Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
How do I defend my veiws in a argument

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you like the band Sick Puppies?
  yes
  no
  never heard of them
View Results

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:42 pm
I have a christian friend and he goes to a private school and since he started going there we have started to have heated arguments over our religion. is there any way to prove him wrong about atheist going to jail and then becoming Christians?

and while on the topic if you think of any other christian insults tell me the insult and the come back

P.S. forgive me for slacking off on the details I don't feel like thinking up good words and the punctuation's locations.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:55 pm
Well, anyone who commits crimes can't be very smart in the first place, so I'm not surprised that those who go in claiming Atheism, come out converted. I mean, what else is there to do but pray and ******** each other. xd

Even now there are studies showing some nations are worse off with religion. What you don't see are straight A students going to Harvard an Atheist and coming out religious. The fact that inmates come out of jail having rediscovered god, only shows what kind of sick place you have to go to find him.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Dread Chimera

Friend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:43 pm
Dathu
Well, anyone who commits crimes can't be very smart in the first place, so I'm not surprised that those who go in claiming Atheism, come out converted. I mean, what else is there to do but pray and ******** each other. xd

Even now there are studies showing some nations are worse off with religion. What you don't see are straight A students going to Harvard an Atheist and coming out religious. The fact that inmates come out of jail having rediscovered god, only shows what kind of sick place you have to go to find him.

Ha ha ha ha ha. Wonderful.

Yevn, your arguments may be more sound if you stop relying upon insult and instead use your logical capabilities to explain to him why what he is saying is wrong. If you can't do that, don't argue. It's not that important.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:46 pm
How you win an argument is by evidence, proof, and logic. With regards to the Atheists converting to Christianity in jail this sounds like pure speculation. If he is making the claim ask him for proof, such as surveys and statistics. Hearing about one or two atheists converting is not enough to prove such a statement, no matter how strong that personal testimony is. There is the concept of the burden of proof: if he is stating that something is true, such as saying Christians have better sex lives then Muslims he would need to demonstrate that it's true. He would have to interview 1,000 Muslim couples and 1,000 Christian couples and compare the results to reach a decent conclusion and demonstrate he is correct or incorrect. If the person making the claim does not have to prove their claim then we end up needing to believe everything. Hey, the male lion population is 50% homosexual! Come on, prove me wrong! All lions are gay. Are you going all the way to Africa to disprove it? No? Then you have to admit that I'm right. Burden of Proof, we would be lost without it.

The scariest thing about monotheists is they they have absolute certainty on their side. They think that their way is the truth, even though the evidence they have is thin and easily countered. For this one reason, conviction, arguments against monotheists are hard to win.  

Athena_Ritashe

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 am
Shane Loggins
Dathu

Ha ha ha ha ha. Wonderful.

Yevn, your arguments may be more sound if you stop relying upon insult and instead use your logical capabilities to explain to him why what he is saying is wrong. If you can't do that, don't argue. It's not that important.
Well I don't use insults exactly he is the one using them I often do rely on logic sorry if it came out like that.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am
Athena_Ritashe
How you win an argument is by evidence, proof, and logic. With regards to the Atheists converting to Christianity in jail this sounds like pure speculation. If he is making the claim ask him for proof, such as surveys and statistics. Hearing about one or two atheists converting is not enough to prove such a statement, no matter how strong that personal testimony is. There is the concept of the burden of proof: if he is stating that something is true, such as saying Christians have better sex lives then Muslims he would need to demonstrate that it's true. He would have to interview 1,000 Muslim couples and 1,000 Christian couples and compare the results to reach a decent conclusion and demonstrate he is correct or incorrect. If the person making the claim does not have to prove their claim then we end up needing to believe everything. Hey, the male lion population is 50% homosexual! Come on, prove me wrong! All lions are gay. Are you going all the way to Africa to disprove it? No? Then you have to admit that I'm right. Burden of Proof, we would be lost without it.

The scariest thing about monotheists is they they have absolute certainty on their side. They think that their way is the truth, even though the evidence they have is thin and easily countered. For this one reason, conviction, arguments against monotheists are hard to win.
Thanks  

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

The Singular Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:12 am
I like to compare religion to horses in a race, while Atheism is betting that all the horses will be dead one day, and all the people who bet on them will be out of money, which is inevitable.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 am
Yevn
I have a christian friend and he goes to a private school and since he started going there we have started to have heated arguments over our religion. is there any way to prove him wrong about atheist going to jail and then becoming Christians?

and while on the topic if you think of any other christian insults tell me the insult and the come back

P.S. forgive me for slacking off on the details I don't feel like thinking up good words and the punctuation's locations.

a great come back is "Im glad that i dont take follow the leader like and idiot so seriously i know im going to rot in the ground while u keep worrying about where u go u loser and im soooo glad that some white old pervert doesnt look at me while i go to the bathroom really why would u worship some sex offender" i flip of churches and i yelled at one "Wonder Christian" over and over to his face that his religion is bullshit and ppl like u are idiots and are easily amazed by one person who sacrafices himself while there are hundreds of ppl that do that but no one really cares until someone rights a book about it and threaten ppl 3nodding  

SpeciesxConfused

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:45 am
I would honestly find it hard to argue about anything that was directly linked to something that happened so far back in time. Oh wow, you have a book telling you this stuff, good job. I bet that in 2000 years if there is still civilization they would think that maybe The Chronicles of Narnia would have been the bible of our time. Big ******** deal it's a book written by who ******** knows how many people who base their ideas off of visions and things they have no proof of. I'm going to write a big a** book like the Bible and IF I COULD wait a few millennium and see if anyone takes it seriously.

In my opinion, RELIGION has virtually nothing credible to hold an argument on. And then there is that generic line: "Then how did we get here?!" Well gee I don't ******** know but that doesn't mean you have to think it was some divine intervention. I wasn't here when there was a new bag of bread on my fridge that doesn't mean God just decided to put it there.

>>;; Makes me a tid bit angry when they even TRY to argue.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:46 pm
dathu you forgot work out and get shanked xd you can do that

as for winning an argument: On any religion I don't care what it is I've done my homework I can prove it wrong or illogical in no time, Christianity is probably the easiest to prove as illogical it contradicts itself ALLOT, but the one bad thing with these hard head religious types most of them are to brainwashed/into it/ect to listen to your logic and simply ignore what you had said. Kind of makes arguing a waste of time  

Free the immortal

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:51 pm
Tell him that religion is something personal, everyone chooses to see it differently and he has not right to insult your points of view, beacuse it doesn't make his own points anymore valid than they could possibly ever be.

Now, when it comes to ignored statements, just state over, as many times as it's necessary, and ask them to prove such statement wrong.

But if you want to solve things with insults I can give you a few, you know, just to piss them off, like "WHY DOES GOD WANT ME TO WORSHIP HIM SO MUCH? DOES HE LACK SELFCONFIDENCE?" or "God is a woman".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 pm
Well I don't understand how they can say that "It's a part of God's grand plan" or "God made it happen for a reason" Then why the ******** do they blame the individual? So when someone apparently goes to hell as they say, God's plan from the start was for them to go to hell? Wow. And if God is so perfect then how the hell did he ******** this up so bad? And he apparently isn't that forgiving.

God: "Hey uh, you two. Don't eat off of this apple tree."
Adam: "Okay."
Satan: "Eat this apple woman."
Eve: "Okay."
*five minutes later*
Eve: "Adam eat this."
Adam: "Okay." *chomp*
God: "Hey what the ******** guys!? I said not to eat off of that! GRRR!!! I'm so angry!!! GTFO!!"

It's also odd how morality suddenly sprung from eating the apple.

Eve: *eats apple* "Holy s**t I'm nekkid. That's suddenly bad for no reason!"

God is apparently quite the a*****e. There is a story in the Bible. About how Satan bet God that if he took away everything from one of God's "faithfuls" he wouldn't be anymore.
So what does god do? "YOUR ON!"
He destroys the guys crops and kills his family and livestock. Well we now know God has a gambling addiction and doesn't care about taking lives for bets.

People keep saying that Atheist's don't have morality at all. Well, here's a set down.

Situation: Lost wallet.
Christian: "I'm going to return it because I want to go to heaven and Jesus told me too!"
Atheist: "I'm going to return this. This guy may lose all his money if it keeps floating around. I'm just a nice guy."

Situation: "I have a problem!"
Christian: *prays*
Atheist: "Better go fix my own damn problems."

Situation: Cancer Patient
Christian: *prays*
Atheist: *helps fund research for a cure*  

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 pm
User Image

Well, before you wonder how you can
disprove him about atheistic inmates becoming christians later,
why don't you ask him for evidence of such a case?
Does he know any specific cases where an atheist went in
jail and became a christian when he came out?
If there is, then I'm sure as hell you can also find
atheists (or even christians) going in and coming
back out atheistic. If he can't find any, then his whole
argument just crumbles down.

Christianity in general is a pretty weak and self-contradictory religion.
The only reason they have the largest population is because
they keep the followers in ignorance for long enough, and they
attack other religions every chance they get.
So if you just keep your head clear and not get angry, you should
be able to rebuff his arguments any time.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:11 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

Well, before you wonder how you can
disprove him about atheistic inmates becoming christians later,
why don't you ask him for evidence of such a case?
Does he know any specific cases where an atheist went in
jail and became a christian when he came out?
If there is, then I'm sure as hell you can also find
atheists (or even christians) going in and coming
back out atheistic. If he can't find any, then his whole
argument just crumbles down.

Christianity in general is a pretty weak and self-contradictory religion.
The only reason they have the largest population is because
they keep the followers in ignorance for long enough, and they
attack other religions every chance they get.
So if you just keep your head clear and not get angry, you should
be able to rebuff his arguments any time.

User Image
thanks  

Yevn

Wealthy Fatcat

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out