Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Just a random question for the knitters...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:20 am
Does anyone have any idea why the chain craft stores don't carry 16" circular needles? I needed a pair to work on a smaller version of my kitty hat... since I thought DPNs were cumbersome, and not one store I looked in had them. I would kind of think that stores would carry something smaller than 29"... I mean, not just for hats (which are a pretty common thing to knit)... but what about the sock knitters? o_O

My quest does have a happy ending, though. I ended up Googling yarn stores in my area, and I ended up finding something in town that not only had what I needed, but they had an AMAZING selection of yarn... totally better than anything I've come across yet. I just need to finish up some of the other work on my plate... and dig up a lot of money somehow. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:17 am
Circulars are the two needles with a strip of plastic between them, right? Could you modify a pair of needles with some super glue and a bit of cord?  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:04 pm
ScribblerChrislea
Circulars are the two needles with a strip of plastic between them, right? Could you modify a pair of needles with some super glue and a bit of cord?

I definitely thought about it. But I'd be afraid it'd fall apart and I'd lose my project.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:31 pm
The smallest pair I have are 19" and came in one of those kits where you can exchange the needle tips for a larger or smaller gauge. Those needles make a hat-sized tube of knitted fabric...and I think I'm gonna google my hometown for yarn stores too!  

Umberella

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 pm
Umberella
The smallest pair I have are 19" and came in one of those kits where you can exchange the needle tips for a larger or smaller gauge. Those needles make a hat-sized tube of knitted fabric...and I think I'm gonna google my hometown for yarn stores too!

Yeah, you'd be really surprised with what you might find. I figured I was going to have to drive at least an hour to find something... or just order online.

And I'm thinking about asking for interchangeable needles for Christmas. :3  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:47 pm
DecemberFlower
Umberella

Yeah, you'd be really surprised with what you might find. I figured I was going to have to drive at least an hour to find something... or just order online.

And I'm thinking about asking for interchangeable needles for Christmas. :3
Michaels has a gorgeous set, the needles go from size 2 to at least 13 or 15, and it comes in a zip-up case, but its $70 sweatdrop tired asking for it for my birthday and that didnt go over well, cuz i have my aunts from like the seventies. it doesnt go past size 6 though, but i manage  

gemini6184

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:04 pm
Yeah, chain craft stores stink for selection. For people that don't have a local yarn store and don't want to buy online, you can google the "magic loop" method where you can use one really long circular needle; like a 32 incher. This also alleviates your need for DPNs at the top of the hat. Since I'm an avid hat maker, though, I use a LOT of different sized 16" circulars.

Most sock makers don't use 16" circulars, but some do use 12" ones. The only company I know that makes them that small is Addi. Most sock makers, though, use DPNs, the magic loop method, or the two circulars method.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:06 pm
I've been wondering about the 29" thing myself. It's too small for most sweaters but too big for hats, socks, or scarves. What do you use 29" needles for?  

midara the happy banshee

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:08 pm
midara the happy banshee
I've been wondering about the 29" thing myself. It's too small for most sweaters but too big for hats, socks, or scarves. What do you use 29" needles for?

It's fine for most sweaters, you just scrunch the stitches on the cord. Also great for baby blankents to knit flat, but you need more room than a straight needle will give you. I've personally used them for felted bags.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 pm
I hear ya. I did manage to find a pair of 16 inch circs in bamboo, but I haven't seen them since (I think I got them from AC Moore). I sometimes see longer ones (32 inch), but it's really rare for me to spot the shorter ones. sad

I went out and bought the Boyne interchangable set. Although it does make knitting in the winter a bit.... bothersome. Cooooooold needles! gonk

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:29 pm
midara the happy banshee

Baby blankets. Sometimes it's a bit of a tight squeeze, but usually, the blanket fits just fine.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:12 pm
Catcheen
midara the happy banshee

It's fine for most sweaters, you just scrunch the stitches on the cord. Also great for baby blankents to knit flat, but you need more room than a straight needle will give you. I've personally used them for felted bags.

Ooh, it would work for a bag. I must try that. whee  

midara the happy banshee

enlith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:12 am
Getting the right length circ can definately be a pain. I used to work at AC Moore (not in the yarn section, sadly, but I was there often enough anyway) and it was a common customer complaint. We usually didn't have anything smaller than 26" or larger than 32". These sizes are versatile, but often less than ideal. I'm glad you found some at your LYS though. Thats great! I'm not sure how smaller circs would work though -- the needle part must be a lot smaller because otherwise I don't know how you could possibly knit with them!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:54 am
Another place to try is on ebay. I found a (now defunct, sadly) company in England which makes (made?) needles I adore. I bought a bunch of 16" in different sizes when I could find them, simply because I knew I'd need them at some point in time and this company made great needles.
I also know lots of ebay sellers carry Addi (which are also nice needles, if not a bit more expensive)  

firrantello

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff