Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A YouTuber called Onision

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like Onision's videos?
  Oh yes.
  Never heard of him. But I'll check it out.
  No, I don't like them.
View Results

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:49 pm
He's pretty rad. He said in one of his videos that he "wasn't exactly atheist" but his views pretty much point in that direction. You should watch the more serious ones, they're... well, shocking to say the least. He makes some good points, but I have to ask whether this is propaganda and opinion messages or is it legitimate stuff? Because I was very affected by it...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 pm
This guy's deep but his serious videos are such downers. How many times can one say rape, murder and molest before he starts to lose sight of his arguement and is lost within the horror of the act? Thanks for bringing his videos to the guilds attention, there's something to be learnt from what he says. I'm gonna hafta watch more before I can say much else. This stuff needs to be thought about.  

G4NTZ

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:32 pm
I get the feeling he's tugging on my heartstrings by using such colorful vocabulary. But he's right...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 am
Haven't watched him in ages...but now you've inspired me to do so again.
XD

Boxed_Jam

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 pm
Woot.
Woot.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm
Propaganda is communication aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position.
As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense, presents information primarily to influence an audience.

Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or uses loaded messages to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented.

The desired result is a change of the attitude toward the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.

My answer:
It's not entirely propaganda, so it's a mix. He does give ration responces sometimes but often he's bashing those with a different opinion then gets mad when they talk back. The view comments arent that ratonal either. I find it hard to fully understand but I'll keep watching his vids to find out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda  

G4NTZ

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 pm
Still, when you're talking about an abstract concept like god, you try to describe him in abstract ways... At least in my experience.
For example, evil is an abstract concept... and rape... and murder...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm
What's abstract about rape and murder?

Edit: Sorry, did you mean abstract as in a philosophy term? In which case I get your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_object  

G4NTZ

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:39 pm
G4NTZ
What's abstract about rape and murder?

Edit: Sorry, did you mean abstract as in a philosophy term? In which case I get your point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_object
Yes, I mean when we're not talking about a specific incident, it's abstract. So just saying the word could bring up all kinds of images, not all of them necessarily true or based on logic.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games