Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Bisexuality

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:36 am
I know that homosexuality has been discussed before in this guild, but I want to know what you all think about bisexuality.

Some people think that homosexuality isn't a choice, you're born with it, so you can't really "blame" them. I think that's terribly insulting, personally, but that's beside the point.

If that's the case, what about bisexuals? Wouldn't being able to love either sex make it a choice? Does that make homosexual behavior from those individuals immoral? Do you believe that there is no such thing as bisexuals, just people that are either straight or gay and deluding themselves?

Do you agree with the stereotype that all bisexuals are "greedy" and will sleep with anything that moves?

I know what the answers to a lot of those questions are from a religious point of view, but what do you Atheists think?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 am
Bisexuality is not a choice, just like homosexuality is not a choice. You don't have a choice in who you're attracted to. But bisexuals do have more options. They can choose the sex of their partner, but the fact that they like both sexes isn't a choice. Homosexual behaviour from anyone is completely and toally moral. I find nothing wrong with it. My mother is one of those people who thinks that bisexuality doesn't exist. I am not. I used to think I was bi-curious, then bisexual, then I realized, no, I'm pansexual. (Pansexual is much like bisexuality, except with the inclusion of inter-genders as well, and gender is not even an issue. I don't care what your gender is)

No, bisexuals are not greedy. I will sometimes joke about it saying "oh, those greedy bastards" to please my mum, but I don't actually believe that. I know a few bisexual people, and they have comitted, monogamous relationships. Also, just because they like both sexes does not mean they don't have discernable tastes. Because they like both genders, they can actually be more picky.  

MissDemeter

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:30 am
I agree with MissDemeter, bisexuality is not a choice. And not all of them are greedy bastards. I know plenty of bisexuals that are committed to their spouse/gf/bf.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:56 am
Glad to hear it, guys. It's always nice to meet people that agree with me about stuff like this. ^_^ The questions I asked were because I've heard a lot of that sort of sentiment from others over the years.

You can add me to the list of people you know that are bi and monogamous. Married for 3 years come October. biggrin  

alteregoivy

Lyonette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:18 pm
I am attracted to many different kinds of people, and many different genders. I do not consider myself greedy simply because I have eclectic tastes. Thats like calling someone greedy for appreciating both the Beatles and Andrea Bocelli. I am sure that with someone I truly loved, I would also be able to separate our emotional relationship from sex. Thanks for bringing up this issue! Bisexuality is so rarely discussed.

Congrats on the marriage Alter! Give 'em a kiss for me!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:30 pm
Honestly, whether or not your sexuality is a choice or not does not really concern or interest me that much as it does others. Not to say that I'm not curious about whether it is not, I'm just tired of people using either argument to try and prove that it's wrong/can be stopped. confused

Whoever said it had to be one thing? Just nature or just nuture? Why can't it be a little of both?

I don't think that bisexuals are greedy, just because you have more options to choose from doesn't mean you're greedy. Being able to appreciate a wider spectrum of things isn't "greedy" at all.  

Henneth Annun

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:26 pm
I'm bisexual (though nowadays I'm questioning whether I'm actually pansexual, but the label isn't important to me), and I don't believe I chose it; my attraction to girls happened just as naturally as my attraction to guys. I guess I was "aware" of it, but I don't fall for just anyone (meaning I tend to fall for personality rather than looks), so I never really had to face it until my freshman year when I fell in love with a girl. Having been with both a guy and a girl, I can say that my love for them was really no different. That is, it wasn't "forced" or a decision I consciously made rather than something that happened naturally.

It bothers me what misconceptions and prejudices people have against different sexualities. It's sad that certain people cannot love other certain people without it being considered immoral or a lie. I've had people tell me that I was confused, lying, or that I needed to "pick one and stick with it" ("s**t or get off the pot"). I don't understand how someone can accuse me of lying, when they have no possible idea how I'm feeling inside.

Some misconceptions are easier to deal with than others, though, since they're not really malicious in nature. Like, one of my friends asked me whether I could get married, because she had the impression that I wouldn't be able to choose which "gender" to settle with or I would constantly be frustrated. I just explained how gender doesn't really matter to me, but the person I'm with (not in a gender sense) and my love for them does.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 pm
I think theres nothing wrong with bisexuals.. its there choice so if people have a problem with it then the can get over it.. its there choice..
i dont agree with the saying that bi people are greedy because they just find both male and females attractive.. and me knowing several bi people, i know they dont just sleep with everything.. thats only a few that give a bad stereotype.  

Nardone

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:23 pm
Divided and conquered. Gripped by fear.
Wishful thinking that it can't happen hear..

User Image

I'm bisexual, so I guess this is a good topic for me razz . I'm attracted to both genders, however when choosing a lover it's often not about the gender for me. Its about the personality. I cannot speak for all bisexuals, but that's how my mind and body works.

User Image

It's well underway but nobody knows.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:28 pm
That stereo type is just a bloated and exaggerated fact that the average bisexual woman has a slightly more active sex life than the average straight or lesbian woman.  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:57 pm
User Image

I'm pansexual and I used to think
I was bisexual (they're similar, really), so I
think I'll leave a comment.

No, I can't choose who I will love. If I love someone,
I love someone. It's not like I'll go, "Hey, let
me fall in love with this person this time!"
I mean, if we could do that, no one in this
world will have any love problems or
domestic violence cases, honestly.

And no, I DON'T find everyone attractive.
If you're ugly, YOU'RE UGLY. I'm sorry,
being pansexual/bisexual doesn't change
the way I perceive you. Just think about it,
does being straight mean that you're okay
with everyone as long as they are of the
opposite sex? No! So why would it be so
for bisexuals? That stereotype is a stupid
assumption and if you believe in that,
I suggest you to immediately change your
views now.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:47 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

I'm pansexual and I used to think
I was bisexual (they're similar, really), so I
think I'll leave a comment.

No, I can't choose who I will love. If I love someone,
I love someone. It's not like I'll go, "Hey, let
me fall in love with this person this time!"
I mean, if we could do that, no one in this
world will have any love problems or
domestic violence cases, honestly.

And no, I DON'T find everyone attractive.
If you're ugly, YOU'RE UGLY. I'm sorry,
being pansexual/bisexual doesn't change
the way I perceive you. Just think about it,
does being straight mean that you're okay
with everyone as long as they are of the
opposite sex? No! So why would it be so
for bisexuals? That stereotype is a stupid
assumption and if you believe in that,
I suggest you to immediately change your
views now.

User Image

I'm pansexual too. I have been in a hetrosexual relationship with my boyfriend for nearly 14 months now, but before then I had a wondering girlfriend.
I don't think I ever even got a chance to be homophobic (not that I'd want to be) as my first lesbian crush was on a girl in my class when I was just 10 years old. It has always been a very natural part of me and I can't remember feeling any other way. I don't understand why so many people just won't accept.  

Ayumila

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff