Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Boondock Saints

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you support vigalante killers?
  Yes, we need true justice!
  No, we have no right do cast judgement like that.
  Only if it wasn't religiously based.
  We should follow the law, not become the law.
View Results

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:01 am
I saw this with a friend of mine a while back, and it got me wondering:
Is their cause Right? Do they have good justification for what their doing? Would you support there cause if it was real? I believe that, despite being inspired by religion, its a good cause, because there are many people out there who escape justice or even use it to their advantage, who need a good a** whoopin'. But I wanna know what you guys think.

And if you havent seen it, see it! Great movie, and very funny, too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 pm
User Image
Oh yeah, totally love this movie.

Now on you topic: in my opinion, a synonym for law would be majority morality. Simply put: murder, rape, theft, and violence are illegal because damn near everyone wants them illegal. The problem with a scenario like the one that occurred in Boondock Saints, is that if you let one group of people do that, even though you agree with it, there will always be another group of people who will want to kill for less honorable reasons.

The law keeps wackos from doing what they want. Even though we would all like to go out and "clean up the streets" what needs to be cleaned up will vary depending one who's doing the cleaning. Then someone will say "Oh well, obviously we won't let the crazy people go out killing, just the ones like in the movie", but then who will go around making sure no crazies do anyway, then you need a police for the "cleaners" so then the cleaners go from being an unregulated group to a regulated group, or better put "extreme police."

You see how it all falls apart. In the end I think it far more productive to find ways to fix the laws to make it hard for criminals to manipulate the system, than to fantasize about mass murder. Yeah it makes for a good film, and is a fun thought, but to tell you the truth, I don't like the idea of people getting high and mighty and thinking they have a right to break laws. As an Atheist, when theists start to the think the law doesn't apply to them so long as what they are doing is in the name of god, I usually become the target. And even if they weren't religiously inspired, what if they felt masturbation was unforgivable! Do you know how ******** I'd be? eek

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:42 pm
You raise a lot of good points. Thanks for the imput.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:42 pm
well this is a split question some people support vigilantes because they will bring justice but others are against it because they would feel that no one person or group can have full power, they think that justice must be delivered without taking short cuts.  

Dark Lord Erebus

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff