Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Religion against violent media.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fred The Flagrant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm
Religous orginazations are famous for being against violent media, probably the most obvious would be the claim that playing grand theft auto makes kids have the urge to kill, steal, etc.

The church claims that many murderers have been influened by violent videogames, book, movies, or shows.

But the truth is, more psycho-killers have been inspired by the bible than any other media. Claiming that "god told them to do it" or something along those lines.

If anyone knows of a news source with this story I would much appreciate if you would send me the link, I saw it a while back and i cant find it now.

=/  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tim_McLean
Trial
Li's trial commenced on March 3, 2009, with the accused pleading not guilty and claiming the mental disorder defence. According to a testifying psychiatrist, Li, diagnosed with schizophrenia in custody, performed the attack because God's voice told him McLean was a force of evil and was about to execute him. Furthermore, Li believed McLean to be capable of coming back to life, so he proceeded to mutilate the victim's body. An agreed statement of facts was released, revealing new details of the attack. It was also revealed that Li continues to suffer from psychosis and hallucinations, despite being put on strong anti-psychotic medication. Two days later, the presiding judge found Li not criminally responsible for the murder. Li will remain in a high security mental health facility under heavy security for at least another year before being re-assessed.

http://nobeliefs.com/worst-quotes.htm
http://atheistempire.com/atheism/enemy.php

I talk to my only friend Jesus our "LORD"! I know "JESUS" understands my terrible desires and ect. I have tords little boys! And the main reason I murdered them little "BOYS", is because our society is so "AGAINST" the fact of "CHILDREN-DOING-SEX" together or with anybody! I believe children should be "ABLE" to do sex! And I can "ARGUE" that all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court! "SEX" is a great "GIFT" that Jesus gave us all!!!!
-Freddy Goode, serial killer, in a letter to one of his lawyers [misspellings, his].

Also from atheist empire and histories worst quotes...
"My children, Michael and Alex, are with our Heavenly Father now, and I know that they will never be hurt again. As a mom, that means more than words could ever say. . . My children deserve to have the best, and now they will. . . I have put my total faith in God, and he will take care of me."
[Susan Smith, who drowned her two children, in her confession letter, Nov. 1994]

I'm not sure if God was a reason for Susan Smith's actions, but it is an attempted justification afterwards.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa
George Bush has claimed he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, according to a senior Palestinian politician in an interview to be broadcast by the BBC later this month.

If these cases would exist with or without religion is unknown. I hope this is kind of what you're looking for.  

G4NTZ

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:10 pm
http://www.ffrf.org/fttoday/2005/april/godmademe.php

a bunch of "god told me to" cases.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 pm
You should realize this is a double edged sword.

Yes religion can and has been used for justification to go pscyho and kill people. Sometimes though the person has a real mental disorder, such as being a schizo, and they hear voices in their heads that they literally translate as being god.

I would have 2 half brothers if not for the fact my mother's first husband had a mental disorder, and believed a god was telling him to kill one of his sons. Religion did not make him kill one of my brothers. It was mental thing, that disorder that caused his delusions.

So when you research cases be wary that you are not highlighting religion as the cause if it is something else. The person who had the mental issue very well can kill anyway even if they didn't have religion or didn't know of it.

Sanguvixen

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:18 pm
User Image

Mark David Chapman, who murdered John Lennon, a
former member of the band The Beatles and a pacifist,
said that he was angry about how Lennon was talking
against god:
Mark David Chapman
("Chapman 'seemed really angry toward John Lennon, and he kept saying he could not understand why John Lennon had said it.
According to Mark, there should be nobody more popular than the Lord Jesus Christ. He said it was blasphemy.'")

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:27 pm
While that's true about the Bible inspiring as much or more violence than violent media, if I had children, I still wouldn't want to expose them to too much too soon. I was appalled when I heard about parents taking their very young children to see The Passion of the Christ or whatever the hell that was...

There's a certain maturity level I think a person should reach before they're exposed to the atrocities humans commit on each other. I think it's a shame that kids don't get to be children for very long anymore.  

alteregoivy

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff