Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Study (Research)
The Sabbats- Samhain (Finished Research!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your favorite Sabbat?
Samhain!
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Yule!
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Imbolc!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ostara!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Beltane!
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Litha!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lughnasadh (Lammas)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mabon!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Pebble in my shoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm
Hi, I'm Eve, and I'll be posting the research I do on here, because I'm doing my whole training thing, and I thought this might help anyone who has any questions. And please, if there's any errors and such, message me so I can fix it. I don't want any false information on this.

all of my information has come from these sites
http://www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/samhainlore.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/spirits_of_light/index.html
http://www.rosewicketwiccacoven.com/recipies.htm
http://www.angelfire.com/on/wicca/Sabbats.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:19 pm
Samhain (October 31st)
Celebrated on “Halloween” Wiccan new year, originally called “Feast of the dead” When the veil between the living and the dead is thin. Pronounced SOW-in SAH-vin or SAM-hayne

SYMBOLISM OF SAMHAIN
Third harvest, the Dark Mysteries, Rebirth through Death

SYMBOLS OF SAMHAIN
Gourds, apples, black cats, Jack-o-lanters, besoms (a bundle of twigs attached to the ed of a stick, usd as a broom) balefire, masks, The Cauldron, Waning moon.

OTHER NAMES
Halloween, Hallowmas, All Hallows Eve, Day of the Dead, Feast of the Spirits, Third Harvest, Samonios, All Saints Eve, Martinmas, Celtic New Year, Samhuinn, Celtic Winter, Samana, Festival of Pamona, Vigil of Todos, Santos

HERBS OF SAMHAIN
Mugwort, Allspice, Broom, Catnip, Deadly Nighshade, Mandrake, Oak Leaves, Sage and Straw

FOOD OF SAMHAIN
Beets, turnips, apples, corn, nuts, gingerbread, cider, mulled wines, gourds beef, pork, poultry

INCENSE OF SAMHIAN
Heliotrope, mint, nutmeg

COLORS OF SAMHAIN
Black, orange, white, silver, gold, red

STONES OF SAMHAIN
Obsidian, onyx, carnelian, jet, all black stones

ACTIVITIES OF SAMHAIN
Divination past life recall, spirit contats, meditation, drying winter herbs

TABOOS OF SAMHAIN
Travel after dark, eating grapes or berries

ANIMALS OF SAMHAIN
Bats cats and dogs

ATTUNEMENT TEAS OF SAMHAIN (INDIVIDUALLY OR BLENDED)
Apple cider, angelica, catnip, Indian hyppo, sage, valerian

RITUAL OILS OF SAMHAIN
Frankincense, basil, yarrow, lilac, ylang-ylang, camphor, clove

DIETIES OF SAMHAIN
All Crone Goddesses, The Dying/Dead God

GODDESSES OF SAMHAIN
All Crone Goddesses, Al-llat, Babd , Bebhionn , Brunhilde , Carlin , Cerridwen , Devanyani , Edda , Eris , Frau Holde , All Under World Goddesses, Baba Yaga , Bast , Bronach , Caillech/Cailleac , Cassandra , Crobh Dearg , Dolya , Elli , Fortuna , Frigga/Frey , Hakea , Hel , Inanna , Kali , Kele-De , Macha , Mari , Marzana , Nicnevin , Psyche , Remati , Zorya Vechernaya , Hecate , Husbishag , Ishtar , Kalma , Lilith , Mara , Mari-Ama , The Morrigu/Morrigan , Pamona , The Queen of Elphame , Rhiannon .

GODS OF SAMHAIN
All Death Gods, All Aged Gods, All Underworld Gods, Am-Heh , Arawn , Corn Father , Coyote Brother , Dis , Eite-Ade , Ghede , Hades , Heimdall , The Great Horned God , Kronos/Cronus , Loki , Maderha , Nefertum , Odin , Pluto , Rangi , Samana , Sekhet , Woden , Xocatl.

LORE OF SAMHAIN
It is traditional on Samhain night to leave a plate of food outside the home for the souls of the dead, and a candle placed in the windle guids them to the lands of eternal summer, and burying apples in the hard packed earth “feeds” the passed ones on their journey.  

Pebble in my shoe

Pebble in my shoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:13 am
Recipes of Samhain

(These recipes are non-alcoholic, and vegetarian. They are altered to contain no nuts or meats, more containing meat on websites used above.)

CHOCOLATE DE MEXICANOS (SERVES 4)
4 ¼ cups of milk
4 ounces of semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
5 tablespoons of sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1/8 Teaspoon allspice
Place all ingredients in large saucepan and bring to a boil. With hand held mixer, or traditional molonillo (a wooden beater resembling a honey dipper), beat the mixture until it stops boiling and becomes slightly frothy. Serve immediately in mugs garnished with cinnamon sticks.

COLCANNON (SERVES 8 )
4 cups mashed potatoes
2 ½ cabbage, cooked and chopped fine
½ cup butter (avoid corn oil margarines, as they do not add the needed body and flavor)
½ cup evaporated milk or cream
¾ cup onion, chopped fine and sautéed
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Sautee onion, boil the potatoes and mash them (do not use artificial potato flakes). In a large pan, place all of the ingredients except the cabbage and cook over low heat while blending them together. Turn the heat to medium and add the chopped cabbage. The mixture will take on a pale green color; keep stirring occasionally until the mixture is warm enough to eat.

SAMHAIN ‘CAKES (MAKES THREE DOZEN, DOUGH MUST BE CHILLED SEVER HOURS TO OVERNIGHT)
½ cups vegetable oil
4 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups pastry flour (not hard, sifted, or cake flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Mix oil, chocolate and granulated sugar, blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla, measure flour by dipping method or by sifting, stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil mixture (Chill). Heat oven to 350 degrees roll about a tablespoon of dough into a ball (Yes it’s messy) drop balls into confectioners sugar and roll around until coated. Place about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet 10-12 minutes, will be a little soft, but not mushy. Edges should be firm

EYE-OPENING FRIED CORNMEAL MUSH (6 SERVINGS, MUST BE CHILLED OVERNIGHT)
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 ¾ cups in a pan
Bring the 2 ¾ cups of water to a boil. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, cup of water, sugar and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Cover and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes. Pour into a shallow loaf pan(chill). In the morning, turn out of pan onto a platter or a flat countertop, cut into ½ inch slices. Fry slowly in hot fat (Bacon or sausage drippings) or a very small amount of vegetable oil. Turn once, when browned serve warm with butter, syrup or fresh fruit.

BEWITCHING APPLE PANCAKES (12 PANCAKES)
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 well beaten egg yolks
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons butter/margarine melted
1 cup finely chopped, peeled and cored apples
2 stiffly beaten egg whites
In a large non-metal bowl, sift together all dry ingredients, in a smaller bowl, combine the milk and egg yolks. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and stir well, stir in the butter/margarine an apple. Fold in the egg whites, let the butter set for a few minutes. Cook on a hot griddle in a large frying pan, using ½ cup of batter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and roll up into log, top with slightly heated applesauce and a dash of cinnamon

SPIRITED CHEESE STUFFED APPLES
1-3 ounce package softened cream cheese
4 medium apples
1 1/3 ounce of apple cheddar cheese
Beat together both cheeses with an electric or rotary mixer, until smooth. Core the apples and hollow out, leaving apple shells and ½ inch thick. Fill the apples with the cheese mixture and refrigerate for 2-3 hours, cut into small wedges.

HALLOW STUFFED MUSHROOMS
2-6 ounce cans of broiled mushroom crowns
1 tablespoon of finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
¼ cup smoked cheese spread
1 tablespoon catsup
¼ cup finely chopped turnip
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Fine soft breadcrumbs
Drain the cans of broiled mushroom crowns, hollow out and chop up enough of the pieces to make three tablespoons. In a saucepan combine the mushroom pieces, onion, turnip and garlic. Add the vegetable oil and cook slowly over low heat. Stir in the cheese spread and catsup, stuff the slightly cooled mixture into mushroom crowns and place on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops with the fine soft bread crumbs, and bake for 6-8 minutes

THOUGHT-SEED CRACKERS
1 box family favorite crackers
Butter/margarine
Melted onion or garlic powder
Caraway, celery, poppy and sesame seeds
Dill weed
Brush the crackers lightly with butter/margarine. Sprinkle lightly with onion or garlic powder and ever so sparingly dill weed. Top with combination seed mix. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or until crisp and hot.

LEGENDARY OVEN HASH (4 SERVINGS)
2 cups coarsely ground potatoes
¼ cup coarsely ground onion
¼ cup shipped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1-6 ounce can evaporated milk
¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter/margarine melted
In frying pan, combine and cook potatoes, onion, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and evaporated milk. Remove from heat and turn out into a 1 quart casserole dish. Mix breadcrumbs with melted butter/margarine and sprinkle on top, bake in over at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

AMERICAN TRADITIONAL PUMPKIN PIE (6-8 SERVINGS)
3 eggs
½ cup sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 cups pumpkin mush (Directions for pumpkin mush below)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon salt
1-12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 pie shell
Preheat oven to 450. In a large non-metal bowl, combine sugars and eggs, add in the pumpkin mush, the spices, salt and evaporated milk. Pour in the filling into the pie shell. Bake for 1 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 50 minutes or until pie sets.

***PUMPKIN MUSH*** (MAKES 4 CUPS)
Cut a medium pie in half. p***k the skin several times with a fork and place on a cookie sheep with cut side up. Bake for 50 minutes, or until very soft when poked with a fork. Let the pumpkin cool, then scoop seeds with a spoon. Scoop out the pumpkin meat, then throw away the skin. Mash the pumpkin meat with the potato masher or puree in a blender/food processor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:43 pm
The Samhain Ritual

Tools: In addition to Magickal tools, you will need:
An orange altar cloth
Cauldron
1 black taper goddess candle
1 black taper god candle
2 carved turnip candle holders
1 black votive candle
1 white pillar candle
1 apple
A bolline
A plate of fruit, vegetables and bread
Pictures or mementoes of departed loved ones
Samhain incense (mint, nutmeg, apple)

Sweep area, moving in a deosil manner. Outline your circle with a black cord, fresh turned earth, or salt. Place the black taper goddess candle to the top left on alter, place the block taper god candle to the top right on the altar, place the black votive candle in the cauldron, positioned on the floor in front of the altar. Plate of fruit, vegetables and breads should be put in-between goddess and god candles at top center of altar. Apple bolline should be placed in center of altar, on a pentacle if possible. Arrange the rest of your tools and props according to personal preference. Bathe or shower for purification, if you have Magickal jewelry or jewelry passed onto you by departed loved ones, this is the ritual to wear them. Sit and meditate to ground and center. When ready begin, play some appropriate or soothing music for ambiance. Last the circle and call quarters invoke the crone aspect of the goddess by lighting the black taper goddess candle and saying:
“Dark mother, ruler of the night, goddess of death and rebirth, heal and behold your child this night at I honor thee and thy realm. I stand humbly before thee, asking for thy blessing and favor. Lift, now, the veil between the worlds, as this time-out-of-time begins, that I may commune with my ancestors as they journey into the summerlands.”
Step back from the altar and concentrate on the goddesses candle’s flame. Should it rise and flicker, proceed, if not, silently project your wish to commune with your loved ones that have passed on. When you feel that your wish has been acknowledged, invoke the god by lighting the black taper god candle saying:
“Dark father, aged consort of the crone, lord of the underworld, hears and beholds your child this night as I honor thee and thy realm. I stand between thee and thy lady, asking for blessing and favor as this time-out-of-time approaches, stands ever guard as the veil lifts, keep safe my ancestors, and all of my loved ones as they journey to the summerlands.”
Step back from the altar and concentrate on the god candle’s flame. If it rises and flickers, proceed, if not, silently project your wishes that your loved ones be kept safe on their journey, when you feel that your request has been acknowledged, step back up to the altar and pick up the apple saying:
“Tonight as the barrier between the two realms grows thin, spirits walk amongst us, once again. They be family, friends and foes, pets and wildlife, fishes and crows. But be we still mindful, of the Wee Folke at play, elves, fey, brownies and sidhe.”Cut the apple crosswise with the bolline to reveal the symbolic pentagram at the core. Take a bite of one half of the apple and set it back on the pentacle. Continue:
“Some to trick, some to treat, some to purposely misguide our feet. Stay we on the paths we know, as planting sacred apples we go”
Now take your wand in your projective hand to bless the “Feast of the Dead” Wave it over the plate of fruits, vegetables and breads saying:
“This feast I shall leave on my doorstep all night. In my window one candle shall burn bright, to help my loved ones find their way as they travel this eve, and this night until day. Bless my offering, both Lady and Lord of breads and fruits, greens and gourd.”
Replace the wand on the altar, step back and bow your head. Stay silent for a minute or two as the blessing is given. Proceed by lighting the black votive candle in the cauldron and saying:
“Dark mother your cauldron is a well of death and rebirth, dark father your sword both protects and annihilates, hear me now as the past year slowly dies, only to be reborn again. Today the last of the harvests is complete. This symbolic harvest is of my thought seeds, planted and nurtured throughout this past year. May the good come to pass and the bad be cast aside with your divine guidance and protection, I step into the New Year, may I have good health, prosperity and happiness.”
With the flame of the black votive candle light the white pillar saying:
“As the New Year is born, we are all reborn with new hopes and dreams. Guide we in the future as in the past. Give me strength and courage, knowledge and fulfillment; assist me as I attempt to achieve my goals.”
Stuff out the black candle and replace it. Remove the white pillar candle from the cauldron, and place it in the center of your altar. Stare into the flame and think about the goals that you’re setting for the upcoming year, when done say:
“Every beginning has an ending, and every ending is a new beginning. In life is death and in death is life, watch over me, my loved ones, and all of my brothers and sisters, here and departed, who, tonight, are joined together again for a fellowship and celebration. Bless us all as we light our bonfires, our hearth fires, and the eternal fires in our hearts. Guide us and protect us tonight and throughout the coming year. Blessed Be! Blessed Be!”
As you say “Blessed Be!” Stretch out your arms over your altar as if to embrace all of your ancestors, your departed loved ones, and everyone on Earth. As you say “Blessed Be!” again, embrace yourself with a reborn love and pride. It is now time for meditation and spellworking. Associated spellworkings would include those for protection, self confidence, and dissuading harm. If there is no spellworking, celebrate with cakes and ale, then release the circle, clean up, and you are done! Leave the white pillar candle burning somewhere it won’t be disturbed, some use it as the single candle in their window, but others leave it on the altar and use an electric candle in the window to dissuade a fire!  

Pebble in my shoe

Pebble in my shoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:37 pm
Well, that's the last of Samhain, please feel free to comment on anything on here, or say any additional information I should Add, thanks smile  
The Study (Research)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games