Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Question about fake fur

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm
Ok, so I have a question about fake fur. I just today started on making a wolf plushie with a large chunk of fake fur I've had laying around for a long time. What I want to know is, for pieces of the plushie that would need shorter fur would it work to maybe just trim the length of the fake fur down with some scissors or do I need to get a shorter length of fake fur?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 pm
It'd probably work just fine, so long as you are careful to do a neat trimming job. It is certainly a bunch easier than finding fur with a shorter pile that will match it.

Good luck!  

KariudoMegami

sablejasmine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:44 pm
i agree with her, i should be fine to trim the fir aslong as the lenght you cut is even 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:38 am
i think their right  

OoCassadeeoO

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 am
You can trim the pile evenly, but it is difficult to get it perfect. My preferred choice would be to find fur of the correct pile height. Either way here are some tips and tricks:

1. If you decide to cut the pile, lay the fur down on a flat surface where you can work on the entire area (or a large area) at once.

2. Use flat surface shears if you can get ahold of them (like these: http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&categoryId=10268&productId=10500&page=products ) Usually a gardening product rather than a craft product.

3. When cutting your pattern shapes, after the pile is the height you want it, turn the fur upside down, and trace the pattern on the back with chalk. Then cut the pattern out with an X-Acto knife. This prevents you from cutting into the pile and damaging the fur on the edges.

Hope that helps. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:39 am
If I was in that situation... Honestly I would have my wife do it... she is a Stylist at a salon school. Lol  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items