Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
FML: they're going to butcher it

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hollywood sucks hairy a**s
  Fo sho
View Results

Iakun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 am
I like an anime series called Full Metal Panic. I recently bought the 3rd box set and by chance, I discovered that Hollywood's making a live action movie for this anime. At first I thought, awesome! Then I thought, ******** no.

They do not have a very good track record with adapting anime, maybe even books to movies. I've heard mixed reviews on Speed Racer and pretty much everyone says the Draonball movie sucked hairy a**s. There was also the recent Chun Li Street Fighter movie which was also a big flop. Guyver, another series that got the hollywood treatment in the past apparently was also a flop. I think it was made in the 80's though. I saw it, and it sucked.

To rub some salt into this nasty wound, Zac ******** Efron from Highschool Musical is the name lined up to play the male lead of the story. Seriously, I believe this is the worst thing ever. Full Metal Panic does have some comedy in it, but Zac Efron a) has not portrayed the kind of personality the main character of the anime has, in any other movie project and b) doesn't even fit the look, he's way too much of a metrosexual pretty-boy type.

aaaaargh ok this is more of a rant than anything else as you can see... crying They're gonna butcher it aaaaahhhhhhh

Edit: Ohhhh right, and Avatar: The Last Airbender's getting the Hollywood treatment too (There's already material on this: trailer/actor pics). They're also working on Robotech, Akira, Ghost in The Shell, Ninja Scroll, and I've heard they're also working on Evangelion.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:23 am
They always mess up movies based on anime, and almost always with books. xp I heard that they're making a Cowboy Bebop movie. With Keanu Reeves. eek Try not to worry about it. Remember, you don't have to watch them. xd  

purpleravenhawk
Captain

Tybarious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 am
atypical hollywood, sometimes they do a great job and sometimes its "what the hell were they smoking when they make this"

Plus, sometimes I think its all up the option of viewer. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:58 am
They can barely make good anime when they bring it over from japan in the first place. How can they possably think that they can make a live-action versions of any anime right.

most american versions of all anime (animated or live-action) are total utter pieces of shitty garbage that makes me want to rip out their intestines and strangle them with it

BTW, that pole disturbed me
rofl  

xwhateverxdudex

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm going to be the one here who everyone will hate. But....I'd rather watch the American remakes.

I'm not Japanese, I don't speak Japanese, I have no care to learn Japanese, and I think if you're going to read subtitles, just go read the Manga instead. So...for me...I'd rather have a remake or a dub.

Just my opinion, obviously.

[rini]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:20 am
Rini Ikataru

I'm going to be the one here who everyone will hate. But....I'd rather watch the American remakes.

I'm not Japanese, I don't speak Japanese, I have no care to learn Japanese, and I think if you're going to read subtitles, just go read the Manga instead. So...for me...I'd rather have a remake or a dub.

Just my opinion, obviously.

[rini]

No, I don't hate you at least haha I completely understand how you feel. Though I will say, in this case, I have the series on dvd so I can watch it in english and FMP is done well in english, contrary to the crappy results of so many other dubbed anime.

I did watch it all via bittorrent a long time ago and liked it enough to get it once it finally came out in english.

English version, I can understand. The problem here is that hollywood will almost assuredly rape it hardcore and leave behind something not very recognizable to the original. The point is, it'll lose its charm. FMP also has very... Japanese-style humor.

If not handled properly, FMP will just turn into another american action movie with lame comedy thrown in haphazardly and a style of romance between the main characters that kills the fun of what little romance is in the anime.

(I say romance loosely because one of the characters is clueless and the other is in denial sweatdrop )

Iakun

aamiller321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:38 am
Hollywood does have a reputation of killing movies, like look what they did to Eragon! But then, hollywood does occasionaly get some things right. Like Batman Begins and Dark Night. They, so far, have been closer to the comic books than any movie yet. I guess we will just have to wait and see before beating Hollywood with the Critic Stick.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:35 am
Actually, for the most part, I'm with you, Rini, on this one. I prefer to avoid subtitles if possible, although there are exceptions. Unless something has had some obvious changes made to it that make it bad or distracting, I'll watch the english language version. There are some notable exceptions in my library, like Tokyo Godfathers and Pan's Labyrinth. With the first, I couldn't find an english language version and I really like it, and with the second, it would have lost something in the charm of the movie to watch it with an english soundtrack. In some cases, the original soundtrack is essential to capturing the feel of the story, but usually that's not necessary. Plus, my eyes are bad, and subtitles sometimes give me headaches. xp

But as far as live action remakes go, there are very few that are any good at all. So I don't even think about them.

purpleravenhawk
Captain

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:39 pm
I'm just saying that I prefer the fansubbed uncut versions, because although the subtitles aren't that different from the company created ones, at least with fansubs you have the chance of finding a version that doesn't have have all the ecchi cut out of it.
(i'd rather see it in it's unaltered glory, then just hear it more accurately)
And although most of the time it doesn't have anything to do with the story, sometimes they have to alter the dialogue because of it and then it can become VERY noticable. (if not done right)

AS FOR LIVE-ACTION?
Yeah, not one LA-anime has been done right.
And frankly, I don't think it'll ever be possible.

(no one hates you rini) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:22 pm
I love Full Metal Panic. That stinks  

Sweetkitty

xwhateverxdudex

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:21 pm
Unfortunately I've never seen it.  
Nothing's coming.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers