Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My problem with the Adam and Eve story

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:55 am
User ImageSo we all know the Adam and Eve story, right? God tells them they can eat of any tree in the garden except this one tree - the tree of knowledge of good and evil. If they eat of that tree, they will gain knowledge like God has and then they will die. The serpent convinces Eve to eat an apple from that tree, and she gives some to Adam. They realize, "oops, we're nekkid!" and hide themselves when they hear God coming. God flips his s**t, curses the serpent and kicks Adam and Eve out of the garden, dooming them to eventual death, etc.

I have one BIG problem with this story. Prior to eating the apple, Adam and Eve have no knowledge of good and evil. They have been told not to do something, but they have no basis for knowing that disobeying that order was something that was "evil" or "bad." Their punishment is like kicking a small child out into the street just because it coloured on the walls with a crayon. It's totally unjust, but since "God did it," it's suddenly supposed to be righteous? Bull ******** s**t.

This also brings me to the point that those Christians who claim that we can't possibly understand why it's righteous for God to act like that because we are lowly humans. According to the story, God turned them out of the garden and out of immortality because they had become just like him in their knowledge of good vs. evil. If we are supposed to have logical faculties equal to those of God, this religious argument falls flat on its face.

I've been planning loosely on reading back through the Bible and writing about my issues I have with it, and this story is one of the reasons why.User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:08 pm
well in the story god gave Adam and Eve immortal powers they literary could do anything they wanted except eat the fruit of the single tree so to put it with that boy he could draw on every wall except for one. But they ate the fruit which gave them fears like insecurity (why they made clothes) and common sense which they never knew about with their care free lives. with all the ability's god gave them they broke the single rule. What they did has a name it's called the Lucifer effect, cause when god made people he didn't want them to live only to follow the rules so he gave them free will but god's best angel Lucifer told him that free will would destroy all paradises, to prove this he went to the curious Adam and Eve and twisted their free will with curiosity. They knew it was wrong but they did it.

In a way of saying most Christians think that we're wrong because they never got or were able to resist that little push to question their beliefs, so they think were wrong because we wondered beyond their lines, I hope this information helps.  

Dark Lord Erebus

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:56 pm
If the story of Adam and Eve is true then weir all inbred.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:16 am
Dark Lord Erebus
well in the story god gave Adam and Eve immortal powers they literary could do anything they wanted except eat the fruit of the single tree so to put it with that boy he could draw on every wall except for one. But they ate the fruit which gave them fears like insecurity (why they made clothes) and common sense which they never knew about with their care free lives. with all the ability's god gave them they broke the single rule. What they did has a name it's called the Lucifer effect, cause when god made people he didn't want them to live only to follow the rules so he gave them free will but god's best angel Lucifer told him that free will would destroy all paradises, to prove this he went to the curious Adam and Eve and twisted their free will with curiosity. They knew it was wrong but they did it.

In a way of saying most Christians think that we're wrong because they never got or were able to resist that little push to question their beliefs, so they think were wrong because we wondered beyond their lines, I hope this information helps.
User ImageI think you might have missed my intent here. One, please show me in the Bible where Lucifer went to God and told him that free will would destroy paradise before he went to Adam and Eve. It was "the serpent" who went to them; it never says it was Lucifer. Plus, the serpent did not discuss this with God beforehand. What you're claiming here is, as far as I can tell, a traditional, but non-Biblical, myth.

And despite the fact that they were allowed to "colour on all the other walls," so to speak, they still had no knowledge of good and evil before eating of that tree. The tree was The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. It didn't give them fear and insecurity in and of themselves; it gave them the knowledge that it was not "good" to be naked in front of God.User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

adolfchrist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:35 am
The part about the snake telling them to eat from the tree always gets me, because snakes dont do that. It turns it into a fairy tale.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:40 am
I agree with you completely. It's completely illogical. If he did exist, God must be a right b*****d. It's unrealistically unfair for him to punish someone who had no knowledge of what is good or bad. He told them not to eat from that tree, yet because they had no sense of good or evil, they couldn't possibly see the reasoning behind it. Also, Eve did not have any reason to not to trust the snake. He gave her an alternate idea than what God had given her, but because she didn't know of good or evil, she couldn't question his motives. Or god's motives, for that matter.

It's all just so stupid.  

MissDemeter

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am
adolfchrist
The part about the snake telling them to eat from the tree always gets me, because snakes dont do that. It turns it into a fairy tale.

Then you'll get a kick out of the Salamander Letter. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:26 am
Dathu
adolfchrist

User ImageWhat's the Salamander Letter? O.o;User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:09 pm
Whoever wrote the bible cleary didn't think their little stories through very well did they?

*smirks amusedly*  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am
Why would god put the tree there in the first place if he expects Adam and Eve to follow him? Why did he put the snake there if god knew it was evil? This story is just a fairy tale some christians actually believe in.  

Ryukenzy

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Dathu
adolfchrist

User ImageWhat's the Salamander Letter? O.o;User Image

It was a document that popped up claiming that the founder of the Latter-day Saints was spoken to by a salamander. It was, of course, a fake, but then, aren't they all. xd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:38 pm
Honey,

it's just a story.

XD

of course, to the christians whatever god does is righteous. You know why? because christians are dumb like that.

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:43 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
Honey,

it's just a story.

XD

of course, to the christians whatever god does is righteous. You know why? because christians are dumb like that.
User ImageI find the use of "honey" here to be rather patronizing, so please refrain from calling me that. Of course it is just a story to us, non-believers in Biblical mythology. But there are millions of people who believe it happened and use it as the basis for their entire worldview. There's no need to act like I'm mentally deficient for feeling the need to express a flaw in this.User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:42 am
It seems to me that people were simpler back when these stories were written and compiled and the people who made them either didn't realize the contradictions, didn't expect anyone back then to realize them, or decided that the contradictions would somehow make their god seem more "mysterious and powerful".  

Henneth Annun

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff