hip very difficult and unnecessary, it honestly depends on the dog...and as a recent graduate with a degree in psychology (woot) I have learned and found a better way for reducing pulling: Silky leash training.BTW, I personally don't enjoy the sound of the clicker, so I make a kissy sound instead. I've only been using the technique for a few weeks and my dogs have CONSIDERABLY gotten better at walking along side me and now look at me when there is a distraction approaching...it works wonders! The Dog whisperer technique is pretty difficult even if used consistently, remember I have danes; also, silky leash is more motivating for the dogs

Silky Leash training video

Ceaser deals with some seriously aggressive dogs and has some very effective techniques, but I can also imagine a lot of people attempting his techniques themselves and causing their dogs to become fearful, which leads to various unwanted behaviors and psychological damage.

Positive Reinforcement is the best way to go in the long run, yet there are still some behaviors that I personally think punishment (such as gag reflex technique for obsessive barking) is ok in moderation when deemed necessary.

Ahimsa is a dog training center in Seattle, WA that emphasizes humane dog training techniques...boy I wish I lived up there!

Here is an article by Ahimsa regarding the Dog Whisperer, it's worth a look smile
Dog Whisperer techniques deemed inhumane and outdated!

I learn something new everyday, and nothing is ever a complete science. If you have a dog that is not food motivated, the silky leash method is confusing...life is confusing too. confused

Congrats on your degree in psychology! (big woot!) ;D
Yes, Ceaser deals with really aggressive dogs and the more common techniques for training dogs would probably work better on less aggressive dogs smile I love watching The Dog Whisperer!

.. I wonder if there is a Cat Whisperer show?.. I'd love to watch a show about cats.. lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:55 pm
LOL, a Cat Whisperer show would be pretty interesting to watch! I actually heard that Ceaser is pretty good with cats too, he has worked with a few dogs that needed to learn to cohabitate with cats. Did you see the episode where he brought a dog into a room where there was a cat, and the cat attacked Ceaser? It was funny, and he found a way to calm the cat down. Cats can be pretty darn vicious when they need to be!  

Wickefisto

Shameless Pyromaniac

14,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm
Wickefisto
LOL, a Cat Whisperer show would be pretty interesting to watch! I actually heard that Ceaser is pretty good with cats too, he has worked with a few dogs that needed to learn to cohabitate with cats. Did you see the episode where he brought a dog into a room where there was a cat, and the cat attacked Ceaser? It was funny, and he found a way to calm the cat down. Cats can be pretty darn vicious when they need to be!

LOL, the cat attacked Ceaser?? I dont think Ive seen that episode yet lol. but it sounds interesting hehe. poor Ceaser. If anyone here finds out about a Cat Whisperer Show I would love to hear about it xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:18 pm
Scorpiomarie
Xana44

Thats cool, yeah some of his teachings are for dogs who need strong leadership, its really interesting how he knows so much about dogs though smile and he just understand them, and their actions and everything. Ive tried a technique of his on my aunties puppy, a little Labrador, she gets abit hyper and tears things apart lol, but she knows how i am lol, so she just ignores me, she's so cheeky, but i luv her biggrin
|°~ The Wolf is not meant for city life ~°|

|°~ But in the wilderness ~°|

You know that's just for show. He knew nothing about dogs starting out, and the only reason he actually became famous was because he was on Oprah. I'm not sure if he even knows anything now, he's got the outline I think, but I don't know about the actual knowing part.

Personally, I think his techniques are crap, and this new "Guru" crap is just, well, crazy. Funny, stupid, brainwashing, crazy. Perfect for Caesar.

I'm into positive dog training and pack leadership, but I don't need to spin my dog around on the leash to let them know I'm the leader. Just giving them food lets them know you're the leader.

So far I haven't seen really a dog trainer I've liked. Victoria I DID like until I saw her recent episode about not dog breeding. How about instead of bashing dog breeding you suggest ETHICAL breeding.

Anyways, its no wonder ceasar gets bit all the time, I'd bite him too. And this recent crap he's doing, searching for a wolfdog to train, just goes to show he wants the world to know how macho he is. "Look, I can train the SAVAGE BEAST! Obey me mortals~!"

Its sad people actually follow him like a god.

An admin is probably gonna delete this post, cause seeing as this has been stickied I have a feeling this guild is into negative training.

Wickefisto... LOL. It doesn't matter the person, anyone, anything, any negative experience has a lasting effect. I don't see how Caesar is any different.

Also, the positive dog trainer is really good, I amazingly haven't heard of her.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
your Loyal Companion for life
~°|

|°~ Treat it right and it will return the favor ~°|

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:37 pm
Its Wolfeh
Scorpiomarie
Xana44

You know that's just for show. He knew nothing about dogs starting out, and the only reason he actually became famous was because he was on Oprah. I'm not sure if he even knows anything now, he's got the outline I think, but I don't know about the actual knowing part.

Personally, I think his techniques are crap, and this new "Guru" crap is just, well, crazy. Funny, stupid, brainwashing, crazy. Perfect for Caesar.

I'm into positive dog training and pack leadership, but I don't need to spin my dog around on the leash to let them know I'm the leader. Just giving them food lets them know you're the leader.

So far I haven't seen really a dog trainer I've liked. Victoria I DID like until I saw her recent episode about not dog breeding. How about instead of bashing dog breeding you suggest ETHICAL breeding.

Anyways, its no wonder ceasar gets bit all the time, I'd bite him too. And this recent crap he's doing, searching for a wolfdog to train, just goes to show he wants the world to know how macho he is. "Look, I can train the SAVAGE BEAST! Obey me mortals~!"

Its sad people actually follow him like a god.

An admin is probably gonna delete this post, cause seeing as this has been stickied I have a feeling this guild is into negative training.

Wickefisto... LOL. It doesn't matter the person, anyone, anything, any negative experience has a lasting effect. I don't see how Caesar is any different.

Also, the positive dog trainer is really good, I amazingly haven't heard of her.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
~°|

Thanks for your opinion Its Wolfeh, personally I really like The Dog Whisperer, and thats why I created this thread, My brother loves it too, and my family also, thats why I thought I'd make a subject of it and see what other people think of it. I dont have anything against Caesar, I love his show!

Right, that said, I am also into positive dog training, and I made this guild for animals, to chat about animals ect ect. So I dont think that an admin would have any interest in deleting this post, its simply chatting about a show on TV...

I understand you have your own opinion and everything, but try to keep things to yourself if you dont like a show/or person, thanks for posting though. just thought I'd point that out. (Its just chat) thanks.. 3nodding

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Apparently you don't know much about the dog training world. {No offense.} It's EXTREMELY political so sometimes we can lose our cool =x I really dislike Caesar as you could probably tell in that post XD Thanks for understanding~

At first, when I was really naive to the dog world, and we were just starting out our positive training, I really liked Caesar. But once I started seeing him literally drag a dog by the leash outside to go for a walk, that was too far for me.

He seems to be getting more and more positive, at least every now-and-then. With dominant dogs I remember back then he'd corner them to prove he was macho, and now he's actually be much better by turning his head to tell the dog "I'm no threat". He's still not in my good book though XD I'd like to seem him tone it down just a LITTLE, and I'd be much happier.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
~°|

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Scorpiomarie
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 am
Its Wolfeh

Apparently you don't know much about the dog training world. {No offense.} It's EXTREMELY political so sometimes we can lose our cool =x I really dislike Caesar as you could probably tell in that post XD Thanks for understanding~

At first, when I was really naive to the dog world, and we were just starting out our positive training, I really liked Caesar. But once I started seeing him literally drag a dog by the leash outside to go for a walk, that was too far for me.

He seems to be getting more and more positive, at least every now-and-then. With dominant dogs I remember back then he'd corner them to prove he was macho, and now he's actually be much better by turning his head to tell the dog "I'm no threat". He's still not in my good book though XD I'd like to seem him tone it down just a LITTLE, and I'd be much happier.

|°~ It is your Guardian
your Blanket
your Hunter
~°|

Lol, thats true, Ive never owned a dog, and so I dont really know 'much' about the dog training world. Its okay, Your welcome smile

As it was mentioned earlier in the thread, Ceaser trains mainly really aggressive dogs, so not all of his techniques would work on the less aggressive dogs. Some dogs just need strong leadership. wink

and His Techniques seem to work well, so I like him anyway lol! Thanks for posting. smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:13 pm
I have watched The Dog Whisperer a few time and I have to agree that he can be over the time at times but I still like him. Also I have seen his teaching really work. My sister has a Pitt Bull/mix, named Blake, who got attacked by another dog while my sister had Blake on a leash. I knew Blake before he was attacked and after he was so messed up sad to see him. But then my sister found the book The Dog Whisperer taking the teaching to heart and now after about three years of hard work she allows Blake to play with her sister-in-law's little 30 pound mix. They still watch him closely and only let them play for about 30 min max but I really do think that without Cesar Millan book they would have put him down. Another good dog training show, I think that it is, called It's Me or The Dog with Victoria Stillwell (sp?) on Animal Planet.  

Kichuna

8,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Wall Street 200

Kuroos

Ice-Cold Cat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:34 pm
i currently have no cable D:  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 am
idont really like him much at all. to me it seems like he is out to prove himself rather than properly helping dogs. im not a fan of negative training. i would much rather a dog be good to me out of respect than fear.

yes sometimes being a forcefull bully is needed but he treats every single dog the same. he forces the dog to adapt to his way of training

i much prefer victoria. she has her own idiot moments but for the most part she gives good information and she doesnt seem nearly as self absorbed  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

xRiver Of Bloody Tearsx
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:00 pm
I have watched it a few times. It's pretty interesting acctually. Lol my grandpa thinks he's a dog whisperor and stuff  
~!~ The Furry Critters Guild TFCG ~!~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games