Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
God and tv Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:28 am

It annoys me a little bit too, especially since the religion in question is almost always Judaism or Christianity. But those religions are a big part of our culture, so it's somewhat understandable. At least now some shows are starting to address a more diverse range of beliefs. House features atheist characters as well as religious ones, as does Bones. Still more shows, like NCIS, Monk, Burn Notice, and others, have little to no talk of religion. It does strike me as slightly funny, though, that for years tv shows featured all kinds of promiscuity and raunchiness, but they still had to throw God in there with it just to keep things wholesome. XD
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:48 am
Daffodil the Destroyer

It annoys me a little bit too, especially since the religion in question is almost always Judaism or Christianity. But those religions are a big part of our culture, so it's somewhat understandable. At least now some shows are starting to address a more diverse range of beliefs. House features atheist characters as well as religious ones, as does Bones. Still more shows, like NCIS, Monk, Burn Notice, and others, have little to no talk of religion. It does strike me as slightly funny, though, that for years tv shows featured all kinds of promiscuity and raunchiness, but they still had to throw God in there with it just to keep things wholesome. XD
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And just to show how much a part of our culture they are as opposed to others....

There is an anime (Japanese) called Chrono Crusade that relies heavily on Christian lore. They actually made extra segments after the episodes to explain the Christian references, because most Japanese people would have no clue what they're talking about. Man I want to live there again for a while. xd  

alteregoivy

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces