Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Removing "Under God" from the pledge Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HaileSelassie601993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:08 am
When I was in sixth grade, I wrote a letter to the principal. I think I asked my friend to sign it, but he chickened out. (He didn't know his rights.) One of the recommendations was to, when broadcasting the Pledge, take out "Under God." That was in 2003, near the time of the Newdow case thingy. I did not succeed. However, I did succeed in getting my principal to decree that the cafeteria workers use hair-covering things when serving food. That was nice.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:59 pm
I'm going to take the opposite stance here--I recite, and completely mean, the entire pledge. Here's why:

Francis Bellamy
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands.

And indeed I do. I believe America has the best system of government practical, considering human nature. Everyone has a voice. One person can rise to the presidency and change the world. Everyone has a chance. (Note: the above statements were made of the ideal America--whether or not this could ever exist is open to debate, but I think it can, and it will. I'm keeping my hopes up.)

Francis Bellamy
One nation, under God, indivisable,

Ah, the all important "Under God." I say this, too, because
  1. the majority of Americans do believe in some form of deity, so the country, collectively, believes in some form of deity. I see this clause as an additional identifier to the nation I am pledging allegiance.
  2. if there is, will be, or ever was a God, we are most certainly under him/her. If the country began believing it was a deity itself, then my pledge would be null and void, and I could leave the meglomaniacs in peace.
As to "indivisable," though the Civil War proved this wrong, effectively, it is still illegal for a state to secede; therefore, we are (legally) indivisable.

Francis Bellamy
with liberty and justice for all.

I endorse these principals, and support their application in any government.  

DivideByZero14

gigacannon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:19 am
Patriotism is a bad thing. Forcing kids to spew 'patriotic' pledges with the word 'God' in them is indoctrination, programming.

We should break down the completely artificial barriers between states and nations. All of humanity should work together towards common goals. It just makes sense.  
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:51 am
I've stopped saying the Pledge. I just stand now. I think pretty soon I'm just going to sit during it.

FalseDiagnosis

Redem

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:20 pm
gigacannon
Patriotism is a bad thing. Forcing kids to spew 'patriotic' pledges with the word 'God' in them is indoctrination, programming.

Agreed.

gigacannon
We should break down the completely artificial barriers between states and nations. All of humanity should work together towards common goals. It just makes sense.

Oh noes! A member of the Evil One World Government Conspiracy!!!!

Rationality and reason is in short supply unfortunately.  
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:10 pm
Pledging your Allegiance to someone you don't believe in, that sounds quite silly to me. I don't see why I'd have to get up and say the pledge. In Middle School, they forced me to do the Pledge otherwise I would get a detention. I went with it anyway.

FalseDiagnosis, we're not allowed to sit. If you're Atheist, Agnostic, Jahova's (sp?) Witness, or any other Religion, you have to stand. I think it's dumb. =/

Anyway, one more of my opinion's is that, it's Genocide. It's basically saying Christianity is the Religion to be when you recite that pledge in the morning, ya' know? So, when you tell someone that you're Atheist you get a crapload of questions. That was like when I told people I was Partially Color Blind. Bad Idea.  

Kaioke

ValentineWiggin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:26 am
I skip "Under God" every morning I even put my hand off my heart during that part. Not many people notice or care, even if they arent christians. I think it sounds better without under god anyways.

Pledge without Under God

I pledge alligence to the flag, of the united states of america, and to the republic for which it stands one nation, with liberty and justice for all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:26 pm
It should be taken out now that the Red Scare is over, but it probably won't.

And seriously, is it really worth fighting for?

I just don't say it.  

Lethkhar

Minozake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:08 pm
We recite it every first day of the school week, usually a Monday. I just skip the, "under God," part because it's my right. If anyone has a problem with it, I would tell them the right given to every American citizen in the First Amendment. If they hate my exercizing my right, well, that's tought.

I stand and recite the Pledge with my hand over my heart because even if I think this country is in a crappy condition, I still respect it and the Founding Fathers, and all of the soldiers that fought and died to make it a free country.

I still wish that they would remove those two words. It would be nice, but we still have other things to worry about.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:23 pm
Every day, when our teacher tells us to stand, I'm either sitting on my chair reading a book, reciting my OWN Pledge, or just plain shutting up during the "Under God" part. I've noticed that a long time ago and I don't think I should say it if I don't believe. Not everyone believes in the Pledge or God and those two words probably should be taken out...or at the very least,

the teachers shouldn't make a big deal when we choose not to say it, make us say it aaaallll by ourselves after class, or GIVE US DETENTION for not saying it correctly or at all.  

Meisugi_Jaganshi

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:00 pm
Meisugi_Jaganshi
Every day, when our teacher tells us to stand, I'm either sitting on my chair reading a book, reciting my OWN Pledge, or just plain shutting up during the "Under God" part. I've noticed that a long time ago and I don't think I should say it if I don't believe. Not everyone believes in the Pledge or God and those two words probably should be taken out...or at the very least,

the teachers shouldn't make a big deal when we choose not to say it, make us say it aaaallll by ourselves after class, or GIVE US DETENTION for not saying it correctly or at all.

Unless you go to a private school, your teachers can't force you to say the Pledge of Allegiance. There have been lawsuits over that, and the students usually win.

If they're giving you detention because you're not saying the pledge correctly, ask to make a phone call to your attorney. Even if you don't technically have one, it should scare them enough to shut up.

And if you don't have an attorney but they go ahead and let you, just call your parents and explain what's going on. (Assuming that they're not devout Christians or something...)

You have freedom of speech. They cannot force you to do or say anything. Especially if it goes against your religious principles. (Or lack thereof...)

In the wise words of Michael Moor: "Threaten to file a lawsuit. They HATE that word!"

If you go to a private school, that sucks for you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:01 am
Kaioke

FalseDiagnosis, we're not allowed to sit. If you're Atheist, Agnostic, Jahova's (sp?) Witness, or any other Religion, you have to stand. I think it's dumb. =/

That's not true. At least, not in all states. I live in Florida, and some atheist kid's parents(who deserve a lot of respect) took the matter to court here, and now teachers cannot force kids to stand for the pledge. I haven't stood for it at all since 6th grade, when I learned the words hadn't always been there. I've had some obnoxious teachers along the way who've asked me to stand, but long letters from my dad explaining my position have shut them up.

I also hate when people say,"Oh well if you're atheist, just skip the words." The under god part isn't the only problem(though it is a problem). It's just plain wrong to force kids to do anything they don't want to do. People always ask why you aren't standing, it just being "patriotic". So now teachers are allowed to force us to be patriotic? And what's so patriotic about doing something against your will?  

bostaffskills

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces