Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing: Prose
P.R.E.T.T.Y.B.L.U.E.B.A.T.C.H, Sky-Blue Arabian Mantelets...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:28 pm
These are the first three paragraphs of my third essay. Since I haven't received many responses on my previous two, I don't have 'high hopes' for the response to this one, but I might be surprised when everyone decides that this is much funnier than the previous two and reads it.

Prompt:

~Write an essay about a current political topic that has spawned much debate.

Requirements:

~3-5 double-spaced pages.

~minimum of 7 sources (research widely!)

~MLA format.

~use an intro from sheet (separate handout)

~use one of two compare-and-contrast methods of paragraph topic organization (in-class notes)

Note that I neglected (purposely) to follow the final requirement - paragraph organization - because I felt it was too restrictive. Also, as you read, you might notice... well, strange things that aren't about my topic. If you don't laugh when you come across these things, think about what you've read by E.A. Poe. If you still aren't laughing, then visit Project Gutenberg and download Vol. 4 of Poe's Complete works (link: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2150 Just download from any of the links there, although I prefer the ascii version, personally) and read "How To Write a Blackwood Article".

Again, if anyone is interested in the rest of the essay, let me know and I will willingly post it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:34 pm
P.R.E.T.T.Y.B.L.U.E.B.A.T.C.H, Sky-Blue Arabian Mantelets, Trimmings of Green Agraffas, Seven Flounces of Orange-Colored Auriculas, and Other Determining Factors in the Predicament of Public Works:
Is America Hanging Itself by its Garters?

Public works are much like a Blackwood article. They have a beginning and an end. They last only for a short while. The bulk of time is spent building up to the end. Until there is a revelation at the terminatio. To be successful, many verbum levos must be said (Poe). Politicians must be convinced. Two parties argue about merits of public works. Debate exists over the definition: “Construction projects, such as highways or dams, financed by public funds and constructed by a government for the benefit or use of the general public” (“Public Works”). Most argue about the benefit to the public. Sources of disagreement include efficacy, and public works in Japan and America.

While public works have not been an historically 'tried and true' method of innervating a stagnant economy, the Obama administration has adopted it as a possible solution to the increasing loss of jobs. Large amounts of government expenditure in this direction have raised concerns as to the effectiveness of this type of job creation ("Obama Pledges Public Works on a Vast Scale"), an antithesis to the Supernal Oneness. Republicans as a whole argue from two main points against public works: lack of job continuity, and failure to stimulate economy.

Infrastructure projects instigated by government interest are considered to be a quick solution to unemployment – a new construction or engineering project is created, so there is a need for skilled and unskilled labour, a void which is theoretically filled by the jobless. While Republicans agree that jobs are created, they are not permanent jobs, more specifically, that any particular public works project might provide employment for a small number of years, after which that specific opportunity for work is gone with the end of the project ("GOP: Government jobs aren't real jobs"). In addition to this short-term solution, a government-authorized work must first be subject to an amount of 'paper-shuffling', namely securing an amount of money, hiring private contractors, and writing and filing documents for the protection of politicians against legal action- all of which requires time, during which none of the proletariat is being paid. This short-term benefit is like a river: “the river Alpheus passed beneath the sea, and emerged without injury to the purity of its waters” (Poe).

Sources (some of which might not be used in this segment)

"A Predicament (short story)." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"The Works of Edgar Allan Poe — Volume 4 by Edgar Allan Poe - Project Gutenberg." The Works of Edgar Allan Poe — Volume 4 by Edgar Allan Poe. Project Gutenberg Literary Archive Foundation. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"Free Online English to Latin Translators." Translation Guide. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"Rep. Fallin Speaks about Importance of Infrastructure at APWA Oklahoma Central Branch Meeting." American Public Works Association. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"public works." The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004. 27 Aug. 2009. .

"Obama Pledges Public Works on a Vast Scale." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. Peter Baker. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"GOP: Government jobs aren't real jobs." Democracy for Utah | Democracy Begins With You. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

"Country profiles | Country profile: United States of America." BBC NEWS | News Front Page. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

“Engineers give U.S. public works a 'D'" Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics, Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News- msnbc.com. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

Dwyer, Jim. "Subway Station Ceilings Were Built to Last, but Not Forever." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. Web. 28 Aug. 2009. .

Igarashi, Takayosh. "Public Works at a Crossroads." Public Works in Japan 17 (1999): 3-5. Print.  

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces