Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Just because, OK?!?!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IJustSeeTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 pm
I was raised a christian, but now I'm athiest. My parents have basically been athiests their whole lives, I just went to a catholic/french school that had nothing to do with me...Anyways so my brother is gay and I asked my mom what she thought about same sex marriage, and she actually said she doesn't believe in it! And I was like, 'but I thought you said you weren't catholic? Why do you believe it isn't right?' and she was like, 'Just because, ok!!!' I think she's secretly catholic. She hates it when I say oh my god, or anything like that. And she doesn't like it when I make fun of christians. My grandma is catholic, (just more proof...) and I asked HER what she thought of same sex marriage, and she just said 'love is love' and I was like, alright! HIGH FIVE grandma!!!

What do you think of same sex marriage?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:08 pm
I think it's ridiculous that we live in a country (or at least I do XD) where two people can get married within a very drunk hour of meeting eachother in Vegas, but it's an abomination of marriage for two people of the same sex to marry.

Thanks religion! =D

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Colm-kun

2,950 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:19 pm
I think just about everything Marriage is, is silly. Not the actual binding between people, I'm fine with that, but "You need a ring" is awfully stupid... I thought that religion wasn't based on materialism, but wedding rings disprove that a bit. But also I don't really care if gays get married, I say this a lot: "If they don't come over to my house afterwords and do some tradition where they have a huge same sex orgy in my house, I don't care"  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:00 pm
cellophane tape
I think it's ridiculous that we live in a country (or at least I do XD) where two people can get married within a very drunk hour of meeting eachother in Vegas, but it's an abomination of marriage for two people of the same sex to marry.

Thanks religion! =D

God bless America... lol!  

Kidrahs

IJustSeeTheSky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:11 pm
Wow thats weird, America doesn't allow same sex marriage? I'm from Canada sooo... I don't know very much about them down south lol  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:49 pm
IJustSeeTheSky
Wow thats weird, America doesn't allow same sex marriage? I'm from Canada sooo... I don't know very much about them down south lol
In most states, no.
And last time I checked the slight majority of voters were for keeping it banned.
But it's only a matter of time before it's generally at least tollerated.

brainnsoup

Dapper Shapeshifter

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:48 pm
Personally I don't really care much for marriage myself, but if two people in love want to get married, I don't believe anyone has the right to stop them.

IJustSeeTheSky, maybe your mom just feels a little uncomfortable about gay marriage because she wasn't brought up to think that it was normal or okay.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:32 am
brainnsoup
IJustSeeTheSky
In most states, no.
And last time I checked the slight majority of voters were for keeping it banned.
But it's only a matter of time before it's generally at least tollerated.

If only I could vote...  

I Am A Mountie

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 am
HIGH-FIVE GRANDMA!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:39 pm
IJustSeeTheSky
I was raised a christian, but now I'm athiest. My parents have basically been athiests their whole lives, I just went to a catholic/french school that had nothing to do with me...Anyways so my brother is gay and I asked my mom what she thought about same sex marriage, and she actually said she doesn't believe in it! And I was like, 'but I thought you said you weren't catholic? Why do you believe it isn't right?' and she was like, 'Just because, ok!!!' I think she's secretly catholic. She hates it when I say oh my god, or anything like that. And she doesn't like it when I make fun of christians. My grandma is catholic, (just more proof...) and I asked HER what she thought of same sex marriage, and she just said 'love is love' and I was like, alright! HIGH FIVE grandma!!!

What do you think of same sex marriage?

I believe that if you love someone then it shouldnt be wrong in anyway but most religions always choses a group or minority that it can scapegoat its problems to.  

FuzzBall 005

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 pm
There's a huge war on same-sex marriage. Especially in California since it's so divided (I'd say close to 50:50). There was a recent battle between them where they were trying to pass some proposition(sp?) for gay marriage, but so many people voted against it. I don't see the big deal. Marriage may be religious to you, but that doesn't mean it has to be for others. Some people just want the legal status since it offers more rights... Some people want the official "you two are together" label and to be recognized by the state... No, domestic union or whatever it's called does not offer the same rights as marriage does. I can't wait until this discrimination is abolished. It's sickening.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games