Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Counteract!?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Count ...
  +1
View Results

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 pm
Well I don't know if there was ever a thread/topic about this. Like if a religious person would try to shove their beliefs down our throat with measly verses from their Bible/Q'ran/Torah, how would we effectively counteract it. Well maybe not effectively since the religious folk are probably just as stubborn as we are when it comes with these matters.

From a sunday school lesson (recently)
I forgot the bible verses
but I remember they were talking about how Gold gave us free will between life and death.
Well of course I would pick life
but I wouldn't pick life because I want to worship a God.

Although he gave us free will ... apparantly he commanded us to love him. Well that's kind of creepy. I mean isnt' that bogus?! This God (although in our eyes he's fictional) reminds me of some celebrity who thinks they're better than everybody else and will do anything to get attention and such.

Even one of the true christians (i'm psuedo) ask about why would he command us to love him and yet give us free will. The teacher replied something like that as followers we should love him and if we love him then of course we would pick life. Or something along those lines.

And for the counteract part ... do you have bible/Q'ran/Torah verses that you can counteract it?!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 pm
Point out the verses that contradict what the bible is trying to teach you, which is love, or find flaws in those verses being stated to you.

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am
What better way for countering religious dogma than showing the realy nasty parts.
http://www.evilbible.com/
I posted this in an earlier post, but this seams like another good place to put it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:19 pm
It might be an ego boost to slam such people with things like contradictions in their religion and stuff but to me the best way to deal with people who get in your face like that is to tell them to go away, that you are not interested and then to proceed to ignore them.  

Sanguvixen

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 pm
User Image

Well, the bible is one of the most
self-contradictory texts ever to be believed in,
so if you just read it or visit the site Kidrahs gave you,
you can pretty much guard off any christians coming
onto you. (And rather than a celebrity like paris hilton
or lindsay lohan, I'd say, to me, god is more like a spoiled
brat/baby)

As for the qur'an, I'm not too familiar with it,
but it's supposed to preach peace. You can immediately
guard off Muslims by showing them the monthly
suicide bombing figures in the Middle East. It's not the
qur'an that has something wrong with it, but the
people who claim to follow its teachings. A lot of the times
this is what's wrong with religion (aside from christianity
in which the "sacred text" is already flawed).

The torah is simply a part of the christian bible.
it consists of 5 books: 1) Genesis, 2) Exodus,
3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, 5) Deutoronomy.
Again, Genesis and Leviticus are two of the most
ridiculous, self-contradictory books, especially
leviticus which even most christians nowadays
don't follow (it's the one where it says you can
sell your daughter into slavery, that gays are bad,
and you can stone your wife to death).
Deuteronomy lists quite a number of death
penalties, which god supposedly prohibits (thou
shalt not kill).

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:04 pm
Just pull 1Timothy chapter 2 or Deuteronomy 22:28-29. Then pull Isaiah 40:8 to avoid the "Things were different back then" rationalization. God's plan and it working in ways we cant understand dont work here either since it's a very personal thing, forcing a rape victim to marry her attacker. And on the love thing, how do you love something kills children and how do you know that it loves you? If this doesnt stop 'em in their tracks, cuz it does for most, then it's pointless. Sometimes people will condone this aslong as it's god doing it. I hope this helps.

(Exodus 12:12-13)
For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the LORD.

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
"If a man meets a virgin who is not betrothed, and seizes her and lies with her, and they are found, then the man who lay with her shall give to the father of the young woman fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife, because he has violated her. He may not divorce her all his days.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

1 Timothy 2
Pray for All People
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time.( For this I was appointed a preacher and an apostle I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.

I desire then that in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands without anger or quarreling; likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness. I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve; and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus 12:12, 13 &version=47
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy 22:28-29;&version=47;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 timothy 2;&version=47;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy 22:28-29;&version=47;
http://atheistempire.com/reference/religion/bible.php#BI (every single contradiction needed)  

G4NTZ

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:18 am
wow thanks
so basically i already read the Torah?
(well almost since i almost finished reading the 5 books in the Bible)  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games