Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Apologetics 101

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 pm
I had a roomate at my college who told me about this christian high school he went to. Their was this one class he went to called "Apologetics 101" if I remember right, where they would try to train them in keeping their faith under scrunity. Like "why wont god heal amputies" and some loopholes in the bible. after that one class, he pretty much became atheist. So what do you guys know about classes like this, have you ever been in one or know anybody who has, and how it affected you or them?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 pm
surprised So the class was to teach faith against doubt, but ended up instilling doubt. Sounds like someone's plan backfired. xd  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:43 pm
Ha! That's hilarious! Good for him, I say.
I figure they think if someone feels doubtful, they'll want to pray to the church more than ever... strengthening their faith?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm
I had much the same school experience. I went to Christian elementary and high schools, and high school included Bible classes all four years. Senior year was the doctrine class, and I still remember the exam question about what was my belief on a particular doctrinal issue (which issue I don't recall) and why was my belief superior to anyone else's. After regurgitating what I'd been told "my" belief was on the issue, I then responded that my belief was NOT superior to anyone else's, it was just mine. If someone else believed differently it was really no business of mine. The teacher marked the response as "cop out" and gave me a low mark for it. One of the events I consider a part of my turning away from religion in general.

One can't help but notice some pretty gaping holes and contradictions in a good deal of religious doctrine once you start looking closely.  

Erlea

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:40 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

When I was a Christian, I held onto my faith when it was "under attack" by plugging my ears and repeating Colossians 2:8 over and over again. "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Now I see that verse as a crock of s**t that teaches believers not to think for themselves.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:23 pm
It's like a class to filter the true from the fake. Nice.  

G4NTZ

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 pm
Out of curiosity, how were they told to respond?
Because if the answer was always "Faith." or "We mere mortals can not even begin to comprehend all-knowing God." or any of those typical answers, that would be a pretty short class.

Also, what's the final exam for that? XD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:18 pm
wow, I had never of a class like that but I do know someone who went to a christian college more or less and she only lasted a semester or two because they had to throw the lord into every lesson, even like math and stuff... and something about getting a chicken ready to be eaten.. and I don't just mean like cooking it ... they had to kill, de-feather, and gut the thing....  

EATSMEATS

Le Pere Duchesne

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:25 am
I'm gonna guess that they didn't actually call it 'Apologetics.'

That said, having a 'faith reinfocement' class or whatever doesn't strike me as odd, nor that bad. After all, it is their religion.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 pm
User Image

Yay another one joining the club!

HAHA TAKE THAT christians! Try to keep the faith
and ended up doing the exact opposite! I wonder
just how stupid they are.

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

xJujuKittyx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am
Daffodil the Destroyer

When I was a Christian, I held onto my faith when it was "under attack" by plugging my ears and repeating Colossians 2:8 over and over again. "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Now I see that verse as a crock of s**t that teaches believers not to think for themselves.

You know what I like probably most about this post? It's totally ******** true. xD And isn't it also true that the bible speaks of God giving humans the will to think for themselves?

So.. I ask you this, Christian God... If you want people to think for themselves, why give such opportunities for conversion against you? Not only that, but why would you present them, and this ability, and THEN taunt them with such a simple phrase as "Don't do what I said", a*****e? That is... Unless you're not an all-loving, all-powerful being. xD

I mean.. I know I sound very uneducated and VERY informal in this post.. But, I don't know... I'm tired as ********, so give me a break.. Basically what I'm saying is... No God would say "Do this, but don't do it"...  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games