Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Mitch Hedberg's whine and apple skit

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

chemos32o8

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:36 pm
Though he's gone something he said always stuck with me. That I use to express my point of view in an argument about religion and my atheism.

A person said on to me that "if there's no life after death then what's the point of living"?

To which I gave the following analogy.
Mitch Hedberg said when questioned of why he drinks whine when it's know to cause head aches, "yes I drink whine because the begging and middle part are awesome as if I would stop doing something just because of what happens at the end, it's like some one offers me an apple and I refuse because eventually it will become a core"

You see just because there's no life after death does not dilute the pleasure of life. Any way if you read this through I just want to say thanks for reading this. Hope you get the message.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:09 pm
And you could also say to sombody who asks that question.

"If there is a much better place after you die then why dont you kill yourself?"

I know its answering a question with another question but maybe itll help them see a point.. ( Id stick with what you currently would say though. )  

IVIalice

6,100 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:50 pm
Personally, I think having no life after death theoretically gives more purpose to living over having an eternity of pleasure after death. If there is no afterlife, then this is the only one you get, so you should live it to the fullest. If you get to live in perfect happiness for all of eternity after death, why bother worrying whether you're doing as much as you can on earth?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:07 pm
Pixel Mine
Personally, I think having no life after death theoretically gives more purpose to living over having an eternity of pleasure after death. If there is no afterlife, then this is the only one you get, so you should live it to the fullest. If you get to live in perfect happiness for all of eternity after death, why bother worrying whether you're doing as much as you can on earth?

I agree. I just recently was in a conversation about healthy eating that went like this:

"...so I just try not do those things because I like living and I want to live as long and healthy as I can."

"Well I try to live not for this life but for the one after."

I like how a Christian is using the promise of an afterlife to justify gluttony. Does the hypocrisy ever end? emo

Dathu

Newbie Noob

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces