Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Something other than Christianity...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Watch out where the Huskies go and...
  Don't you eat that yellow snow!
  Yes?...No? I don't get the reference...
  Enough with the Zappa polls!
View Results

G4NTZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:26 pm
We've all seen things wrong with christianity, which also brings down judaism, but what about other religions? Hinduism, Sikhism and Jainism? Are they just as bad? And what seperates religion from tradition and philosophy? (Some see buddism as a philosophy and not as a religion, why?) Or does no one care because Christianity has the largest population of followers?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Differences b/w religion and philosophy:
Philosophy - seek to understand, path of mind, "love of wisdom"
not built on acceptance of belief in God, but make people critical thinkers
(Related Words: TRUTH; KNOWLEDGE; EXISTENCE; VALIDITY; JUSTICE)

Religion - satisfied to worship; path of heart; "form or worship"; a system of religious beliefs, attitudes, practices
(Related Words: Personal Faith; Religious Experiences)

Christianity is probably the religion that Christianity are against is because there's more of them and because people have been around them since they're the majority.

I do view Buddism more as a philosophy. That's how the EDIT: EASTERN "religions" are like. They're more philosophical than believing in God.  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

EATSMEATS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:56 pm
Yeah, I think some religions are more so a philosophy than a religion, especially Buddhism. I don't put Buddhism down because I think it's good. No constant praising, no eternal damnation threats, and it's mostly to make you a better person and most of all if everyone follows it's supposed to make everyone happy and get along.

As for Hinduism ... that's just crazy. They're crazy. Wow, some of the things I've learned about them explains why people don't believe them.

Judaism has the Kabbalah, which is pretty crazy. Similar to witchcraft in my opinion. Zoroastrianism sounds like a fantasy novel to me along with most pagan religions. All of which just does not make enough sense.

In the grand scheme of things, I think Christianity and Catholicism make the wildest accusations and that is why most people dislike them.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:17 pm
That's why we're atheists. We reject those ideas because they dont make sense and other reasons you had mentioned and other reasons. Idk if you live in the US or not ... but do you think that we're becoming more secular or more spirtual?

I saw in some survey I think
that there are 15 percent of Americans that are Atheist/Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic
in 2009

however in 1990 there were only 8 percent
so i think we're becoming more secular
but then you got to look at the others
i noticed a decresase in catholics
and an increase in baptist ( i think ? )  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 pm
I think it's also a bit of a difference in attitude; I don't think a lot of Eastern religions are all that big on proselytizing. And in the case of the Japanese, they're not all that worked up about it, and it's not exclusive the way other religions are. About 70% of Japanese are Shinto... and about 70% are Buddhist. Obviously there's some overlap there. Strange concept to Monotheists, eh?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:11 am
Lime Zyer, I think both are rising in member count but it's a long way to go. I dont know much about spiritualism either sweatdrop  

G4NTZ

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:19 am
User Image

Consider this: how many times have you seen a Buddhist start a war in the name of their religion?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:02 am
Also, people in South Korea are for the most part, atheist. Or they're "christian" meaning that they're christian in name only. My friends Jenny, Jenny and Yoora are all from korea. And none of them knew the word for atheist, but they all said that they didn't believe in any kind of god, that it "seemed weird". So obviously it's a more secular society than it lets on.

But of course, in North Korea they have Juche. Juche is the "religion" forced upon the people of North Korea. I doubt many believe in it, but they are forced to learn all about it and follow it.  

MissDemeter

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15 am
Meirelle
Consider this: how many times have you seen a Buddhist start a war in the name of their religion?

Well there is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thích_Quảng_Đức

But of course that's something very, very different from, say, The Crusades. I still think it's incredibly sad, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 pm
To sit calmly while being burnt to death... That's deep sad At least it worked out after a while.  

G4NTZ

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff