Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Obama on the separation of church and state

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Misanthropic Altruist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:18 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcvbnzNIjg

I have found this video on youtube a while ago and I felt that I should share it here. How do all of you feel about this?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 pm
The point he makes is exactly why I feel the way I do on issues like same-sex marriage, where the strongest "reason" (if you could call it that) people have to outlaw it is usually based in religion (Christianity, mostly). We are afforded the freedom to follow whatever beliefs we want, so why should I be bound by the rules of a religion that I do not believe in?

If someone were to try and pass a law in America that said selling food or drink was banned from dawn until sunset during Ramadan, would Christians say, "Oh, well, it's in their religious text, so that's okay~"? Certainly not. They would cry, "Hey, but I don't follow that religion! This isn't fair! My rights are being taken away!" Why is it any different when they try to push the rules of the bible on us?  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Misanthropic Altruist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:57 pm
Pixel Mine
The point he makes is exactly why I feel the way I do on issues like same-sex marriage, where the strongest "reason" (if you could call it that) people have to outlaw it is usually based in religion (Christianity, mostly). We are afforded the freedom to follow whatever beliefs we want, so why should I be bound by the rules of a religion that I do not believe in?

If someone were to try and pass a law in America that said selling food or drink was banned from dawn until sunset during Ramadan, would Christians say, "Oh, well, it's in their religious text, so that's okay~"? Certainly not. They would cry, "Hey, but I don't follow that religion! This isn't fair! My rights are being taken away!" Why is it any different when they try to push the rules of the bible on us?
I agree with everything you posted.

And in regards to the example, I'm sure they'd find some excuse, like "but we're the majority!" or something.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:44 am
Misanthropic Altruist
Pixel Mine

I agree with everything you posted.

And in regards to the example, I'm sure they'd find some excuse, like "but we're the majority!" or something.

yeah i agree with you too  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items